No announcement yet.

What did our ancestors do in the wars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did our ancestors do in the wars?

There is some fantastic stuff coming out here about our ancestors military careers and I'm sure there is still a massive amount to emerge. I thought it would be nice to keep it altogether in one thread.

If you have any old photographs,documents,service records and stories you wish to tell us about,you could post them here.
    Last edited by jembo; 24-06-2017, 10:21 PM.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

August 1881) and read: War Office, August 24, 1881. THE Queen having been graciously pleased, by Warrant under Her Royal Sign Manual, bearing date the 6th of August, 1881, to direct that the decoration of the Victoria Cross shall be conferred on Members of the Indian Ecclesiastical Establishments who may be qualified to

Comment

Fab thread Jembo, thank you

Comment

Forgotten Voices of Empire: A Soldier Poet

Private Alfred Roberts, of the Royal Irish Lancers, sends home some lines which a soldier comrade had written. They are remarkable both in sentiment and as possessing real poetic fire.

Private Alfred Roberts, of the Royal Irish Lancers, sends home some lines which a soldier comrade had written. They are remarkable both in sentiment and as possessing real poetic fire. IF I SHOULD …
        Attached Files

Comment

Only found this info in past year. Have a mixed up maternal background and this Samuel Dickson Adams would have been an uncle to the mother. He was killed Battle of the Somme September 1916 and mother was born two later in November 1916.

The same WW1 messed up lives in many ways such as strong possibility the mother's had an affair while her husband was away in the war. The affair resulted in mother and her twin brother and still trying to pin down the actual father
          Attached Files

Comment

The forgotten Irish soldiers who fought for Britain in the first world war.
            Ireland was on the cusp of the Easter Rising when thousands of Irish men joined up to serve with the British army in the first world war. They returned to an utterly changed country; they were officially forgotten. This is one man's story.
            Elaine Byrne: Ireland was on the cusp of the Easter Rising when thousands of Irish men joined up to serve with the British army in the first world war. They returned to an utterly changed country; they were officially forgotten. This is one man's story
            Attached Files

Comment

The Project Gutenberg eBook, The Second Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers in the South African War, by Cecil Francis Romer and Arthur Edward Mainwaring.

Group of Twenty Sergeants taken after the Battle of Colenso.
              All that remained of forty-eight who left Maritzburg.

The names reading from left to right in rows are:—(back row) Sergt. Hanna; Band-Sergt. Cragg; Sergt. Davis; Lance-Sergt. Cullen; Sergt. Rooney; Arm.-Sergt. Waite; Col.-Sergt. Cossey; Sergt. Smith; Sergt. Sheridan. (2nd row) Sergt. Keenan; Sergt. French; Col.-Sergt. Ambrose; Capt. Fetherstonhaugh; Col. Cooper; Col.-Sergt. Guilfoyle: Sergt. McNay; Sergt. Hobson; Pioneer-Sergt. Duncan. (3rd row) Sergt. Moriarty; Sergt. Purcell; Col.-Sergt. Connell; Sergt. Beatty.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jembo; 26-06-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                The forgotten Irish soldiers who fought for Britain in the first world war.
                Ireland was on the cusp of the Easter Rising when thousands of Irish men joined up to serve with the British army in the first world war. They returned to an utterly changed country; they were officially forgotten. This is one man's story.
                https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ht-for-britain

Jembo that is very touching, especially the poem. Thank you for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                  Jembo that is very touching, especially the poem. Thank you for sharing
                  Thank you kindly Vico

Comment

What did our ancestors do in the wars?

On my mother's side from Meath...

My Uncle Matt from Athboy who was a stretcher bearer on the Western Front in WW1.

On my father's side from Cavan / Fermanagh border...

My Uncle James who was a captain and served in WW1 and beyond in Palestine.

I believe I may also have a relative who was KIA in Italy in 1945 in WW2 behind enemy lines.

My father and his sister (both still alive) were involved in war work in Britain during the blitz, but as civilians. Not sure if that counts...

That's the 20th century - haven't researched earlier.

Everything is self-evident.

Comment

They certainly had their complement of sergeants.....Five per rifle Company, one of them being the colour sergeant.(call sign Molar)...he brings the grub..

Four rifle companies, one support Company, one headquarters Company.....Band and pipers......could have been two sergeant pipers and four or five band sergeants.....
                      Two, three, maybe even four headquarters Company sergeants.....
                      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

IRELAND’S SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 1899–1902
                        Luke Diver, PhD Candidate
                        History Department, National University of Ireland, Maynooth

It has been estimated that around fifty thousand Irishmen fought during
                        the South African War, many of whom were at the forefront of a number of key engagements, serving in Ireland’s thirteen infantry battalions and three cavalry regiments. Ireland’s Imperial connections were further reinforced by the country’s impressive civilian contribution to the war effort. At least thirty-three militia battalions were mobilised during the course of the war, with seven units being despatched to the front, thirteen companies attested for the Imperial Yeomanry,many civilian Irish nurses and doctors enrolled into the army medical services, andtens of thousands of pounds were raised through various Irish war charities.Notwithstanding the immense Irish military contribution and contemporary civilian interest in the war, very little modern research or public knowledge exists on the subject. The dearth in research is perhaps due to Irish Nationalist historiography and sensitivity during the twentieth century, which has arguably distorted our perspective of Ireland’s shared history with the British Empire. Therefore, it is the purpose of this article to present an alternative Ireland, which has largely been ignored, by discussing Ireland’s military contribution and experience during the course of the war. In addition, the article attempts to recall the Irish public’s active demonstration of Imperial support and highlights the relationship that existed between Ireland and the British Empire during the conflict.
                        read more

Comment

Working...
                        X