No announcement yet.

Dun Laoghaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff Fitzy and Maisie. Anytime I go down the end of that pier the building is closed. There are a lot of liners due to arrive in the port over the summer months here is a list of date and times and names very handy if you want to get a photo. http://www.dublinport.ie/information...cruise-liners/

Comment

great photos fitzy.

Comment

Parking in Dunlaoighre on Sundays

Just a word of warning to anyone who might think of going to Dunlaoighre at weekends if the weather keeps up. I was out there today and was lucky enough to get a spot in a carpark along the prom at 11 o'clock. Later on the place was busting and when I went to get in my car I couldn't believe my eyes seeing two blokes taking photos and ticketing cars parked up on the path in front of the prom. Fair enough they where parked illegally but thought it being a Sunday they would get away with it. So a little surprise was waiting on the windscreen when they got back. So be sure to park in a proper parking spot and check the signs. Some are pay parking Mon-Sat and some are Mon-Fri. More or less the same happened at Bullock Harbour with the police taking numbers of cars with two wheels on the path. An expensive lesson learned for some.

Comment

Yeah I found that last year when I was there ,no parking anywhere lol! Same in Blackrock ! I spent more in off street parking than I did in petrol!!

Comment

Originally posted by spudseamus View Post
            Yeah I found that last year when I was there ,no parking anywhere lol! Same in Blackrock ! I spent more in off street parking than I did in petrol!!
            It can be quite expensive Spud but it is probably cheaper than a clamp release or a fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
              Just a word of warning to anyone who might think of going to Dunlaoighre at weekends if the weather keeps up. I was out there today and was lucky enough to get a spot in a carpark along the prom at 11 o'clock. Later on the place was busting and when I went to get in my car I couldn't believe my eyes seeing two blokes taking photos and ticketing cars parked up on the path in front of the prom. Fair enough they where parked illegally but thought it being a Sunday they would get away with it. So a little surprise was waiting on the windscreen when they got back. So be sure to park in a proper parking spot and check the signs. Some are pay parking Mon-Sat and some are Mon-Fri. More or less the same happened at Bullock Harbour with the police taking numbers of cars with two wheels on the path. An expensive lesson learned for some.
              I thought the guards saida few weeks ago they would'nt issue parking tickets or tax checks till the pay deal was sorted out ? ,

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
                I thought the guards saida few weeks ago they would'nt issue parking tickets or tax checks till the pay deal was sorted out ? ,
                The lads in Bullock who hire the boats said the guards do cars there all the time and that they tell their customers to make sure not to park there.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
                  thanks rashers , but credit where its due May took all the pics on her Samsung Camera , its just as good if not better then my camaras at times , I told her that the queen mary 2 was there and I'd love a pic of it so she got 2 trains from clonsilla out Dun Laoghaire to get pics for me , so the credit for all the pics goes to maisy , by the way she would love to go on a cruise so she really wanted to see the ship
                  Excellent record of the day May, nice pix....and the monument (obelisk not) caught my eye, had seen it but never registered it's purpose, your pic prompted me to look further;

The death of Dunleary was started in the 1820s when the building of the harbour created a completely new town to the east, on the site of the present town. The first few buildings of the new town were constructed from the 1820s, although building of the harbour was started in 1815.

The harbour was only built to facilitate the trade in Dublin Port. At that time, the approaches to the Liffey were extremely dangerous. Many ships were grounded as there was only a narrow path through the sandbanks to the river mouth. It needed skilled captains to negotiate the dangers. Because of this, there was a huge waiting time. Ships were anchored out there for days before being allowed in. And, if that wasn’t enough for them, they had to brave fierce storms and gales that threatened to drive them onto the rocks.
                  So, it was decided that a place for the boats to stay was needed.

Dunleary seemed a suitable place and the foundation stone was laid in 1817 by the Lord Lieutenant. King George IV visited Dunleary in 1821 causing the name ‘Kingstown’ to be formally adopted for the town. The visit of the King was recorded on the monument (obelisk), which is now positioned in front of the Royal St. George Yacht Club.

The present name, Dun Laoghaire, was adopted again in 1920. This name was the Irish version of Dunleary meaning the fort of Laoghaire. In 1930, two small stones containing early decorations were dug up near the Coal Harbour, suggesting that the original fort was built there. This fort can’t be seen now, though, since a Martello Tower was built on top of it and then the construction of the railway destroyed them both. However, the National Museum said that the stones were of recent origin and that they were put there to prove that there was a dún in Dun Laoghaire. No one knows the truth. http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/harbour.html
                  Attached Files
                  We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
                  X