Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great picture Joan, they are certainly enjoying themselves

Comment

• I loved Carnivals Vico. I loved the one in Crumlin Village and as I grew older I loved the dances in the marquee.

At that time the trend of getting a handkerchief and placing it into your bracelet or watch absolutely doused in perfume was in.

As you whirled around the floor you poor captive man was bamboozled and you had him in the palm of your hand lol! I know I will never be able to get up on any of those things ever again

Lovely to be young and reckless

Comment

• Tonight the voting is over and tomorrow the count begins,

Many years ago when I lived In Crumlin I worked sometimes in town, You would see crowds of people around the Irish Press windows as the elections results kept changing, It was addictive as every minute the numbers indicated a different result,

Tonight we have sort of results but with Transfers etc that could all change

How I wish we were back in simpler times when we stood outside a window and saw the results go up

Comment

• Yes Joan life was easier and more predictable

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
            Yes Joan life was easier and more predictable
            Oh Vico I remember when my Parents talked about their youth they also said in their time things were so much better lol!

No doubt our children will say the same. My Dad could not see how Elvis Presley was famous. He found all that music MAD.

He thought the Teddy boy outfits ridiculous and even the movies,

I thought Guys with Mohawks Funny and the arse of the trousers around th
            e knees with the bum hanging out. I thought was so silly

So I am sure A lot more recent things are things my Grandchildren will recall as silly and will also say "In my Time"

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
              Tonight the voting is over and tomorrow the count begins,

Many years ago when I lived In Crumlin I worked sometimes in town, You would see crowds of people around the Irish Press windows as the elections results kept changing, It was addictive as every minute the numbers indicated a different result,

Tonight we have sort of results but with Transfers etc that could all change

How I wish we were back in simpler times when we stood outside a window and saw the results go up
              And Haughey and Fitzgerald used to come in to the RTE studio on the night of the count and give an interview. I don't think Enda will be doing that tonight.

Comment

• No offence intended Fairmaiden, but what have Haughey and Fitzgerald got to do with Crumlin? Did either of them have Crumlin connections. If so I'm sure all members who are Crumliners wold be really interested to hear? Do tell

Comment

• No Vico Not from Crumlin. Today not regarded in a good light. But if he filled his pockets he threw a little in our pockets to. He brought in the Travel pass for senior citizens and the free electricity. I was not eligible for the free electricity because of My Guinness Pension. But I sure use the travel pass,

"There is growing consciousness in our community of the problems of the old and a good deal of voluntary personal service is being devoted to their welfare. While our social welfare services are being continuously improved, there is considerable scope for voluntary effort in providing old people not just with the basic necessities of life but also with some comfort and companionship. I hope more people will associate themselves with these very praiseworthy activities. For their part the Government have been considering particularly the difficult circumstances of old people who live alone. We have decided to give this group additional help by way of free electricity and transport.
                  The electricity bill can be a worry when resources are limited. A scheme is being prepared which will remove this expense, or reduce it substantially, for all households consisting only of old age pensioners. It is intended to give relief from the fixed charge on the ESB's domestic consumer tariff. This is 11s as a minimum for each two-month period. The scheme will be brought into operation from 1st October next.

A scheme is also being worked out in consultation with CIE whereby old age and blind pensioners will be able to travel free of charge on CIE buses and trains during periods when traffic is not heavy. It will be introduced during the course of the next few months.

The net cost of the schemes, as agreed after some experience of their operation will be reimbursed to the ESB and CIE from the public funds."
                  Charles J. Haughey T.D.
                  Minister for Finance,
                  Dáil Éireann,
                  11th April 1967

This extract from Charles J. Haughey's first Budget Speech signalled the introduction of the Free Travel Scheme for the elderly which was undoubtedly revolutionary in its social impact when introduced in the late 1960's.

Throughout his political career, Charles Haughey displayed a deep and genuine concern for the welfare of older people. He endeavoured to provide the elderly, not only with the basic necessities of life, but, to ensure that they had some comfort and companionship in their later years.

Free Travel is available to people aged 66 or over and to certain incapacitated people under age 66 who permanently live in the State. It allows for the use of public transport, and a large number of private bus and ferry services, free of charge. A spouse or partner may also travel free.

Mr. Haughey himself recalled that this measure was introduced against the strong advice of his senior civil servants at the time. Indeed one senior civil servant insisted on accompanying him right up to the door of the Dáil Chamber on Budget day in an attempt to finally persuade him to drop the proposal.
                  The writer Micheál Ó Nualláin wrote as follows in 2005,

"The Free Travel Pass is the greatest thing since fried bread or the sliced pan. It enables the elderly or those over 66 years to escape from being perpetual prisoners in their own home and be able to freely travel daily, locally or throughout the length and breath of the country. Many on pensions could not heretofore afford the luxury and expense of public transport and were forced to remain mostly confined to their homes."
                  "Until a few years ago most elderly people were prisoners confined to their homes and could not often afford to travel by public transport locally or throughout the country. Locomotion or travel for many was mostly confined to shanks mare on their own two legs as far afield as old age energies could muster. This meant that shopping was confined to nearby establishments. It made forays further afield difficult and rare. Frequent long journeys were difficult and often out of the question. The elderly and senior citizens were as it were placed under house arrest."

