Eamon De Valera aka George (Edward) de Valero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    Perhaps after being turned down for the priesthood he was after a mission....like a lot of Irish rebels I think he was heavily into the Gaelic Revival.....Perhaps he was dissatisfied with life and thought Irish Freedom was his new calling. My ex-husband used to say he thought priests often went in for the priesthood because of the theatrical side of it.... they were guaranteed an audience; maybe he was right.
    I believe you're right as is your ex. Throughout his life he certainly displayed a conceited streak, and his leadership of his 'very own' brand new party demonstrated his total me me attitude and woe betide any who might disagree....what he said went, and when he decided it would never be changed. He was initially attracted to the Gaelic Revival and only later joined the Volunteers when that organisation was started by Eoin MacNeill. Though food for thought is the fact that the woman he married Sinead Flanagan was his Irish language teacher whose family had a history of rebellion further back than 1798....I suspect it was Sinead who had something to do with Georges interest in 'saving' Ireland
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

He seems quite an interesting character, but going by this forum more despised than revered......what was the public feeling towards him during the time he was in power, and who would have been the alternative party-wise?

Comment

Moderator note... Final Warning.

The next personal attack in this thread, no matter from who, will either be deleted or moved to the Sinbin.

This interesting thread will not be hijacked just for the sake of making some kind of personal point.

Your decision!
        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
          Moderator note... Final Warning.

The next personal attack in this thread, no matter from who, will either be deleted or moved to the Sinbin.

This interesting thread will not be hijacked just for the sake of making some kind of personal point.

Your decision!
          Thanks rashers, and might i suggest in addition to being moved to the sin bin the personal attacker receives a well justified ban.

Regarding a merge of dev threads.....is it something the moderators are taking under considerations?

Comment

Originally posted by andy2013 View Post
            Comment on the post and not the poster, above post seems very personalised, back to my original comment that might dispel such personal attacks on members rather than posts, if all dev posts were to be combined.
            Oh Andy....sure I know the poster well....and if you break down my reply, ie; I welcomed him.....I said he livened the place up....and requested he retort with some useful counter opinions or facts rather than go on attacking people just like he attacked Quinner and me....mean to say surly you don't agree with his derailing personal attacks do you ?. He accuses me of being a Dev hater.....I am simply stating facts....and if there is any proof of those facts being incorrect, I'd like to see some.

Comment

Thanks rashers, and might i suggest in addition to being moved to the sin bin the personal attacker receives a well justified ban.

Regarding a merge of dev threads.....is it something the moderators are taking under considerations?
              Its unlikely that anyone would be banned, but an infraction is a possibility.

Though if anyone were to go too far a ban may be considered by the moderators.

But I think and hope it won't be necessary.

When all of the moderators are online we will decide about merging threads.

Thank you for your interest.
              'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Andy....can we not just stick with the subject of Dev and leave personal grudges out of it? It's a bit childish.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                  Its unlikely that anyone would be banned, but an infraction is a possibility.

Though if anyone were to go too far a ban may be considered by the moderators.

But I think and hope it won't be necessary.

When all of the moderators are online we will decide about merging threads.

Thank you for your interest.
                  Thanks rashers but the first suggestion of a ban was post 38, i was only echoing them sentiments,

Look forward to moderators decision re merging threads,

Comment

Andy....can we not just stick with the subject of Dev and leave personal grudges out of it? It's a bit childish.
                    My posts have related to Dev, what personal grudges do you mean? I havent attacked anybody personally, read back on my posts.

Comment

My posts have related to Dev, what personal grudges do you mean? I havent attacked anybody personally, read back on my posts.
                      Sorry, I thought you were attacking DTW's Michael Collins thread. Obviously I was wrong.

Comment

Sorry, I thought you were attacking DTW's Michael Collins thread. Obviously I was wrong.
                        Quite clearly as Boxman started that MC thread.

Comment

He seems quite an interesting character, but going by this forum more despised than revered......what was the public feeling towards him during the time he was in power, and who would have been the alternative party-wise?
                          Well, if the facts of this very important and interesting individual, a man who had the greatest hand in shaping the fledgling country come across as him being 'despised' then that is of his own making...I have heard a lot of rhetoric here about posters of those facts but nothing substantial to counteract what I have to say.....but maybe that's because what I say is well documented truth.

The opposing party was the Cosgrave Government who had taken the ashes of the Civil War - which Mr De Valero has a big hand in - and did a brilliant job of bringing stability to the broken country.

Cosgrave had established a Local Appointments Commission to oversee the recruitment of the right people to the senior civil service posts and local authorities....he set up a system to get rid of jobs for the boys and corruption which had become the norm.

As soon as Dev took control he abolished that Commission and sacked every single person who was not a supporter of his and gave the jobs to his Fianna Fail friends. You could say it was the era of the Dev-il's Cult, when nepotism and cronyism became the norm. Nothing much changed since, what with Haughy and Bertie and of course his party presided over the country while the bankers ripped the working man off big time....not surprising not one of them went to jail.....Voted in again and again indeed he was....but the true colours have finally shone through and the Irish people have finally seen the light.
                          Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 19-10-2013, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Quite clearly as Boxman started that MC thread.
                            Oh yes, so he did.....well why don't you start The Dev Thread, forget all the past Dev threads, and just see how it goes? No need for merging.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                              Well, if the facts of this very important and interesting individual, a man who had the greatest hand in shaping the fledgling country come across as him being 'despised' then that is of his own making...I have heard a lot of rhetoric here about posters of those facts but nothing substantial to counteract what I have to say.....but maybe that's because what I say is well documented truth.

The opposing party was the Cosgrave Government who had taken the ashes of the Civil War - which Mr De Valero has a big hand in - and did a brilliant job of bringing stability to the broken country.

Cosgrave had established a Local Appointments Commission to oversee the recruitment of the right people to the senior civil service posts and local authorities....he set up a system to get rid of jobs for the boys and corruption which had become the norm.

As soon as Dev took control he abolished that Commission and sacked every single person who was not a supporter of his and gave the jobs to his Fianna Fail friends. You could say it was the era of the Dev-il's Cult, when nepotism and cronyism became the norm. Nothing much changed since, what with Haughy and Bertie and of course his party presided over the country while the bankers ripped the working man off big time....not surprising not one of them went to jail.....Voted in again and again indeed he was....but the true colours have finally shone through and the Irish people have finally seen the light.

The Cult of de Valera had arrived and nepotism and cronyism became the order of the day and the policy of his party which retains it to the present day. One of his first victims was General Eoin O’Duffy, the Commissioner of Police, who had performed a near miracle in establishing order with an unarmed police force in a country awash with guns and men only too willing to use them.
                              But if Cosgrave was so good.....how did Dev get in?

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post

The Cult of de Valera had arrived and nepotism and cronyism became the order of the day and the policy of his party which retains it to the present day. One of his first victims was General Eoin O’Duffy, the Commissioner of Police, who had performed a near miracle in establishing order with an unarmed police force in a country awash with guns and men only too willing to use them.
                                Unfortunately crontyism is still occurring in our Govt today.
                                UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X