Smithfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paudge View Post
    I didn't take any pics, no. The walls are full of pics of people who frequented the place over the years, one or two who I knew are there on the wall. Maybe I'll get my pic up there too, I'd love that.
    jaze ye have te do that .....it will be a place of honour for years te come....up there with all the regular locals.....an you as a local would be entitled.... So take the camera in and get someone te do ye wan with the landlord then frame it up and turn up there with framed pic with mirror plates, screws an a screw driver...an whose gonna say no ?.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

I didn't take any pics, no. The walls are full of pics of people who frequented the place over the years, one or two who I knew are there on the wall. Maybe I'll get my pic up there too, I'd love that.
      Take a few pix of the pix for us te see.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        Take a few pix of the pix for us te see.
        I cant put pics up here, some problem. Keep meaning to have somebody look at it for me but guess its not a big deal for me. One of the pics there is of the cast of Glenroe. Dont know how that came about, think they were filming nearby and they all ended up in The Glimmerman. It was taken in the 80s.

Comment

I cant put pics up here, some problem. Keep meaning to have somebody look at it for me but guess its not a big deal for me. One of the pics there is of the cast of Glenroe. Dont know how that came about, think they were filming nearby and they all ended up in The Glimmerman. It was taken in the 80s.
          thats the sort of thing Paudge.... i copied a very rare one off pic of Bang Bang in Fallons before it closed.....now all the memorabilia is gone since it was sold and refurbed.

Comment

Giant screen to be erected in Smithfield for the Ireland game tomorrow. Would love to be there but other plans in place. If it was just meself involved I'd be there waving me flag and joining in with the crack, gonna be great excitment.

Comment

Had a Christmas pint in McGettigans, Queen Street a couple of weeks back. Met a friend there [Jimmy]. I got to know Jimmy over the years, just got chatting one day while on one of my visits. Jimmy came from Queen Street and still lives in the area. I never knew him back in the day, a few years older than me but we've become friends and I always like meeting him and chatting away. Jimmy's not a man for the old westerns, prefers to watch sport and game shows on the telly, John Wayne Randolph Scott etc dont do it for him anymore. Oh well, I'm still riding along the trail, might blaze a trail up to Smithfield this week for a New Year pint.

Comment

Had a pint [or three] in O'Gara's in Stoneybatter recently. Quite a nice pub, nice surroundings, comfortable and 3-70 for a pint of Toborg. Normally when up that way I drop in to The Glimmer Man, a couple of doors away but I think I've fallen in love with O'Garas. Just love to sip me pint and enjoy the feeling of being home again.

Comment

Its me birthday later this month. I gotta head up to Smithfield/Stoneybatter for a birthday drink in me old hometown. Might check in to McGettigans in Queen St, see if Jimmy is around or head up to O'Garas in Stoneybatter where I could bump into Dessie, sur I could have a couple in O'Garas then head down to McGettigans and have another couple, yeah think thats what I'll do.

Comment

Its me birthday later this month. I gotta head up to Smithfield/Stoneybatter for a birthday drink in me old hometown. Might check in to McGettigans in Queen St, see if Jimmy is around or head up to O'Garas in Stoneybatter where I could bump into Dessie, sur I could have a couple in O'Garas then head down to McGettigans and have another couple, yeah think thats what I'll do.
                    good on ye.....have wan for me :-)

Comment

good on ye.....have wan for me :-)
                      I sure will DTW, might even have two.

Comment

I sure will DTW, might even have two.
                        Good man.....Why not book a taxi and go for an oil change....

