This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
    LOL...I bet you enjoyed the drink and felt grown up....I remember going into a pub and the barman said.....You are too young but you can have one...I think that was the Stags Head off Dame street...
    I had many a session there , great for trad music.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post
      I had many a session there , great for trad music.
      Only used to go there on our way to the snooker hall at the end of the lane...Never been there when music was on, though the last time I was there was early 60's...Lovely interior there as I remember..
      The pub I went to now and again for music was the Cana Inn in King street. Gone now I believe for the Building of the Green shopping centre...I remember my Mam saying that when she was in a front room in Mercers hospital she could hear the music from there...
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• I believe DTW was having his covid jab the end of January......Hope he is done by now

Comment

Only used to go there on our way to the snooker hall at the end of the lane...Never been there when music was on, though the last time I was there was early 60's...Lovely interior there as I remember..
          The pub I went to now and again for music was the Cana Inn in King street. Gone now I believe for the Building of the Green shopping centre...I remember my Mam saying that when she was in a front room in Mercers hospital she could hear the music from there...
          I have to admit, I never heard of it and drank in a few pubs there in the 70s
          Here’s a little info on it

Site of the Cana Inn/Big Al’s indicated by red circle on map of early 1900s Dublin.
          Established: c1780s

Other Names: Big Al’s (Late 1970s/80s)

The Cana Inn was a music lover’s pub very much in character with the area around South King Street, a street dominated by the Gaiety Theatre across the road and a street which also boasted the Toby Jug, another bar which doubled as an informal music venue in the 1960s and 1970s. You also had Advance Records, a music store a few doors up from the Cana Inn, which was the hangout of many a young Dublin punk in the late 70’s and early ’80s. The main photo above shows number 22 highlighted among the other buildings and that’s as close as we’ve got to a clear image of the Cana Inn as it was. To give a bit more visual context I’ve also added a few photos below of South King Street in the 70s and 80s which show the Cana in its later incarnation as Big Al’s.

In Roy Bulson’s Irish Pubs of Character (1969) he describes the Cana Inn as follows:

“This is one of Dublin’s singing pubs and many of the now famous ballad groups started here. The pub itself is over 200 years old. There is a very congenial atmosphere in the bar where you can also enjoy one of the few games of bar billiards in Dublin. A good place to have a pint. Television is available.”

Bulson lists the proprietor as Mr. P. G. Fitzpatrick. Draughts beers available at the time were Guinness, Smithwicks, Phoenix, Celebration, Watney’s Red Barrell and Carling Lager. Soup and sandwiches were also sold.

Roly Brown’s excellent obituary piece on balladeer Tom Crean who passed away in 2013 elaborates on the Cana Inn’s musical traditions:

“Then there was the ‘Sally Night’ at the Cana Inn on a Thursday when you sang anything but from your usual repertoire and this was interspersed with games of bar billiards – Tom was an invetorate maker of breaks – and a pause to watch the 1948 show, precursor to Python. This was a place of uproarious Dublin humour the legacy of which still evinces smiles and cackles….“. The full obituary can be found here (www.mustrad.org)

Another great singer who plied his trade in the Cana Inn was Red Peters, a tipperary native who made his home in Dublin and who could frequently be heard belting out blues, soul, rock, and rhythm and blues numbers in the Cana and many other Dublin venues, like Moran’s Hotel and Slattery’s of Capel Street, from the 60’s through to the 1980s. You can learn more about Red on the website devoted to his life and music www.redpeters.ie .

Another interesting nugget emerging from the Red Peters website was the fact that Cana Inn also had their own house band for a time in the late 60s and 70s which at one point featured Alec Finn who was later to join the great De Dannan. The pubs trad credentials well and truly nailed there too so.

Comment

I believe DTW was having his covid jab the end of January......Hope he is done by now
            Give him my regards.

Comment

Give him my regards.
              Coming on ten years since the Bullshoite on Sea trip.

Comment

I have to admit, I never heard of it and drank in a few pubs there in the 70s
                Here’s a little info on it

Site of the Cana Inn/Big Al’s indicated by red circle on map of early 1900s Dublin.
                Established: c1780s

Other Names: Big Al’s (Late 1970s/80s)

The Cana Inn was a music lover’s pub very much in character with the area around South King Street, a street dominated by the Gaiety Theatre across the road and a street which also boasted the Toby Jug, another bar which doubled as an informal music venue in the 1960s and 1970s. You also had Advance Records, a music store a few doors up from the Cana Inn, which was the hangout of many a young Dublin punk in the late 70’s and early ’80s. The main photo above shows number 22 highlighted among the other buildings and that’s as close as we’ve got to a clear image of the Cana Inn as it was. To give a bit more visual context I’ve also added a few photos below of South King Street in the 70s and 80s which show the Cana in its later incarnation as Big Al’s.

