Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs That Should Be Irish - But Aren't.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jembo View Post
    That's old Monte on his way to the bank.
    Ha ha!

Comment

Here you go Damn, have a look through

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
        Here you go Damn, have a look through
        Originally posted by bettyl View Post
        I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen is a popular song written by Thomas P. Westendorf in 1875. In spite of its German-American origins it is thought to be an Irish song by millions around the world.
        is this the one dtw mentions?

Comment

is this the one dtw mentions?
          oh no, it was recorded by a german bohemian, not written..... noel where are you? get your arse down here.......

Comment

oh no, it was recorded by a german bohemian, not written..... noel where are you? get your arse down here.......
            'ello Matey Toerag....the info is boiling hot....but a bit mixed up now there's two to choose from....with German's thrown in for good measure....great craic.
            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
              'ello Matey Toerag....the info is boiling hot....but a bit mixed up now there's two to choose from....with German's thrown in for good measure....great craic.
              if you definitely posted on here about it, then it's either tooraloralora or when irish eyes........otherwise it's not on here......'

Comment

if you definitely posted on here about it, then it's either tooraloralora or when irish eyes........otherwise it's not on here......'
                hang on ...let me have another look....

Comment

Interesting snippet on "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" from Clair Wills' excellent book "Dublin 1916: The Siege of the GPO":

"In a West London music hall, on the evening that the first news of the rebellion was published in London, the audience were treated to a rousing feel-good finale: an emotional rendition of the popular song "When British Eyes Are Smiling". As one member of the audience explained, "The news had just come through, popular indignation against Ireland ran high."............Against this volatile background the singer decided that the programme's closing number, with its syrupy chorus, "When Irish hearts are happy/All the world seems bright and gay", would be asking too much of his audience."
                  Last edited by KatieMorag; 21-01-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Interesting snippet on "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" from Clair Wills' excellent book "Dublin 1916: The Siege of the GPO":

"In a West London music hall, on the evening that the first news of the rebellion was published in London, the audience were treated to a rousing feel-good finale: an emotional rendition of the popular song "When British Eyes Are Smiling". As one member of the audience explained, "The news had just come through, popular indignation against Ireland ran high."............Against this volatile background the singer decided that the programme's closing number, with its syrupy chorus, "When Irish hearts are happy/All the world seems bright and gay", would be asking too much of his audience."
                    A smashing book altogether....sitting on shelf just above my head....She even agrees with me (Page 219)....that she never discovered where the phantom STEPS from which Pearse was said to have read the Proclamation....I like her for that as well as all the other great stuff within.

"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" again Words and Music by three Americans.

Comment

The only song by Josef Locke I've heard of is "Hear My Song" and that's only cos there's a film of the same name........is it that?

Comment

A smashing book altogether....sitting on shelf just above my head....She even agrees with me (Page 219)....that she never discovered where the phantom STEPS from which Pearse was said to have read the Proclamation....I like her for that as well as all the other great stuff within.

"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" again Words and Music by three Americans.
                        My copy is currently resting on my duvet, which is currently resting on me, which is currently resting on my bed..........

Comment

My copy is currently resting on my duvet, which is currently resting on me, which is currently resting on my bed..........
                          Toooo much information...

The only song by Josef Locke I've heard of is "Hear My Song" and that's only cos there's a film of the same name........is it that?
                          That's not it...but check out his signature tune then yill have it.

Comment

Toooo much information...

That's not it...but check out his signature tune then yill have it.
                            but that's cheating.........i'll wait for someone else to get it

Comment

Working...
                            X