2017 Deaths (so far)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.I.P. Barbara Hale
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

R.I.P. John Hurt....very sad..

Comment

R.I.P. Barbara Hale..

Comment

R.I.P. Geoff Nicholls .....Keyboard player with Black Sabbath

Comment

Tara Palmer Tomkinson has been found dead in her London flat, aged 45. Died of Brain Tumour.....R.I.P.

Comment

R.I.P. Al Jarreau. Died aged 76....what a singer

Comment

Comment

R.I.P. Tommy Gemmell Died yesterday...Played For Glasgow Celtic was one of the famous Lisbon Lions, First British Team to win the European Cup....

Comment

Character Actor John Forgeham has died at the age of 75 R.I.P.

Comment

Sunday 12 March 2017
                      'Numbness fell upon our family' - Sister Sledge star Joni dies aged 60

PANews_P-03bd1bcd-052f-4191-9590-5918ab4f7944_I1.jpeg

Sister Sledge - Kim Sledge, Debbie Sledge and Joni Sledge, who has died aged 60

Joni Sledge, who with her sisters recorded the defining dance anthem We Are Family, has died aged 60, the band's representative said.

Sledge was found dead in her home by a friend in Phoenix, Arizona, on Friday, the band's publicist Biff Warren said. A cause of death has not been determined.

"On yesterday, numbness fell upon our family. We welcome your prayers as we weep the loss of our sister, mother, aunt, niece and cousin," the family said.

Sledge and her sisters Debbie, Kim and Kathy formed Sister Sledge in 1971, but had their breakout success in 1979 with We Are Family. The dance song became an anthem of unity and women's empowerment.

Sledge is survived by a son besides her sisters and other relatives.

"The four of us had been in the music business for eight years and we were frustrated. We were saying: 'Well, maybe we should go to college and just become lawyers or something other than music, because it really is tough,'" Sledge told The Guardian in an interview last year.

But then they met Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers of the hit group Chic, and their breakout soon came.

The pair wrote and produced their album We Are Family, and soon the women had their first major hit with disco jam The Greatest Dancer, which became a top 10 hit in May 1979.

Their biggest hit would come a month later with the title track, an infectious dance anthem that celebrated their familial connection with the refrain: "We are family, I got all my sisters with me."

While it celebrated their sisterhood, the 1979 hit so also became an anthem for female empowerment and unity. It would become their signature hit, and was nominated for a Grammy. Both the song and album sold more than a million copies.

The women also had a hit with a cover of the Mary Wells song My Guy in 1982, but would never duplicate the success they had in the 1970s.

Still, Sister Sledge continued; while sister Kathy left the group for a solo career, the trio of sisters continued to perform and record, including a performance for Pope Francis in 2015.

Mr Warren said they last performed together in concert in October.

Comment

"Bishop" Eamonn Casey Died.......the Parasite won't be missed

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                          "Bishop" Eamonn Casey Died.......the Parasite won't be missed
                          What about his poor kids

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
                            What about his poor kids
                            They still have the Gorta money

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                              They still have the Gorta money
                              Only his black kids get that

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
                                Only his black kids get that
                                Plenty of them

Comment

Working...
                                X