• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don’t eat Kennedy’s bread
    It sticks to your belly like lead
    You fart like thunder
    Your mother doesn’t wonder
    So don’t eat Kennedy’s bread.

My wife’s granddad was a baker in Kennedy’s.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post

Could it be College Green with the car turning into St Andrew street...A few Banks along there If I remember...
      Good read Quinner.
      Maybe even turning into Church Lane.

Comment

• The Guinness barge going under the Halfpenny Bridge.
        I used to love watching them lower the stack as they went under O'Connell & Butt bridges.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by ob1kenobi.23 View Post
          The Guinness barge going under the Halfpenny Bridge.
          I used to love watching them lower the stack as they went under O'Connell & Butt bridges.
          The barges might be making a comeback. Apparently three quarters of HGV vehicles that go down the quays every day come from Guinness, and the Corpo are going to ban them from next August.

Comment

The Guinness barge going under the Halfpenny Bridge.
            That reminds me of a story I was told by a drinking friend of mine years ago, he worked on the Guinness boats and him and another guy were told to work on a boat that was going to the Shannon. When they arrived that morning the captain wasn’t around so one of them went to the shops to get some supplies and the other one my friend was in charge of the bucket. Well the bucket was a special one that had a hook on it and they used to fill it with bottles of Guinness and let it down under the water to keep it cool for drinking on the journey. He was lowering the bucket down when it fell off the hook so he was diving under the water to retrieve the bucket and along came the Captain and he said what sort of crew did they send me one is gone missing and the other one is trying to commit suicide. Many the stories Larry told us about his adventures on the Guinness boats

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post

The barges might be making a comeback. Apparently three quarters of HGV vehicles that go down the quays every day come from Guinness, and the Corpo are going to ban them from next August.
              Are they still exporting Guinness?
              I thought they were brewing abroad in the markets they supply.

Comment

Are they still exporting Guinness?
                I thought they were brewing abroad in the markets they supply.
                They have a few breweries around the world but the majority is brewed in Dublin. The UK Guinness brewery moved back to Dublin a few years ago.

Comment

• It used to be said that the best Guinness was brewed in Dublin. I remember my mother making some comment about the canal water being better here than in Park Royal. I presume it was a joke

Comment

• Thanks to all who shared photos I have had a Dublin history lesson scrolling this in the last couple of days,

Comment

Working...
                    X