Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Count Charlie Byrne....with you know who.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
      Oh alright... would you settle for the Squad driver... which puts him firmly within the ranks ?
      Indeed....gun and wheel....a few snippets from the MA.
      Attached Files

Comment

• A Terrible Hullabaloo

A short animated film has been made on the experiences of 14 year old Vinny Byrne during the 1916 Rising. Byrne went on to become one of the most prominent members of Collins's Squad.

More here...

One of Michael Collins's hitmen has become a voice from the grave in a new animated film telling the story of being a 14-year-old boy soldier in the Easter Rising.

And a trailer...

Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Irish Central's take on the original leadership of The Squad from a few days ago.

'Michael Collins' secret -- who was in charge of the "Twelve Apostles" hit squad?'

Did the two leaders -- the Notorious Paddy O’Daly and the Mysterious Mick McDonnell -- hate each other? Or were they coyly played by Collins?

I'll lay odds that this thread was scrutinised before publication... did we get a reference ? Did we f*ck...

Comment

Irish Central's take on the original leadership of The Squad from a few days ago.

'Michael Collins' secret -- who was in charge of the "Twelve Apostles" hit squad?'

Did the two leaders -- the Notorious Paddy O’Daly and the Mysterious Mick McDonnell -- hate each other? Or were they coyly played by Collins?

I'll lay odds that this thread was scrutinised before publication... did we get a reference ? Did we f*ck...
            Well yeah, most likely got the whole idea from here.....

I reckon McAvoy is a bit of a wassock with this story....trying to make something out of nothing.....

There's no doubt whatever in my mind that McDonnell was the first, and original leader of the Squad.

Comment

Irish Central's take on the original leadership of The Squad from a few days ago.

I got the same impression about 2 yts ago, about another program and a thread on here.
              I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
              Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Three shots of THE Joe McGrath..... two during his time as head of the Hospital Sweepstake where he made himself and others millionaires....and one later when he became a stud owner and horse trainer....

There were no flies on our Joe.

In the Irish Civil War of 1922–1923, he took the pro-treaty side and was made Director of Intelligence, replacing Liam Tobin.

In a strongly worded letter, written in red ink, McGrath warned Collins not to take his last, ill-fated trip to Cork.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Half decent shot of the one and only Liam Tobin....when he was employed on the Sweepstake by Joe McGrath.

Major General Liam Tobin (born William Joseph Tobin; 1895 - 30 April 1963) was an officer in the Irish Army and the instigator of an Army Mutiny in March 1924. During the Irish War of Independence, he served as an IRA intelligence officer for Michael Collins’ Squad.

Early in 1919, Tobin had become Collins' chief executive in the Intelligence Directorate handling the many spies in Dublin Castle, including double agent David Neligan. Nancy O'Brien worked for Under-Secretary for Ireland James Macmahon, decoding messages sent from London.

Each day between 2:30 and 3:30 she would pass any information acquired to either Tobin, Joe McGrath, or Desmond Fitzgerald. Tobin was involved in planning the assassinations of British soldiers, informants, members of the Royal Irish Constabulary, the Dublin Metropolitan Police, and operatives of MI5.

He constructed detailed profiles of everyone remotely connected to the British government, often using Who's Who, The Morning Post, and The Times - a newspaper that described him as "one of the most formidable of the Twelve Apostles".
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dublin Guard View Post
                    I stand fully corrected on Johnny Dunne, I just seen Stapleton listed him in this article, your 100 per cent right he was a member !

This article mentions Stapleton & Wilson in 1944 , Stapleton took Wilson out of the new home of the ASU/Squad /Intellegence office called the Sweep Stakes ! & took him down the Edenderry !

http://www.heartland.ie/articles/dro...christmas-1944
                    Interesting wiki here not seen before........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_S...93_Oriel_House

Comment

• Now....nice one of Crow Street there in the 20's COSMO.....and of course it was to become famous after the Tan War when it became known as the Intelligence HQ for Michael Collins most trusted Intel Team.....with Liam Tobin leading and the inimitable Tom Cullen as deputy.....with No 3 Frank Thornton and his pal Frank Saurin.....these were the men who would put paid to 800 odd years of British Rule in Ireland.....a team led by the man who won the war... The Great Cork Man Michael Collins himself......and not forgetting Joe O'Reilly his most trusted and loyal right hand man.

He set his lads up in business in Crow Street above J.F. Fowler's Print Shop at No 3 Crow St......right under the noses of Dublin Castles G Men, just up Dame Street lol.

As Arthur Griffith said in full flow to deValera, Brugha and all the other Collins detractors in the Dail of the time:

He is the man - and no one knows it better than I do - whose matchless energy and indomitable will, carried Ireland through the years of the terror.If I had any ambition as a politician, if I would have immortal fame, if I longed to have my name go down in history, I should choose to have my name associated with the name of Michael Collins. Michael Collins beat the Black and Tan terror until England was forced to offer terms of peace.
                      How amazing is it that all the real heroes and bravehearts died young while deValera....the greatest foreign sleeveen to ever set foot on Irish soil....lived to enjoy a long and full life of luxury off the backs of hard working Irish working class and all taxpayers......he was a pure genious to have pulled that one off, for sure.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Landsdown Rd / Beresford Pl

Any one with info on the Squad being involved in incidents in those 2 places. Was studying Sean Hogan's pension application file and he mentions these 2 places, along with Ashtown and Ballyfermot bridge. Landsdown Rd could be connected to the assassination of Alan Bell, but that's only a guess on my part. Any info greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Something that I meant to include in the above-- anyone have a reference for Vinnie Byrne's rather less than charitable remarks on Dinny Lacey. ''Humourless, without cheer'' was part of it if I recall correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnconnors View Post
                            Any one with info on the Squad being involved in incidents in those 2 places. Was studying Sean Hogan's pension application file and he mentions these 2 places, along with Ashtown and Ballyfermot bridge. Landsdown Rd could be connected to the assassination of Alan Bell, but that's only a guess on my part. Any info greatly appreciated.
                            Bell was shot 26 March 1920 at corner of Simmonscourt Road with Merrion Road....not Lansdown Rd.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnconnors View Post
                              What sort of incidents do you have in mind ? Operations ? or Assassinations ? Can you shed more light on what it is you're after ?.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                                Bell was shot 26 March 1920 at corner of Simmonscourt Road with Merrion Road....not Lansdown Rd.
                                Not a million miles from Landsdowne Road but a quick check on Joe Dolan's witness statement on the Bell shooting lists those involved as Dolan himself, Vinny Byrne, Joe Guilfoyle, Tom Keogh, Mick McDonnell and Liam Tobin. No mention of Sean Hogan...

Comment

Working...
                                X