This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    NO... they had been supplied with 'shrapnel' shells which were useless....after much hassle the Brits gave in to a certain number of 'high explosive' shells only..... The fear being if it all went wrong the shells might be used against the Brits. As it was McCready's gang in the Royal Hospital got a few bits an pieces their way by mistake. One gun was trying to use the field gun as a rifle ffs.
    Yes - he was trying to hit a sniper with an 18 pounder.

Anyway... shrapnel it is.
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
      Yes, I have seen you get annoyed many times......
      I never saw my uncle who took part in the Civil-war get annoyed.....about the truth........
      he was a good man then....Did you know there were 30'000 volunteers who fought from the GPO that week.....no bother......Or so every Joe Soap swore he was.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Yes - he was trying to hit a sniper with an 18 pounder.
        Anyway... shrapnel it is.
        Ignatius O'Neill himself. Dalton tells of how he was left to man a gun for three hours after a sniper sniped one of the guns crew....and the other one went home.

Comment

he was a good man then....Did you know there were 30'000 volunteers who fought from the GPO that week.....no bother......Or so every Joe Soap swore he was.
          Not a lot of them still had guns in ''our bedroom'' in the 50's/60's......

Now go and read you ''whodunnits''.......I will live with mine and his memories.......
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• [QUOTE]
            Originally posted by quinner View Post
            Not a lot of them still had guns in ''our bedroom'' in the 50's/60's......
            What does that prove...nothing except that you still had guns in the bedroom in the 50's n 60's.

Now go and read you ''whodunnits''.......I will live with mine and his memories.......
            No need te get 'annoyed' yer uncle wouldn't have....you just said. My Grandfather had a Lee Enfield between the floorboards in the 50's....he also had Con Colberts Bayonet....given to hm by fellow Inchicore man Con himself.

But none of that proves that Tall Stories and Exaggerations did not take place....after it was all over.... Sure the pubs were full of it....just imagine.

Whodunits they may be to you....but extensive research results they are to me....... I wouldn't dream of stealing yer memories.....but I don't have to believe them.....do I ?.

Comment

• [QUOTE=quinner;451515][QUOTE=DAMNTHEWEATHER;451510]
              LOL.......Strange that My Dad and my Uncle came up with the same stories as they did no know each other until my Dad's sister married my Uncle much later.....
              In that case it might have been what was truth, I can't say either way... But I'm allowed to opine that there were a lot of exaggerated stories told.....Like every other Joe Soap fought with Pearse from the GPO......and they grew and grew and grew....That does not translate into "your Uncle's a liar"... just a fact of the times....ppl exaggerated the facts.....a lot.

But carry on running people down if it makes you happy.........I don't want you to get ''really annoyed''
              Sad you see the truth and facts as running ppl down.... I never said yer Da or Uncle were liars....did I ?.

One Sterling......One 45 Revolver......One 38 Revolver.....ammunition for same.
              I'm impressed... I cant Black Cat dat.

....I used to clean them..........
              Good for you.

I bet that makes you very jealous...........
              Ermmm..... NO.

PS....those weapons were for active duty until 1958.....when it was decided that there would be no more ''raids.....
              Yes I know all about that....it's well documented.

Comment

• Interesting article , though not very accurate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...otographs.html

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                  Interesting article , though not very accurate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...otographs.html
                  V good.....

Comment

• [QUOTE=DAMNTHEWEATHER;451517][QUOTE=quinner;451515]
                    Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                    In that case it might have been what was truth, I can't say either way... But I'm allowed to opine that there were a lot of exaggerated stories told.....Like every other Joe Soap fought with Pearse from the GPO......and they grew and grew and grew....That does not translate into "your Uncle's a liar"... just a fact of the times....ppl exaggerated the facts.....a lot.

Sad you see the truth and facts as running ppl down.... I never said yer Da or Uncle were liars....did I ?.

I'm impressed... I cant Black Cat dat.

Good for you.

Ermmm..... NO.

Yes I know all about that....it's well documented.
                    No you didn't...it was not called off until some time later....now go and find somebody that lived the history and stop reading Comics...

Comment

• [QUOTE=quinner;452111][QUOTE=DAMNTHEWEATHER;451517]
                      Originally posted by quinner

No you didn't...it was not called off until some time later....now go and find somebody that lived the history and stop reading Comics...
                      I can show ye chapter n verse Now back in yer cocoon....real world me arse.

Comment

• [QUOTE=DAMNTHEWEATHER;452170][QUOTE=quinner;452111]
                        Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                        I can show ye chapter n verse Now back in yer cocoon....real world me arse.
                        The real world....

90 odd years later and still arguments about the Irish language......

Still bombs about since the GFA.....

Now arguments about Border crossings.....all that and no mandate on the Mainland for ''keeping'' the six Counties......

You will wake up one day but not until you stop being Rip Van Winkle....

Comment

• [QUOTE=quinner;452175][QUOTE=DAMNTHEWEATHER;452170]
                          Originally posted by quinner View Post

The real world....

90 odd years later and still arguments about the Irish language......

Still bombs about since the GFA.....

Now arguments about Border crossings.....all that and no mandate on the Mainland for ''keeping'' the six Counties......

You will wake up one day but not until you stop being Rip Van Winkle....
                          off on another tangent oi see.....Heath Robinson world eh.

Comment

off on another tangent oi see.....Heath Robinson world eh.
                            Walter Mitty rides again

Comment

Walter Mitty rides again
                              Whodunnit...?

100 years after Pearse proclaimed an Irish Republic you still don't understand what he actually meant......

You are more of a Piss-Torian than a historian.........

Now wakeup and join the living.....please.

Comment

• Quinner, part of the problem is that most the "history" of the Irish Civil War was written by Right wing historians. That is, those that supported the establishment and the church. The Irish people were left in ignorance during the Civil War due to the massive censorship by the Free State and all Irish papers and most English papers. If you want to get information from that period I suggest that you look at the various USA newspapers of the time. or any foreign language paper like the French and other non Catholic countries.
                                Read John Dorney's book "the CIVIL WAR in Dublin" ... he goes a long way towards giving an understanding of the real thoughts of the Republicans or better still spend a couple of months in the Archives of UCD particularly reading the O'Malley Notebooks ... not an easy task I warn you. Propaganda publications on both sides tended to exaggerate their point of view but the Republicans tended to rely on pamphlets with a very small circulation. These can be viewed in The Capacun (spelling ?) Archives in Church Street by appointment. Well worth the hours though.
                                Only now, nearly 100 years later will we see more and more of the lies of the time exposed and get an understanding of the feelings of those who were anti treaty .... not that they were all saints mind you but the atrocities committed by both sides were (by my count) 5.6 : 1 Irish Free State Government over the anti treaty side. That is government sponsored atrocities .... you have of course got to define what is an atrocity !
                                Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X