X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Canices cbs North circular road

Hi
    Looking for people who went to this school in mid 50 to early sixties

I lived in St Patricks Terrace in Russell Street at that time, we used to play football against the entrance gate at Croke park and also on Russell street at the Rowans seeds gate
    cheers
    Brenno

Hello Brenno,
    I lived in Fitzgibbon Street and went to Canices after you, 64 to 69.
    There is one chap on here called Tolka and he probably was in Canices during your time there. He has some good stories about himself and his brothers who also went to Canices. Ahearn was Head Brother when I went and I remember a Bro Coffey and a Bro Monaghan.
    Martin

Comment

St Canices Cbs

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply, I remember bro Ahern, he used to use a small blackthorn stick, felt that a few times I can tell you.
      Do you remember Mr Noonan, he was a lay teacher and he was pretty good, what about the man who sold toffee apples, his name was Mr Farrell.

Are you still in Fitzgibbon street. I am living in perth Australia and have been here for 27 years but I miss the old town

Comment

Hi Brenno..... goin to throw out a few names here to see if you know any of them......Burkes.. Fitzroy ave....Bolands... Russell ave....Hartnetts ... Fitzroy ave......O'Connor ... Maple st.....I could go on....but I know some of them went to Canices....
        It is what it is.

Comment

St Canices

Hi Pammy , not sure about the names, did you live around that area, was Fitzroy ave down beside croke park. I remember a kid named Marty O'Connor
          he lived down the street where the Phoenix Laundry was, his family came back to Ireland from Tasmania but they went back while we were still living there
          Thank you for your reply, its great to here from someone from around the area
          Cheers
          brenno

Comment

Brenno,
            I don't think Noonan was there in my time but I remember a Mr Murray.
            I am living in the US for thirty years but I still visit Dublin. Cheers

Pam,
            I remember a James Burke, a short chap with big red hair 40 years ago and I remember Hartnett tall and skinny back then.
            Martin

Comment

Hi Brenno....no I'm not from that area but I knew a lot of people there..

Hi Martin....yes I know the guys you speak of.....they are still around....
              It is what it is.

Comment

I was in Canniers 1960-66 (repeated second class because I was too young). I lived in Finglas and used to get the bus with John Harney, who lived on Abbotstown Road. Others in my class from there were Dick Fedigan and Alex O'Reilly, who lived on Abbotstown Ave. I was pally with Alex whose mother was Scottish. Frank, who sold sweets at the school gate, lived on Cappagh Road, but moved into the school I think when he got the caretaker's job. I had Riordan in 2nd class and I got belted around the place by him - I'll never forgive him. I got the scholarship and went on to O'Connell's, along with John Kelleher, Fedigan, Peadar Tuck, Frank Cartwright, John Condren and a few others.
                Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Ah, I remember Frank Farrell well, he did live on Cappagh road, where I used to live, as ad said, my Ma used to work in the sweet factories and sold bags of scrap sweets, rock, fudge etc, they also sold penny and halfpenny bags from their house, nice little family they were!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                    Ah, I remember Frank Farrell well, he did live on Cappagh road, where I used to live, as ad said, my Ma used to work in the sweet factories and sold bags of scrap sweets, rock, fudge etc, they also sold penny and halfpenny bags from their house, nice little family they were!
                    Was that his daughter Dotsy Farrell , she used to sell broken chocolate from a handcart on Cappagh Road ?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                      Was that his daughter Dotsy Farrell , she used to sell broken chocolate from a handcart on Cappagh Road ?
                      Yes Bo, there was Kay, Mary and Dotsy, and a little boy, I think he was called Francis, I don't know about the handcart, They were all under the age of 13 when I knew them. I wonder what became of them all?
                      Last edited by maire; 25-09-2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brenno51 View Post
                        Hi
                        Looking for people who went to this school in mid 50 to early sixties

