This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    no stickification? to prevent duplicated threads......
    Yull be 'stickified' if ye keep on
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      This the flying column that never carried out a successful ambush as referenced in the Sean Hogan thread HERE ?
      Yeah...the quote was =
      Nevertheless Hogan remained in charge of his column and, by the time the truce came about in July 1921, they had failed to pull off even ONE successful ambush.
      From here = http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/sho...7&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        Yull be 'stickified' if ye keep on
        why? Seems obvious to me.......Civil War thread is a sticky.......much easier to find. I think it's cutbacks, they've reduced the sellotape budget......

Comment

AND Michael Collins, The Irish VCs and The Squad are all stickificated......

Comment

why? Seems obvious to me.......Civil War thread is a sticky.......much easier to find. I think it's cutbacks, they've reduced the sellotape budget......
            Have you ever been ....stickified ?

Comment

AND Michael Collins, The Irish VCs and The Squad are all stickificated......
              Yes of course...

It does make sense.... I was just playing silly for ONCE.... Nuttin like a good oul fashioned bit a stickification te liven things up on those long lonely nights.....

Comment

Yes of course...

It does make sense.... I was just playing silly for ONCE.... Nuttin like a good oul fashioned bit a stickification te liven things up on those long lonely nights.....
                true, but doesn't it drive you mad when you can't find the sticky end?

Comment

true, but doesn't it drive you mad when you can't find the sticky end?
                  You Know !!!!

Comment

THOMAS WHELAN Executed: 14 March, 1921 6.00 a.m.
                    Aged 22, from Sky Road, Clifden, Galway.

Thomas Whelan went to Dublin aged 18 looking for work, and after a year or two joined the Volunteers. He had worked with the Midland and Great Western Railway. He lived at Barrow Street, Ringsend. He was arrested in November 1920 and brought to Kilmainham, before being transferred to Mountjoy. He was charged with the shooting of Captain Baggallyon Bloody Sunday, November 21st, 1920. Whelan strongly protested his innocence.

Maud Gonne McBride comforts Wheelan's mother outside Mountjoy. Wheelan did not do it....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dev's bright idea..."let's burn the custom house" was it eighty percent of Dub best volunteers captured....what a feckin gobshite eejihh. They were told te use paraffin to set the place ablaze....so guess wha....when the Brits turned up to arrest them....they cordoned the place off and sniffed their hands....any fin...in clink....All done against the wishes of Michael Collins who had been doing all the heavy lifting.... while the Divil was swanning it in luxury in the Waldorf Astoria New York.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Dev's bright idea..."let's burn the custom house" was it eighty percent of Dub best volunteers captured....what a feckin gobshite eejihh. They were told te use paraffin to set the place ablaze....so guess wha....when the Brits turned up to arrest them....they cordoned the place off and sniffed their hands....any fin...in clink....All done against the wishes of Michael Collins who had been doing all the heavy lifting.... while the Divil was swanning it in luxury in the Waldorf Astoria New York.
                        View from the quays...

custom house 21.jpg
                        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

is that the fire where all the records were destroyed? What a stupid thing to do

Comment

is that the fire where all the records were destroyed? What a stupid thing to do
                            It was ....and yes really it was.....but although it was a major disaster to the Squad and the Dublin Guard...and to have so many men captured.

I hate to say it, but it's true, the act did attract massive publicity all over the world and did hasten matters toward the Free State.

All that said; The world and his dog trying to chase ancestry are at a great disadvantage on account of the archive that was housed in the Custom House.

The second massive archive was destroyed in that other major debacle The Bombing of the Four Courts.

Two of the most important archive depositories destroyed "needlessly" imo anyway.

Comment

What records were actually destroyed? Was it census returns? I've never had a problem tracing births etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                                View from the quays...
                                More...

Can you remember how Vinny Byrne avoided capture....very clever ??????
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X