No announcement yet.

Repealing the Eighth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose what I'm trying to say, Joan, is that not everyone believes in the idea of the soul entering the body at the moment of conception, or even that a soul exists at all, and if a woman doesn't believe that why should she have to go through with a pregnancy to satisfy the religious beliefs of other people?

Comment

• 'The unborn will have 'no constitutional rights' if Eighth Amendment repealed, court told'

The State has adopted the “extreme” and “absolutist” position of insisting the unborn is a “constitutional nullity” outside the Eighth Amendment with the effect - if the amendment is repealed - the unborn will have “no constitutional rights at all”, the Supreme Court has been told.

Comment

• It would appear the government are looking to nullify the rights of the unborn child, whether it's at 12 week fetus stage or full term baby just about to be born....the unborn child will have no rights. This is what I was afraid would happen. Hopefully the Supreme Court judges will tell the State ...NO.

Comment

• This is very confusing, if the Amendment is repealed, would a new Amendment then be written into the Constitution based on the new legislation, or not? I don't know how it works........

Comment

• They are writing the new legislation at the moment and it should be ready by the 6th March. My understanding is that the new legislation will allow abortion on demand up until 12 weeks...that's what they told us anyway....

They first have to take away the protection of the unborn child to allow abortion on demand. They are in the Supreme Court at the moment trying to take away that protection. If that protection is taken away....it's taken away for every unborn child...12 weeks...25 weeks ....38 weeks...

Comment

• She doesn't Katie but the people voting might right now there is a scandal about the way the the people organising The repeal plans went about their business, Seemingly they did not do the correct thing it may hold up proceedings

Lots of lapsed Catholics Protestants even Christians but we still hold life dear Our single Taoiseach hasn't a clue about abortion he is desperately trying to please the younger voters, Most people think it will go through but most people I know are all saying they don't want it A vote in my Ladies Club last week a secret ballot came out to keep the eighth, Of course we are getting on
              in years

Comment

• Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                They are writing the new legislation at the moment and it should be ready by the 6th March. My understanding is that the new legislation will allow abortion on demand up until 12 weeks...that's what they told us anyway....

They first have to take away the protection of the unborn child to allow abortion on demand. They are in the Supreme Court at the moment trying to take away that protection. If that protection is taken away....it's taken away for every unborn child...12 weeks...25 weeks ....38 weeks...
                so what you're saying is that you're worried that people are being conned into
                voting to get rid of this protection, and then once the Amendment is gone the government are free to do what they like regarding new legislation? ie the 12 weeks thing is just a ruse?

Comment

• I am against abortion because for me personally it is murder of the worst kind. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the very early stages of pregnancy to be able to discuss when the foetus feels pain. However, any life form that has a nervous system can feel pain. In turn any life form who can feel pleasure or pain must be taken into account in any moral debate. If the life form cannot defend itself, then others must be ethical enough to do it for them.

There was no contraception years ago and I know that I was an accident, but I am very glad to be here.

When Pat Kenny had his Saturday night programme years ago, he had a young American woman who had written a book about her life. She was adopted and went in search of her biological mother. They made contact and wrote to each other for awhile before finally meeting up. Pat Kenny asked the woman what were her first words to her natural mother when they met. Her answer was very moving, she gave her mother a hug and said "thank you for not killing me".

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                    so what you're saying is that you're worried that people are being conned into
                    voting to get rid of this protection, and then once the Amendment is gone the government are free to do what they like regarding new legislation? ie the 12 weeks thing is just a ruse?
                    They can't write the new legislation until the protection of the unborn child is gone....The Supreme Court can do that without the people's input. This is a much greater injustice for all unborn children....than the repealing of the Eight Amendment.
                    I suppose it is a ruse in a way....if the protection of the unborn is gone... then the Eight Amendment doesn't really exist...

Comment

• Lets hope they don't but I think there would be general outcry especially from the grey army who are getting to have more and more members

Simon Harris young Shitehawk TD says he will support abortion on demand fecker

Comment

• Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                        They can't write the new legislation until the protection of the unborn child is gone....The Supreme Court can do that without the people's input. This is a much greater injustice for all unborn children....than the repealing of the Eight Amendment.
                        I suppose it is a ruse in a way....if the protection of the unborn is gone... then the Eight Amendment doesn't really exist...
                        Sorry BF... I'm having difficulty understanding what you're saying.

The eight amendment back in the 1980s was put in to give additional protection to the unborn - it meant no legislation could be brought in by the Dail which permitted abortion - though it was already illegal in Ireland.

Removal of that amendment brings us back to where we we were prior to that referendum... no ?
                        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• We don't even have a written constitution in Britain, but there is still protection for the unborn in that there are legal limits for abortion, why wouldn't the same be true for Ireland? Why does it need to be in the Constitution? (help me out here someone as I'm not sure about the difference between "legislation" and "constitution"..........'

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                            We don't even have a written constitution in Britain, but there is still protection for the unborn in that there are legal limits for abortion, why wouldn't the same be true for Ireland? Why does it need to be in the Constitution? (help me out here someone as I'm not sure about the difference between "legislation" and "constitution"..........'
                            Laws are subject to our written constitution... any law which breached the constitution would be struck out by the supreme court. Bit like the American gun laws...
                            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
                              Laws are subject to our written constitution... any law which breached the constitution would be struck out by the supreme court. Bit like the American gun laws...
                              ah, i see. thanks for explaining.

Comment

• Just reading that in 2016 , 3265 Irish people traveled to England to have abortions.Does that 3265 Irish people committed murder that year.

Comment

Working...
                                X