I lived in St Patricks Terrace in Russell Street at that time, we used to play football against the entrance gate at Croke park and also on Russell street at the Rowans seeds gate
                        cheers
                        Brenno
                        So it was YOU my sister used to put the run to at rowans gate when she worked there lol. We kicked football in the old square at the jones rd entrance when o,keefe lived in the gaa house and got a lift over the stile when the games were on. Canniers?lol .Greatest place in the world.I went there from about 1952 until 1959 as did all my brothers before me as I am the youngest.Br Curtis was in charge and then later Br ahern.I had a br Noonan (not a lay teacher) who let us play soccer in the yrd at lunchtime as he was a dub and a great guy.That arswhole Hickey gave me a hard time when I first went there but an older brother came to the school and sorted him out and Br Reynolds(died soon after) and Br greene saved Hicke fro a good beating as that brother hurled for Canniers under Reynolds when he went there.My brother gave hickey a hard time when he was ther so the arswhole tried to take it out on me to his regret.Didnt bother me again and it was my first yr.
                        I had Brother harran who I liked but my favourite was Sean,O,Se a teacher I had for the last yrs .
                        I loved my time there even though I had to take two buses from glasnevin to get there and went across the rd to my aunt everyday for my lunch.
                        Sean Walsh sat beside me for all my school yrs even in the convent and he died out here in Canada.We also have a claim to fame with the only player to have 4 interceptions against Notre Dame(the fighting irish) in one game for usc,Adrian Young who was also an all americanand played pro and had a great career.He sat beside us before they left for America.I spoke to him once here and told him he was a disgrace not playing for the irish lol but I guess he loved the heat of California verus the cold of south bend for the football.lol.
                        There were so many great guys in my classes ,
                        and I have to tell you that contrary to what a lot of people went through here on the forum I had mostly positive times and a great education that has stood me till this day.They were hard but to me very fair.Sean o,se taught me lessons I used ever since so I have no gripes with a great school that I loved dearly.
                        Frank who sold the candies outside was great guy and when I first met him he was a little leery of me but I learned that my one brother used to tease him as he had a speech impediment and when my da heard he gave my brother(same one that clattered hickey) a good hiding and there was no more of that and I got to know frank and he was such a wonderful man.He knew who I was as soon as he saw me as we all look quite a like lol.
                        Br Clifford was mean rotten little bastard who came into the class screaming in gaelic"re,raw rula bulla ,cip id de re ,ceo more) and bateing anyone in is way with that leather so you ducked till he got to the desk lol.
                        I don't know if you remember Master Golden? he was the first modern type teacher in the school and he wore sideburns(locks) and the brothers didn't like it but he was the change.His brother was a good friend of mine out here who passed away a good few yrs ago.
                        Brendan Behan went there and his nephew peter was in my class and used to come from ballyfermot and other guys from artane and way out places so we were always together in the yard at lunchtime when I got back and kicked ball but no soccer unless noonan was on.There were three guys called o,brien in my class and a few guys from the warders houses up the n.cr.d.

Great school ,great times.
                        Last edited by tolka1; 28-09-2014, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Canniers 61-66

Hello Auld Decency....I was probably in your class as I remember the names ...we won a ton of cups for hurling n'football with canniers as well as O'Tooles JEZZA Mooney was the captain.....Had O'Riordan (Bollox) in 2nd class...then Kelly ,Coffey (great guy) 'Bull" but left if 6th 'cos we moved but went to O'Connell's Secondary....worked for Bord Telecom then to Saudi-Arabia and all over the Middle-East as an engineer with Siemens....now in Boston US.
                          Frank Ryan
                          Last edited by canniersfan; 22-10-2014, 08:11 AM. Reason: Forgot name

Comment

Hi Martin.....I was probably in canniers at the same time as you.....61-65.....had a great experience there and a terrific education....although none of us thought so at the time....had O'Riordan in 2nd class then varied between bro'killer" Kelly,Bro Coffey....really liked him and (he trained the "juniors") Bull,McBride Bro Harte.....always had my suspicions about him but nothing happened....if ya know what I mean.Bro Greene trained the seniors
                            I lived in N.William St. We moved to Coolock and I did 6th class in Kinsealy....basically did f-all there then back to O'Connell's Secondary.
                            I used to deliver the crates of milk and "sambos" (buns on Wednesday) in Canniers and won a ton of medals there and with O'Tooles
                            I remember Frank and his "penny bags"....sometimes even got a cigarette butt in them
                            Frank Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by canniersfan View Post
                              Hi Martin.....I was probably in canniers at the same time as you.....61-65.....had a great experience there and a terrific education....although none of us thought so at the time....had O'Riordan in 2nd class then varied between bro'killer" Kelly,Bro Coffey....really liked him and (he trained the "juniors") Bull,McBride Bro Harte.....always had my suspicions about him but nothing happened....if ya know what I mean.Bro Greene trained the seniors
                              I lived in N.William St. We moved to Coolock and I did 6th class in Kinsealy....basically did f-all there then back to O'Connell's Secondary.
                              I used to deliver the crates of milk and "sambos" (buns on Wednesday) in Canniers and won a ton of medals there and with O'Tooles
                              I remember Frank and his "penny bags"....sometimes even got a cigarette butt in them
                              Frank Ryan
                              Hello Frank, I went to Canices 64 to 69..... so we crossed paths. There was a Joey Mooney in my class 2B up to 6B who was a great footballer and I think his older brother was the captain you mention. I am also in Boston Ma USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X