Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tommie View Post
    you are right there,,paint and wallpaper shop
    My mistake then, but I seem to remember a restaurant with white tablecloths around there in the late 60s - or was I dreaming? And I don't mean the Aprile, which I think opened in 1968.
    Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
      There should be a plaque to my father in law at the bar in Searsons lol
      Here's the old pub, Womblemum:
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
        Here's the old pub, Womblemum:
        that was my old drinking hole,,same as me Da,,before me,
        I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

And here it is in an earlier incarnation:
          Attached Files

Comment

This record shop was mentioned earlier on, which was run by Paul and Helen. Must have closed about eight year ago. The Gigs place was opened by Brian Carr of the Doc Carroll/Royal Blues showband around 1972 I'd say. Spent many a late night there after a night on the town.
            Attached Files

Comment

Paul & Helen were in Caroline Records for years...but I had been going there for years before they took over the place ...I remember the two guys that were there before them.....as for Gigs ...many the late night I spent in there
              The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Caroline Records closed down : Don't you mean it fell down ! Paul was a very

nice guy but Helen was very impatient.I think Paul took over from a friend of

his and I just can't remember his name.He was the guy with the beard.

Here's a story against myself.As a kid I had heard that " Telstar " recorded

by The Tornados was recorded " On a Shoestring " and asked the bearded

guy how could this be done.He did'nt laugh as he explained what that meant

but I'm sure he and his friends had a really good laugh later about this kid.

Alway found him a very decent guy but even back then he told me it was

difficult enough to make much money selling records.They always made more

selling second hand rather than new and this has'nt changed to this day.

Comment

There was the guy with the beard and also a pudgy guy with glasses.....I remember he told us that Granny Intentions had a new single out....and the guy with me asked him who sings it.....lol....I was mortified
                  The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I found out that the Gig's Place opened in 1970. Here's a pic of Maxi Dick and Twink and Sonny on opening night.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's another of the three girls (might be drifting off topic here lol!)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Fare play to you AD you have a great thread here.
                        It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Thanks Reggie (I'm only gettin started!).

Caroline Records: This was started as a record shop in 1956 by Anthony Sage; before that it was a furniture shop and earlier alternated between shoe repairs and confectionery. It was taken over by Paul O'Grady in 1963. The building is probably the oldest on this side of the street - it appears on the Ordnance Survey map of 1837.

Comment

Hi AD,was Anthony Sage the guy with the beard ? I never knew his name.

Is he still around ? Whatever happened to Paul O'Grady since it closed ?

It was a great little shop and it was nice to be supporting a small retailer.

I alway go to Freebird Records in Wicklow Street and keep out of the multiples

Comment

Sorry, camden, I'm not very familier with this shop as I tended to go towards town for buying records etc. There was a place on Dean St in the 60s/70s that was similar to Caroline and I spent my pocket-money there.

This is a fragment of a photo that shows Old Camden St in the bottom right corner in the 50s. I might have a better version in my scattered collection showing the "Ideal" but will have to look it up.

Liam K lives in Copenhagen and I used to meet up with himself and Mickey Carpenter when they'd be home for a visit but haven't heard anything from them in the past five years.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I bought quite a lot of Albums in that shop in Dean Street you mentioned.

The guy who ran it looked like "Flash Harry " in " The Belles of St.Trinians "

He had a really thin " Ronnie " and not a clue about music.I always felt most

of the stuff was stolen.He only had Albums for sale and always looked shifty.

Only my opinion but he never got into any conversation at all with customers.

Bought my first Judy Collins Albums there and became a hugh fan and have

seen and met her a few times over the years.Got some Bob Dylan there too.

Comment

Working...
                                X