X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hahahhaa.....i love you too hagar lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
      Adds Mykidsmom to Christmas card list, then crosses her name out with my special red pen.
      Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
      hahahhaa.....i love you too hagar lol.
      Trust me, you don't want to be on ANY of Hagars lists!

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Motion View Post
        Trust me, you don't want to be on ANY of Hagars lists!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          Great pix, great hobby and a great service to all historians. It's not only the buses you capture but the surrounding scenes as well, and that info can be invaluable to those who come along well after you've gone. Keep up the good work. Here's one of my faves....it was posted a long time ago by a member called Happy Dog.
          Thanks for the comments and great picture. Normally from that era you only see tram shots so it is always great to see bus pictures of that vintage.

For the latest look back I have decided to pick the number 10, one of the more famous routes in Dublin, and one I have another connection to through UCD. The last day of the 10 was the 30th October 2010 and I was out on the final day to record the route. I also have some older pictures in the update too:

VG 3 and AW 10 are seen on the last day in Belfield:

VG 3 & AW 10 Belfield 30 10 10 (3) by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

Going through some other shots of the 10 I have, I found some relevant shots, including:
          AV 368 on Dawson Street on a snowy day with a 10 to Phoenix Park:

AV 368 Dawson Street 05 02 09 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

D 519 on O'Connell Street on the 30th March 1993:

Scan: D 519 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

RH 120 on O'Connell Street on 14th March 1992:

Scan: RH 120 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

And RH 31, the current 'Molly 2' on O'Connell Street on 15th September 1990:

Scan: RH 31 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

Some more older shots of the 10 can be found here:

Enjoy!

Comment

You're capturing a great bit of history for the future Csalem fair play

Comment

I agree JG, terrific pics . Thank you Csalem

Comment

CSalem....lovely thread.....love the one with the snow....
                It is what it is.

Comment

Loving this thread. Hoping to see the old 23 at Ballybough or Summerhill sometime when time permits.
                  'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

I certainly intend to cover the 123 this year at some point and will put up any old shots I have of the 123 as well as the 23. Not sure how many pictures I have of the 23 in my collection.

All of the scanned pictures come from my father's collection taken from the early 1980s to about 2008 or so when he moved onto digital. On my trips I try to find a picture taken by my father and recreate it with a current bus, adopting a past and present approach, as well as at the same time showing the different areas covered by the bus route. The aim therefore is to show not only the changes to the buses and routes but also to the city to some degree. So I am glad to read the comments here which show this approach seems to be working. Thanks.

Comment

Lovely thread Csalem...thanks for sharing with us...my favourite bus was the old 54...

Comment

on the old 54 to killester
                        where I first my mot, she's called esther
                        it was on the back seat
                        oh my god!, what a treat
                        in a womanly way, god had blessed her
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Sadly I have not put up any old shots of the 54A yet as I have not covered Killester routes but the closest I can offer is Clontarf. Last March I did a trip on the 130 which was created in 1996 through the merging of the old 30 to Dollymount and 44A to Mount Prospect Avenue. 130 now goes from Abbey Street to Castle Avenue via Mount Prospect Avenue. When the route started it was part of the City Imp network but as it became too popular the minibuses were eventually replaced with the standard double-deckers.

My coverage of the 130 can be found here:

And some older shots here:

My trip last year allowed me to do this montage of shots from Mount Prospect Avenue spread over 30 years.

D 614 with a 44A on 5th July 1983:

Scan: D 614 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

ME 52 with a 130 on 4th June 1996:

Scan: ME 52 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

KD 16 with a 44A on 4th June 1996:

Scan KD 16 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

AV 37 with a 130 on 20th March 2013:

P1010450 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

Comment

Great pics from Mt Prospect, C... the only change appears to be the speed bumps - which the bus in the last pic is going out of its way to avoid...
                            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

My final look-back to a trip I did last year is to the 61 and 161. The latter route is sort of where the idea for the website came from. A few years ago I saw a mention of the 161 and up to that point I never knew such a route existed. It became my goal then to travel on that route and it only took about four years for me to do it but was worth it in the end! It is nice pleasant route running from Dundrum to Rockbrook via Whitechurch. On the day I travelled on the 161 I also travelled on the 61, which is a newer routing with little connection to the old 61. The current route operates from City Centre to Whitechurch via Dundrum with some departures extended to/from Rockbrook.

The update to Off The Beaten Track can be found here:

D 271 on Townsend Street with a 61 to Churchtown. 25/01/1985:

Scan D 271 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

The new, low-floor, 61 was less than 3 weeks old before an RV strayed onto it. It was such a new route the number was not programmed onto the display and 161 was used for the evening departure to Rockbrook. 24/08/2011:

RV 596 Townsend Street 24 08 11 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

AV 390 laying-over in Townsend Street before starting from D'Olier Street with a 61 to Rockbrook. 09/08/2013:

AV 390 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

And finally, AV 86 passing The Merry Ploughboy in Rockbrook with a 161. 16/08/2013:

AV 86 Rockbrook 16/08/13 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

Next week I hope to start the 'live' updates to the website for 2014.

Comment

Used to get the 40 from Finglas into Eden quay, the walk across the bridge into D' Olier street for the 83 out to my granny's in Kimmage, as we called it then!

Comment

Working...
                                X