Clear All

• 21 things you'll remember if you grew up in Finglas

Hi all

Thought you'd like to read this!! *

21 things you’ll remember if you grew up in Finglas

UP THE DUBS!!!

The stew house .

Comment

We moved to Finglas in 1952, from nth great Charles street, my ma did not want go, she was a city girl, and Finglas was out in the boonies to her, what I remember most was that there were only a few roads back then, cappagh road, mellows road and avenue, cappagh drive, Kildonan drive, and avenue. All the shops were in the village in the beginning, so we had to go there for the messages. There were 4 buses a day, and three school buses to take us girls into Gardiner St school, I think the boys had three buses too. There was a little shop up our road, Cappagh rd, run by a mrs Smith, and some people called Phelan on Mellows sold ciggie said and sweets from their house. Frank Farrell sold penny, and h'apenny bags of sweets from his house on cappagh rd , and outside the schools in town. They built a row of shops down the road, about a year after we moved in, there was a butchers, a chipper , a green grocers, a chemist, a grocery, and Kelly's newsagents. All the teenagers hung around the shops at night , when they had closed, there wasn't much to do at that time, it was a lovely peaceful place to live back then, we spent hours in the fields, picking blackberries etc, took long walks to Cabra, always with someone's child we were minding, went to the silver spoon for a paddle. Sometimes I was sent to the dinner house in Ballygall for stew and lovely Rissoles. Great days!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
        We moved to Finglas in 1952, from nth great Charles street, my ma did not want go, she was a city girl, and Finglas was out in the boonies to her, what I remember most was that there were only a few roads back then, cappagh road, mellows road and avenue, cappagh drive, Kildonan drive, and avenue. All the shops were in the village in the beginning, so we had to go there for the messages. There were 4 buses a day, and three school buses to take us girls into Gardiner St school, I think the boys had three buses too. There was a little shop up our road, Cappagh rd, run by a mrs Smith, and some people called Phelan on Mellows sold ciggie said and sweets from their house. Frank Farrell sold penny, and h'apenny bags of sweets from his house on cappagh rd , and outside the schools in town. They built a row of shops down the road, about a year after we moved in, there was a butchers, a chipper , a green grocers, a chemist, a grocery, and Kelly's newsagents. All the teenagers hung around the shops at night , when they had closed, there wasn't much to do at that time, it was a lovely peaceful place to live back then, we spent hours in the fields, picking blackberries etc, took long walks to Cabra, always with someone's child we were minding, went to the silver spoon for a paddle. Sometimes I was sent to the dinner house in Ballygall for stew and lovely Rissoles. Great days!
        Marie , the rissoles were to die for .

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
          Like this ?.
          Attached Files
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

the holy well i remember when i was a child......later the pubs and getting the crap beaten out of me at the church one sunday morning selling shoes...growing up finglas was a great little village.

Im drinking the cider now though......

Comment

Also grew up in Finglas in the 60's, what a great time we had

Comment

Originally posted by irishnpa View Post
                Also grew up in Finglas in the 60's, what a great time we had
                You probably know half the people on this forum so Irishpa
                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Working...
                X