In Roy Bulson’s Irish Pubs of Character (1969) he describes the Cana Inn as follows:

“This is one of Dublin’s singing pubs and many of the now famous ballad groups started here. The pub itself is over 200 years old. There is a very congenial atmosphere in the bar where you can also enjoy one of the few games of bar billiards in Dublin. A good place to have a pint. Television is available.”

Bulson lists the proprietor as Mr. P. G. Fitzpatrick. Draughts beers available at the time were Guinness, Smithwicks, Phoenix, Celebration, Watney’s Red Barrell and Carling Lager. Soup and sandwiches were also sold.

Roly Brown’s excellent obituary piece on balladeer Tom Crean who passed away in 2013 elaborates on the Cana Inn’s musical traditions:

“Then there was the ‘Sally Night’ at the Cana Inn on a Thursday when you sang anything but from your usual repertoire and this was interspersed with games of bar billiards – Tom was an invetorate maker of breaks – and a pause to watch the 1948 show, precursor to Python. This was a place of uproarious Dublin humour the legacy of which still evinces smiles and cackles….“. The full obituary can be found here (www.mustrad.org)

Another great singer who plied his trade in the Cana Inn was Red Peters, a tipperary native who made his home in Dublin and who could frequently be heard belting out blues, soul, rock, and rhythm and blues numbers in the Cana and many other Dublin venues, like Moran’s Hotel and Slattery’s of Capel Street, from the 60’s through to the 1980s. You can learn more about Red on the website devoted to his life and music www.redpeters.ie .

Another interesting nugget emerging from the Red Peters website was the fact that Cana Inn also had their own house band for a time in the late 60s and 70s which at one point featured Alec Finn who was later to join the great De Dannan. The pubs trad credentials well and truly nailed there too so.
                I think the last time I was in there was when my father died, so that would be 1967..It was not unusual to see men dressed in patent leather shoes and silk scarves and ladies dressed to the nines in there before they went to the Gaiety Theatre...
                I met one such gentleman in there whom I believe was my sisters father..Never did find out for sure as it was never mentioned at home....He did occasionally visit my Mother at home and when he'd gone we seemed to be able to afford a few small luxuries....
                He had an Office stationary business on the Corner of Nth King street/Smithfield corner...He would also leave a few nights worth of pints behind the bar in the local pub for my father...

Comment

Coming on ten years since the Bullshoite on Sea trip.
                  Will do......Yes, though seems a bit longer....

I enjoyed going back to Southsea/Portsmouth...Spent nearly a year working there in the 70's

Comment

I think the last time I was in there was when my father died, so that would be 1967..It was not unusual to see men dressed in patent leather shoes and silk scarves and ladies dressed to the nines in there before they went to the Gaiety Theatre...
                    I met one such gentleman in there whom I believe was my sisters father..Never did find out for sure as it was never mentioned at home....He did occasionally visit my Mother at home and when he'd gone we seemed to be able to afford a few small luxuries....
                    He had an Office stationary business on the Corner of Nth King street/Smithfield corner...He would also leave a few nights worth of pints behind the bar in the local pub for my father...
                    I played bagatelle a form of bar billiards against the Cana inn, I think it would have been 1968

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                      I played bagatelle a form of bar billiards against the Cana inn, I think it would have been 1968
                      I remember the Table in there...Took up a lot of room in such a small pub....

Comment

The sin that never speaks its name , to paraphrase. I think every family in those days had someone with extra marital situations and like you said it was never spoken about.
                        My mother’s brother had children for four different women. He was known as The Tom Fellah , or as me Da called him , the whore master.

Comment

The sin that never speaks its name , to paraphrase. I think every family in those days had someone with extra marital situations and like you said it was never spoken about.
                          My mother’s brother had children for four different women. He was known as The Tom Fellah , or as me Da called him , the whore master.
                          LOL....There was some honour in those days...Though he was married with kids as my Mam found out later she never told his wife.....That info came from my sister without mentioning a name.....

Strangely my own daughter was conned the same way, but she brought up their son on her own and never informed his wife as he had kids.....

Comment

• Never remember the Cana Inn.....but my sister had her 30th birthday party in Big Al's......
                            The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• signal cabin.westland row.

sams junk shop.

haypenny bridge.

croke park before the stands.

mill st , north inner city.
                              Attached Files
                              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Great pictures Cosmo

Comment

Working...
                                X