• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
    No my head got too big for it LOL
    Glad no little head on big body eh
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Many a pint I had there too, on the way to my girlfriends place in Bath Ave, then off to play a session in the Mount St Club
      I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• Originally posted by tommie View Post
        Many a pint I had there too, on the way to my girlfriends place in Bath Ave, then off to play a session in the Mount St Club
        Bath Avenue.
        Attached Files

Comment

• The only pub i remember being in in Bath Ave was Jack Ryans and that was about 40 years ago, it was basically a tin shed. Its probably long gone

Comment

• Interesting pic of original Abbey redesigned from an old Music Hall called the Hibernian Theatre of Varieties....but not sure when it was a Savings Bank... looks like it was before the theatre took over.

Destroyed by fire 18th of July 1951 it moved to the Guinness Theatre James's Street before moving into the old Queen's The old Abbey ruin was demolished February 1961 and new built on the site.

A boring grey building imo, designed by Irish architect Michael Scott, with the foundation stone laid by that oul bags Dev Sep 1963 and in July 1966 the new theatre was opened for business.
            This pic c1930.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
              Interesting pic of original Abbey redesigned from an old Music Hall called the Hibernian Theatre of Varieties....but not sure when it was a Savings Bank... looks like it was before the theatre took over.

Destroyed by fire 18th of July 1951 it moved to the Guinness Theatre James's Street before moving into the old Queen's The old Abbey ruin was demolished February 1961 and new built on the site.

A boring grey building imo, designed by Irish architect Michael Scott, with the foundation stone laid by that oul bags Dev Sep 1963 and in July 1966 the new theatre was opened for business.
              This pic c1930.
              DTW

The Savings Bank
              ----------------------------
              It was a branch of the Meath Street Bank and was in 2 Marlborough Street from at least 1835 to 1840
              It moved on the 5th October 1840 to nearby Lower Abbey Street and became known as the Dublin Savings Bank

The building in photo then became an Exhibition Hall
              A Temperence and Coffee cafe
              Offices for shipping agent
              And the city Morgue and Coroners office before the Abbey Theatre*

* the Hibernian was part of the Mechanics Institute on Abbey Street on the corner of Marlborough Street
              This building was amalgamated with the Savings Bank to create the Abbey Theatre
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
                DTW

The Savings Bank
                ----------------------------
                It was a branch of the Meath Street Bank and was in 2 Marlborough Street from at least 1835 to 1840
                It moved on the 5th October 1840 to nearby Lower Abbey Street and became known as the Dublin Savings Bank

The building in photo then became an Exhibition Hall
                A Temperance and Coffee cafe
                Offices for shipping agent
                And the city Morgue and Coroners office before the Abbey Theatre*

* the Hibernian was part of the Mechanics Institute on Abbey Street on the corner of Marlborough Street
                This building was amalgamated with the Savings Bank to create the Abbey Theatre
                Great work there yet again JD and many thanks. Was aware of Mech Institute link but none of the other detail, thanks again.

Comment

Great work there yet again JD and many thanks. Was aware of Mech Institute link but none of the other detail, thanks again.
                  Like yourself DTW I don,t like the new building even with the portico they erected in 1989
                  It reminds me too much of what was done to the Plaza cinema/ Bethesda chapel
                  Attached Files

Comment

Like yourself DTW I don,t like the new building even with the portico they erected in 1989
                    Call themselves architects !!!! Even I could done better

Comment

Here's one for ya JD... 1916 but where is it ?.. BTW I don't know....but it's a tough one
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's one for ya JD... 1916 but where is it ?.. BTW I don't know....but it's a tough one
                        Some interesting writing on the cellar cover.....bottom right hand corner
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                          Some interesting writing on the cellar cover.....bottom right hand corner
                          Yeh saw that but prob the makers name...cant enlarge well nuff to read it. Has to be a laneway round about the GPO ish.

Comment

• Ballsbridge before the US embassy
                            Attached Files

Comment

It,s a tough one alright
                              I,m trying to decipher the writing on the signs on the wall visible between the two right hand soldiers

Comment

• Was this one up before if so ill delete it
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X