"The Free Travel Pass enables those of advanced age to travel free locally on public transport thus enabling them to go shopping, to the library, visit friends, or whatever, in clement or inclement weather. They may also travel anywhere throughout the country on public transport to visit relations, friends or have a daily change of environment. I know a number of people who use the Travel Pass to have a pleasurable day out. They travel a hundred miles or more, often to a town they were never in before, have their lunch or a couple of drinks or both, and then return home replenished. That was never possible for them in the not too distant past.

The Free Travel Pass has revolutionised the life of the elderly and in time will revolutionise the elderly lives of many millions who are yet unborn. It touches people individually and personally and is a tribute to their age.

Just imagine the miracle of the age, all public transport is free for the elderly, all local transport, in Dublin that not only means buses, it includes the DART, the LUAS and the Blue Bus. Long distance travel is also free to any place in Ireland and that includes the six counties by Bus or Rail.
                  This wonderful and inspired amenity has made a great difference to the life of those in advancing years. This means more that the travel itself, however important mobility is. It means that the needs of older people are recognised and acted on meaningfully, forging a caring society and bestowing esteem on the elderly. We should also not forget that the politician responsible for bringing about the implementation of this inspired legislation that made all this possible is none other than the late Charles Haughey."

As a public representative, Mr. Haughey received a considerable amount of correspondence from the public, on a wide range of issues, right up to the day he passed away and indeed this correspondence continued to be received by his family for many months after his death. If any single issue can be said to have dominated his post in the latter years of his life, it was undoubtedly the Free Travel Scheme. As one wag put it cryptically, it allowed every old age pensioner "the freedom of the city", the ability to come and go, to travel around at will, anywhere and at any time. It was particularly moving for his family to observe elderly mourners proudly holding up high their bus passes as his funeral cortege made its way out to St. Fintan's cemetery in Sutton.

Charles Haughey had great talent and ability. He also had imagination and flair. The introduction of the Free Travel Scheme is a clear example of this. This simple measure had a profound impact on Irish Society and is considered by many to be one of his most positive and enduring legacies.
                  Last edited by joan mack; 28-02-2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Mr O'Keefe was a politician in Crumlin in my time living there, He had a shop on Sundrive Road and people would wait patiently outside to get help with whatever problem.

He was partial to a pretty face lol

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                      No Vico Not from Crumlin. Today not regarded in a good light. But if he filled his pockets he threw a little in our pockets to. He brought in the Travel pass for senior citizens and the free electricity. I was not eligible for the free electricity because of My Guinness Pension. But I sure use the travel pass,

"There is growing consciousness in our community of the problems of the old and a good deal of voluntary personal service is being devoted to their welfare. While our social welfare services are being continuously improved, there is considerable scope for voluntary effort in providing old people not just with the basic necessities of life but also with some comfort and companionship. I hope more people will associate themselves with these very praiseworthy activities. For their part the Government have been considering particularly the difficult circumstances of old people who live alone. We have decided to give this group additional help by way of free electricity and transport.
                      The electricity bill can be a worry when resources are limited. A scheme is being prepared which will remove this expense, or reduce it substantially, for all households consisting only of old age pensioners. It is intended to give relief from the fixed charge on the ESB's domestic consumer tariff. This is 11s as a minimum for each two-month period. The scheme will be brought into operation from 1st October next.

A scheme is also being worked out in consultation with CIE whereby old age and blind pensioners will be able to travel free of charge on CIE buses and trains during periods when traffic is not heavy. It will be introduced during the course of the next few months.

The net cost of the schemes, as agreed after some experience of their operation will be reimbursed to the ESB and CIE from the public funds."
                      Charles J. Haughey T.D.
                      Minister for Finance,
                      Dáil Éireann,
                      11th April 1967

This extract from Charles J. Haughey's first Budget Speech signalled the introduction of the Free Travel Scheme for the elderly which was undoubtedly revolutionary in its social impact when introduced in the late 1960's.

Throughout his political career, Charles Haughey displayed a deep and genuine concern for the welfare of older people. He endeavoured to provide the elderly, not only with the basic necessities of life, but, to ensure that they had some comfort and companionship in their later years.

