No announcement yet.

Granville Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another view of Hill St playground, the headstones can be clearly seen against the wall.
    Attached Files
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
      That top one is Mountjoy Square playground, the house at the corner to the right is Oznam House owned by the St Vincent DePaul (where we as kids were brought for Christmas concerts etc) is on the corner of Grenville Street and Middle Gardiner St.
      All great stuff....and Ozanam House still goin strong....they did and still do great work. St Vinny paul Inspectors...... came to assess if ye were poor enough for assistance.....hide all the valuables lol.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Another view of Hill St playground, the headstones can be clearly seen against the wall.
        That's a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          That's a good one.
          Sad to say that times have changed... can you imagine a man being allowed in to push little girls on swings nowadays.

A more innocent time perhaps.... or have we become too protective?

Comment

Rashers
            I remember the sawmills as Legg brothers.......

Hill street had been named lower Temple Street but because of notoriety associated with brothels there ...it was changed

The Duke of Wellington was almost wed in that old Saint Georges church ...but...because it was closed due to the new Saint Georges church being built in (upr ) Temple Street ....at the childrens hospital )
            He was married in Whitworth Road .....a temporary church for Saint Georges church

Comment

Another photo of the playground
              Miss Aherne either returning a tennis serve ...or else that kid standing in front of her is in for a surprise
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by john doran View Post
                Rashers
                I remember the sawmills as Legg brothers.......

Hill street had been named lower Temple Street but because of notoriety associated with brothels there ...it was changed

The Duke of Wellington was almost wed in that old Saint Georges church ...but...because it was closed due to the new Saint Georges church being built in (upr ) Temple Street ....at the childrens hospital )
                He was married in Whitworth Road .....a temporary church for Saint Georges church
                That's it, Legg Bros, how did I forget?

And the oul Iron Duke who didn't want to be Irish walked in the area, he must have had to change his wellies afterwards.

I wonder if you remember the Infant Aid Society shop further up the street on the right. New mothers got free milk. I remember that and the wide necked bottles that had cardboard stoppers in the necks.

As far as I know that society was closed down because McQuaid considered them to be interfering in the lives of good Catholic families.... he wanted that all to himself.

Comment

You can just imagine Mc Quaid...down with that sort of thing ..!

I remember a cat in Grenville street with two different coloured eyes...blue and yellow

Comment

Sad to say that times have changed... can you imagine a man being allowed in to push little girls on swings nowadays.

A more innocent time perhaps.... or have we become too protective?
                    Thought he was pushin the lil lad....prob even more frowned upon. There was or is a rule over here now....no cameras allowed at kids school pantos and such like....just in case an all that.

Comment

That's it, Legg Bros, how did I forget?

And the oul Iron Duke who didn't want to be Irish walked in the area, he must have had to change his wellies afterwards.

I wonder if you remember the Infant Aid Society shop further up the street on the right. New mothers got free milk. I remember that and the wide necked bottles that had cardboard stoppers in the necks.

As far as I know that society was closed down because McQuaid considered them to be interfering in the lives of good Catholic families.... he wanted that all to himself.
                      Wellington and McQuaid in the same breath....get behind me satan.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X