Dublinforum.net - Forum  

Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Topic Boards > Book Club

Old 28-11-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMorag View Post
started "The Secret Scripture".........so far so good.......
It's good and I enjoyed it......but I had heard so much about it before I read it that I was disappointed with it when I read it
Old 28-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Barnet Bugle - Eire correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinny View Post
It's good and I enjoyed it......but I had heard so much about it before I read it that I was disappointed with it when I read it
it's often the case if a book's been hyped up......
might take me a bit longer to read this one; it's more of a "literary" sort of novel than the page-turning easy reads I usually get......ie harder work........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 29-11-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
it's often the case if a book's been hyped up......
might take me a bit longer to read this one; it's more of a "literary" sort of novel than the page-turning easy reads I usually get......ie harder work........
I think I've read all his books and they have been good....but I find they are lacking something to make them great.......Although the one your reading has won many Best Books awards
Old 03-12-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I think I've read all his books and they have been good....but I find they are lacking something to make them great.......Although the one your reading has won many Best Books awards
Finished The Secret Scripture. A very well-written story, bit slow at times. The
"twist" wasn't really a twist at all, as it was pretty obvious from early on, and the ending has been criticised as being too pat and contrived, but I liked it and would have felt cheated if it had ended any other way. The character of Roseanne did annoy me sometimes as she seemed so passive and almost fatalistic......yes, she was a victim of the cruelty of others and of the system, but she made no attempt to stand her ground or change her circumstances. She clearly wasn't stupid but often came across as though she was. Anyway apart from wanting to shake Roseanne at times I did enjoy it.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Finished The Secret Scripture. A very well-written story, bit slow at times. The
"twist" wasn't really a twist at all, as it was pretty obvious from early on, and the ending has been criticised as being too pat and contrived, but I liked it and would have felt cheated if it had ended any other way. The character of Roseanne did annoy me sometimes as she seemed so passive and almost fatalistic......yes, she was a victim of the cruelty of others and of the system, but she made no attempt to stand her ground or change her circumstances. She clearly wasn't stupid but often came across as though she was. Anyway apart from wanting to shake Roseanne at times I did enjoy it.

Thought the ending was a bit stroppy at the time of reading it, that must be about 8 years ago.......The story didn't linger in my mind so it didn't leave a lasting impression on me......remember being a bit disappointed with the book at the time
Glad you enjoyed it
Old 03-12-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thought the ending was a bit stroppy at the time of reading it, that must be about 8 years ago.......The story didn't linger in my mind so it didn't leave a lasting impression on me......remember being a bit disappointed with the book at the time
Glad you enjoyed it
I did, and I didn't mind the ending at all. Having said that, I've no real compulsion to read his other books, so I can't have liked it that much!
Old 03-12-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I did, and I didn't mind the ending at all. Having said that, I've no real compulsion to read his other books, so I can't have liked it that much!
They are not bad.....but I prefer Colm Toibin .........Barry has written some good plays also