Free Travel is available to people aged 66 or over and to certain incapacitated people under age 66 who permanently live in the State. It allows for the use of public transport, and a large number of private bus and ferry services, free of charge. A spouse or partner may also travel free.

Mr. Haughey himself recalled that this measure was introduced against the strong advice of his senior civil servants at the time. Indeed one senior civil servant insisted on accompanying him right up to the door of the Dáil Chamber on Budget day in an attempt to finally persuade him to drop the proposal.
                      The writer Micheál Ó Nualláin wrote as follows in 2005,

"The Free Travel Pass is the greatest thing since fried bread or the sliced pan. It enables the elderly or those over 66 years to escape from being perpetual prisoners in their own home and be able to freely travel daily, locally or throughout the length and breath of the country. Many on pensions could not heretofore afford the luxury and expense of public transport and were forced to remain mostly confined to their homes."
                      "Until a few years ago most elderly people were prisoners confined to their homes and could not often afford to travel by public transport locally or throughout the country. Locomotion or travel for many was mostly confined to shanks mare on their own two legs as far afield as old age energies could muster. This meant that shopping was confined to nearby establishments. It made forays further afield difficult and rare. Frequent long journeys were difficult and often out of the question. The elderly and senior citizens were as it were placed under house arrest."

"The Free Travel Pass enables those of advanced age to travel free locally on public transport thus enabling them to go shopping, to the library, visit friends, or whatever, in clement or inclement weather. They may also travel anywhere throughout the country on public transport to visit relations, friends or have a daily change of environment. I know a number of people who use the Travel Pass to have a pleasurable day out. They travel a hundred miles or more, often to a town they were never in before, have their lunch or a couple of drinks or both, and then return home replenished. That was never possible for them in the not too distant past.

The Free Travel Pass has revolutionised the life of the elderly and in time will revolutionise the elderly lives of many millions who are yet unborn. It touches people individually and personally and is a tribute to their age.

Just imagine the miracle of the age, all public transport is free for the elderly, all local transport, in Dublin that not only means buses, it includes the DART, the LUAS and the Blue Bus. Long distance travel is also free to any place in Ireland and that includes the six counties by Bus or Rail.
                      This wonderful and inspired amenity has made a great difference to the life of those in advancing years. This means more that the travel itself, however important mobility is. It means that the needs of older people are recognised and acted on meaningfully, forging a caring society and bestowing esteem on the elderly. We should also not forget that the politician responsible for bringing about the implementation of this inspired legislation that made all this possible is none other than the late Charles Haughey."

As a public representative, Mr. Haughey received a considerable amount of correspondence from the public, on a wide range of issues, right up to the day he passed away and indeed this correspondence continued to be received by his family for many months after his death. If any single issue can be said to have dominated his post in the latter years of his life, it was undoubtedly the Free Travel Scheme. As one wag put it cryptically, it allowed every old age pensioner "the freedom of the city", the ability to come and go, to travel around at will, anywhere and at any time. It was particularly moving for his family to observe elderly mourners proudly holding up high their bus passes as his funeral cortege made its way out to St. Fintan's cemetery in Sutton.

Charles Haughey had great talent and ability. He also had imagination and flair. The introduction of the Free Travel Scheme is a clear example of this. This simple measure had a profound impact on Irish Society and is considered by many to be one of his most positive and enduring legacies.
                      I see his son, Sean has got elected.

Comment

• A time of Innocence Clonard Road
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by fairmaiden View Post
                          I see his son, Sean has got elected.
                          Hi FM only got back to my computer now. I have been out all day. I agree with you that Charlie did many good things including the travel pass. I have to say that without it, I would not be going out too much myself. I no longer live in Dublin and the busfare to Dublin to visit my friends is very high.

I was not questioning the benefits that Charlie offered many people in his time in government. My query was why you were posting it on the Crumlin Thread. I thought perhaps there might have been a connection between him and Crumlin that people didn't know about, but would like to.

Comment

• I love those old pickies Joan, where there was a group of children there was nearly always a doggie there too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                              Hi FM only got back to my computer now. I have been out all day. I agree with you that Charlie did many good things including the travel pass. I have to say that without it, I would not be going out too much myself. I no longer live in Dublin and the busfare to Dublin to visit my friends is very high.

I was not questioning the benefits that Charlie offered many people in his time in government. My query was why you were posting it on the Crumlin Thread. I thought perhaps there might have been a connection between him and Crumlin that people didn't know about, but would like to.
                              I didnt post anything about what Charlie Haughey did for people on this thread. Im confused why you think I did.

Comment

• FM I realise what occurred. You posted information that had been posted before by another member, with details of what Charlie did. I read it, but only now when I looked back did I realise what occurred. Sorry about the confusion, put it down to advancing years. I won't tell you how many advancing years, I will leave you guessing on that one. Good night.

Comment

Working...
                                X