X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
    Does Noddy and his friend Big Ears count? lol
    Was it riveting reading...lol
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Read a book many may years ago ''The uprooted survive''....About refugees/immigrants to Australia that had Communist ''sleepers'' among them....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
        My favourite book was 'Strumpet City' by James Plunkett. As a kid I loved Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels and Coral Island by RM Ballantyne.
        Decided on two names from the book when we named our two lads. Brill book and story.
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

read a good book a couple of years ago,just remembered, merryweather and clark, about discovering the 'west' in America, was also made into a tele doco/drama later. tough times then.
          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
            read a good book a couple of years ago,just remembered, merryweather and clark, about discovering the 'west' in America, was also made into a tele doco/drama later. tough times then.
            Was that the 'Corps of Discovery Expedition' 1804 Cos ?.

Comment

you're right, I got it a little bemuddled , Merriweather lewis was the leader, along with clark in the expedition you mentioned...
              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                you're right, I got it a little bemuddled , Merriweather lewis was the leader, along with clark in the expedition you mentioned...
                Some 'jolly' that was eh ?......Anyone for Exped....see the Chief

Comment

This is an online book by Philip Lecane about the Dubs at Gallipoli and is a great read for anyone interested in the campaign.
                  It was the First World War's largest seaborne invasion and the Irish were at the forefront. Recruited in Ireland, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were ordered to spearhead the invasion of Gallipoli in Turkey. Deadlocked in trench warfare on the Western Front, the British High Command hoped the assault would Germany's ally out of the war. Using letters and photographs, this book tells the story of the 'Dubs' officers and men called from an idyllic posting in India to be billeted on the civilian population in England. They then set off on what was presented as a great adventure to win glory and capture Constantinople. The book also gives the story of the Turkish defenders and the locality being invaded. Accompanied by the Royal Munster Fusiliers, packed aboard the SS River Clyde, the 'Dubs' landed from ships boats on the fiercely defended beach at Sedd-el-Bahr. The song The Foggy Dew says, "It were better to die beneath an Irish sky than at Suvla or Sedd-el-Bahr." This book tells the story of the forgotten Irishmen who died beneath a Turkish sky in what was Ireland's D-Day.
                  Attached Files
                  I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                  Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Some years back I read Kane and Abel by Jeffery Archer, though it was a brilliant read. More recently I read The Murder Of Sonny Liston, very good read too.

Comment

Trinity , by Leon Uris , sticks out in my mind as a great read , or so I thought , at the time but it must be 40 years since I read it .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                        Trinity , by Leon Uris , sticks out in my mind as a great read , or so I thought , at the time but it must be 40 years since I read it .
                        I read all Leon Uri,s books in the day....and loved the likes of Exodus ,The Haj , Mila 18.......But never liked Trinity.....thought it was very John Wayne Quiet man type of book.......probably think differently if I read it now
                        The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                          I read all Leon Uri,s books in the day....and loved the likes of Exodus ,The Haj , Mila 18.......But never liked Trinity.....thought it was very John Wayne Quiet man type of book.......probably think differently if I read it now
                          Didnt he write it with his wife ? if memory serves me , she probably done all the yucky parts .

Comment

I read a book a few weeks ago , The Speckled People . Its a true story told by its author Hugo Hamilton ,about his family living in Dunlaoghaire in the 1950s . The mother comes across as a lovely German woman but the Father is a Fascist Gaeligore from West Cork who beats his kids if they speak a word of English . Its very well written , mostly from the child's perspective .

Comment

another home grown author,

Niall Kavanagh from cabra/drumcondra

Book.....
                              Laughter, Tears, & Wonders.

Great Read...I ordered mine via amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                                Didnt he write it with his wife ? if memory serves me , she probably done all the yucky parts .
                                No as far as i can remember he wrote "Ireland a terrible beauty"... with his wife ....she contributed the photo's shown in the book
                                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Working...
                                X