Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston

Hi Martin,
    Yep I knew Joey well and Gerry (Jazzer) was probably the best player-hurling or football-I have ever seen.By coincidence when we moved to Coolock the Mooneys lived on the same road.Gerry played soccer but the "GA" was his forte....lost touch with them when we moved to Artane.....Boston? I play at the Black Rose with my band "Celtic Clan>,,,,,just got home incidentally and if you are ever there PLEASE come and introduce yourself....our website is www.TheCelticClan.com so you can check the schedule......
    Great to hear all the "Canniers stories!
    Frank!

Comment

Hello Frank,
      Its a small world, I was in Mr Doolys last Sunday and listened to the brilliant Patsy Whelan play several instruments, pure talent!. Patsy invited fellow Dubliner Colm O'Brien up to perform which he obliged and sang "Dublin in the rare ould times", Colm sang it with the passion only a Dublin person could.
      I will try and get into the Black Rose some weekend and look forward to saying hello Frank.
      Slainte
      Martin

Comment

OK Martin....where did you live in Dublin?

See you @ The Rose sometime but we don't play there every week...first "jar" is on me!

Where do you live now?

Comment

Frank,
          I am on the Northshore.
          First pint.... Thanks
          Martin
          Ps I sent you a private message, check your inbox or whatever they call it.

Comment

Canniers 1960/1966

Hi Auld Decency,

I think I was in class with you! All them names are very familiar and I went to OCS as well. Had Mr. Haran and Br. ????? for the scholarship. 66 was the year free(/) education was introduced and all those beatings were for nothing.

Didn't cover myself in glory in OCS but I survived and prospered a little.

My abiding memory of that year was the scholarship exam at Easter and the heroic efforts (thankfully in vain) to get us to join the Christian Brother between that and the end of year.

Still Ducking and Diving

TC

Comment

Canniers

Hi D & D....I must have been in your class...Frank Ryan

Comment

Hi Ducking n' Diving.....I'm sure I was in your class and was in "Auld Decency's" class....except for the scholarship as I went to Kinsealy School for 6th class and did the "Group Cert"....a joke....went to OCS but left after the "Inter"....got my act together and worked all over the world...now in Boston USA

Enjoyed Canniers & OCS...not the beatings though!

Comment

St canices

Hi i went to St Canices from Gardiner st junior school which has since become a primary school My time in Canices was from 1959 to 1963 Bro Ahern was the head brother there was a brother coffey, Bro Nee ,Bro Green, Bro Kelly
                  Mr o Shea Mr O Riordan was just looking at a confo picture last week Alan Drumm , David Tracy Val o Keeffe , Sweetman, Fogarty , Cullen there were Mc Mahons two brothers who lived in Wesley place beside the Phoenix laundry and yes Burkes still live in Fitzroy Ave the Hartnets Tom and Michael the have moved do u remember Faheys on the corner on Fitzgibbon street and Moors next door they kept canes in the window along with comics I went on to Great Denmark
                  St Tech great to see the post hope more will add there memories William

Comment

Originally posted by brenno51 View Post
                    Hi
                    Looking for people who went to this school in mid 50 to early sixties

I lived in St Patricks Terrace in Russell Street at that time, we used to play football against the entrance gate at Croke park and also on Russell street at the Rowans seeds gate
                    cheers
                    Brenno
                    Hi Brenno, Michael Durkan,here,Ivwent to Canices in the late 50"s ..Had Bro Coffey..Bro.Nee..O Shea as teachers...my brother Paddy was a year ahead of me..hope you are well..I remember redser..Forrestel..and a lot of lads on the hurling and football teams...Tommy Canavan

Comment

St Canices Junior Football team 1961

Attached is a photo of St. Canices Junior football team when they played against St. Peters in Croke park in 1961. I played. That's me, Brendan Daly at rear RHS. Others are Billy Duffy, Con Maher, Martin Whelan, Sean Houlihan all of whom I can identify. Other names that I have but cannot identify are: A Wickham, Michael Kelligan (Kelliher ?) Sean Murphy, Jim Reilly, Des Raffery. I also think Jazzer Mooney is there. Rear second from Left ? The photo is from an old newspaper so quality is poor.

Does anybody recognise others or positively put faces with the known names ?
                      Michael Durkin .... I was in your class !
                      Thanks
                      Attached Files

Comment

I was in St Canices from about 1954 to 1960. Subsequent went to OCS

Comment

Working...
                        X