Comment

On one of my recent visits to my old hometown I got to thinking about the friends I had on Hendrisk St as I walked along there. I remember Robbie, Frankie, Michael, Pat and John, there were girls too, Nancy, Yvonne, Betty. Now John is the one I want to tell you about now or rather his father Tom. First off John was a serious enough fella, loved anything to do with space. He listened to Dan Dare on the radio, told us about the planets, constellations etc. He showed us The Great Bear, Orion, The Plow and more I've forgotten about, John dreamed of growing up to become an astronaut. His dad Tom was an inoffensive little man, came and went about his business, never bothered anybody, didn't take a drink, as far as I can recall. Now the wife, Johns mother loved a bottle [or two] of Guiness, loved the bit of craic. Sometimes when we were out playing we'd see her pass by on her way down to the snug in one of the pubs in Queen St where she'd meet up with other women, Robbies mother included then when she came home she'd back bite them. What the hell, no telly then, no soaps to discuss so a bit of back biting was popular among the ladies [no offense ladies] back then, sur it kept them going. Even as a schoolboy back then I could see who was the boss in that relationship, yep Johns mother ruled the roost, wore the trousers. Anyway time passed and I moved out, the following year Robbie went and John too to Ballyfermot, unlike me they didn't keep coming back to see their old mates. Anyway on to the big picture, I'm sitting on the 40 bus and its stopped at the top of Gardnier St. I looked out the window and there I see Johns father Tom get up off a bench, throw his jacket on, pick up a sack, toss it over his shoulder and head across Mountjoy Square. To all intent and purposes, a down and out, tramps we called them back then. I felt so sad seeing him like that, what happened in those few years between Hendrick St and Ballyfermot? Did she meet someone else, throw him out? Where was John in all this? I'll never know the answers to these questions, I only hope things turned for Tom and he didn't end up on the streets for the remainder of his life. A little gentleman for sure.
                          Last edited by paudge; 13-06-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Was up in Stoneybatter last Tuesday. Paid a visit to Arbour Hill cemetary. It was a beautiful day, people sitting around enjoying the sunshine. I'd never been in the cemetary before, just strolling up Arbour Hill and decided to go in and look around. I had a nice thirst by then so over to O'Gara's I go for a pint of Tuborg, tastes even nicer when consumed in me old neigbourhood. There was a lovely athmosphere about the place, pity I didn't see any faces I recognised, ah well, time moves on and so do people. Be back soon.

Comment

On one of my recent visits to my old hometown I got to thinking about the friends I had on Hendrisk St as I walked along there. I remember Robbie, Frankie, Michael, Pat and John, there were girls too, Nancy, Yvonne, Betty. Now John is the one I want to tell you about now or rather his father Tom. First off John was a serious enough fella, loved anything to do with space. He listened to Dan Dare on the radio, told us about the planets, constellations etc. He showed us The Great Bear, Orion, The Plow and more I've forgotten about, John dreamed of growing up to become an astronaut. His dad Tom was an inoffensive little man, came and went about his business, never bothered anybody, didn't take a drink, as far as I can recall. Now the wife, Johns mother loved a bottle [or two] of Guiness, loved the bit of craic. Sometimes when we were out playing we'd see her pass by on her way down to the snug in one of the pubs in Queen St where she'd meet up with other women, Robbies mother included then when she came home she'd back bite them. What the hell, no telly then, no soaps to discuss so a bit of back biting was popular among the ladies [no offense ladies] back then, sur it kept them going. Even as a schoolboy back then I could see who was the boss in that relationship, yep Johns mother ruled the roost, wore the trousers. Anyway time passed and I moved out, the following year Robbie went and John too to Ballyfermot, unlike me they didn't keep coming back to see their old mates. Anyway on to the big picture, I'm sitting on the 40 bus and its stopped at the top of Gardnier St. I looked out the window and there I see Johns father Tom get up off a bench, throw his jacket on, pick up a sack, toss it over his shoulder and head across Mountjoy Square. To all intent and purposes, a down and out, tramps we called them back then. I felt so sad seeing him like that, what happened in those few years between Hendrick St and Ballyfermot? Did she meet someone else, throw him out? Where was John in all this? I'll never know the answers to these questions, I only hope things turned for Tom and he didn't end up on the streets for the remainder of his life. A little gentleman for sure.
                              Smashing recollection there pauge...shame about the old man, hope he got sorted. The women loved the Snug...inc me Granny who used keogh's at Leonard's Corner years ago....now the Headline bar.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Smashing recollection there pauge...shame about the old man, hope he got sorted. The women loved the Snug...inc me Granny who used keogh's at Leonard's Corner years ago....now the Headline bar.
                                Thanks for that DTW, nice to know somebody enjoys the thread. Great pic.
                                Last edited by paudge; 23-06-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X