No announcement yet.

change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compulsory voting would just increase the number of spoiled votes here IMHO, I would rather see better voter education but doubt the politicians promising heaven and earth will support that.

Sure you might live in a conservative area but your not going to change it sitting on your ass complaining its not worth your time to vote. Plenty of people around the world that don't have a chance to vote in a fair election would love to be in your boots.

8 years is way too long for a government to be effective, 5 is about right, first year is spent blaming the old government, then 3 years of government and a year of electioneering in prep for the GE. Just look at the 4 year concept in the states, nearly a permanent election campaign. 8 years just breeds stagnation unless you have an exceptional well managed government and Ireland never had one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      That's not the subject of this thread - I mentioned the Fianna Fail government as a recent example to question your assertion that 'the good outweighs the bad' in the context of longer terms of office - something you haven't explained yet...

Also, your OP 'should we have general elections......less often..or more often..?????' did not indicate you were discussing UK politics - the 'we' on the forum are located in different countries and different continents, so it would have been reasonable to assume we are discussing universal themes - or issues relating to democracy in general...

lol........
      Last edited by cogito; 08-09-2012, 12:46 PM. Reason: fixed yer quote bracket
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
        thanks for giving me the honour of being the only one that does not vote.....lol

when they have a candidate,, that i agree with their plans....i will vote for them...

as i lived in a very safe conservative seat area......i chose not to vote....

which is my right to do so....
        In that case, you were relying on the fact that you lived in a safe seat - what if everyone else in that consituency had exercised their right not to
        vote for that reason? Maybe it remained a safe seat because other people
        had the same attitude - ie it's not worth voting for or against the conservatives because they'll get in anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
          Based on what ?? The last government we had here did catastrophic damage to the country - especially in their last two years in office...

They knew they were despised by the people - yet they hung on until the end of their term - and suffered the biggest election wipe out in the history of the state, rightfully so. With your 'eight year' term - they'd still be in office.
          cogito; There should be a rule ,wherby,if enough people demand it, the sitting government could be recalled,and new elections would take place.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
            cogito; There should be a rule ,wherby,if enough people demand it, the sitting government could be recalled,and new elections would take place.
            There's a thing here called a Motion of No Confidence in the government, which if passed then goes to the head of state who can dissolve the parliament before the five years is up....not entirely sure how it works.....

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
              So you let the rest of us take the responsibility of electing the government
              for you, then you can't be blamed if we get it wrong....I suppose there's
              a weird sort of logic in that.
              Well said Katie

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                In that case, you were relying on the fact that you lived in a safe seat - what if everyone else in that consituency had exercised their right not to
                vote for that reason? Maybe it remained a safe seat because other people
                had the same attitude - ie it's not worth voting for or against the conservatives because they'll get in anyway?

i wasn't relying on anything......i don't rely......

i have no desire to vote....conservative, labour, lib dem, or any other party that have taken part in elections.....to date...

my political belief's are not represented by any parties at present......

but as i lived in a safe conservative seat.......voting was irrelevant.......

there is never a 100% turnout at elections.......so don't single me out for affecting any results in the last forty years.....

i judge governments on their results......not their political leanings.....

what the rest of my family do regards voting......i haven't got a clue....

we do not discuss politics.......and i would never dream of asking them which way they vote...or if they they vote....and that applies to kath...

it is the same with religion.......i haven't got a clue what religion they are..if any..

i know kath goes to church now and again....i think it is a methodist church, but i would never ask her..

politics and religion.....is their own business.....

Comment

Jeez Joe do ya know Kath's last name, you're not very mosey are ya? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                    Jeez Joe do ya know Kath's last name, you're not very mosey are ya? Lol

of course i do.....it is written on her letters...lol

masire, i left a company after working for them for twenty years.....

the night that i finished with them, i was up the pub talking to my mate about it..
                    my ex missus overheard the conversation.......that was the first she had heard about it....lol..

Comment

Will call you "secret squirrel" so lol

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                        Will call you "secret squirrel" so lol

i like that...lol...

i was in hospital for eleven days.....a very serious operation....

and even though i had a free phone next to my bed....i never told my family........lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                          i think they have that in the states in some states?

here in canada(ont) we have our 4 yr like the states and i think that is o.k...........Now if we could just get by this first past the post crap,go to p.r. then we would be away ,and have no more moaning about 38% of the pop vote forming the government.
                          Maybe they could catch on to this rubbish in britain and in the states as most educated countries in the world use it.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                            should we have general elections......less often..or more often..?????
                            I have them on average 3 times a week, I find mornings are best...
                            Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by sheelbee View Post
                              I have them on average 3 times a week, I find mornings are best...
                              that could result in a hung parliament........

Comment

i think that the country should only have 12 elected members of parliament.....and be only elected by people over 30....

each county should only have an elected mayor/president......and be only elected by householders.....

Comment

Working...
                                X