• Show
Clear All

• 42 Upper Sackville Street.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Meath Street.
      Great pickie DT. Do you see that turning at the Butchers, well if you went up there would you end up in Francis St.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
        Great pickie DT. Do you see that turning at the Butchers, well if you went up there would you end up in Francis St.
        Ahh yes indeed...I was gonna check me map cos I drove past that butchers last time but one I was with my Sis from the US...but I think it's gone now...As I came tothe junction with her in the car all the butchers came to the window blowing kisses at her lol....she was morto lol.
        Nudder here from 1983.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ahh yes indeed...I was gonna check me map cos I drove past that butchers last time but one I was with my Sis from the US...but I think it's gone now...As I came tothe junction with her in the car all the butchers came to the window blowing kisses at her lol....she was morto lol.
          Nudder here from 1983.
          I remember a woman I used to work with told she used to go the Bullring to buy material to make curtains.

Comment

• Dub tenements....the ironwork is distinctive...but where is/was it ?.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Forgotten where this one was...had it and lost it. Any ideas (JD?). Or is it Joseph's Lane in Whitelaw's report ?.

Reverend Whitelaw recounted his first impression of those who lived and suffered in an environment of human hopelessness; "Into the backyard of each house, frequently not ten feet deep, is flung, from the windows of each apartment, the ordure and other filth of its numerous inhabitants; from whence it is so seldom removed, that I have seen it nearly on a level with the windows of the first floor; and the moisture that, after heavy rains, oozes from this heap, having frequently no sewer to carry it off, runs into the street, by the entry leading to the staircase. When I attempted to take the population of a ruinous house in Josephs Lane, near Castlemarket, I was interrupted in my progress, by an inundation of putrid blood, alive with maggots, which had, from an adjacent slaughter-house, burst the back-door, and filled the hall to the depth of several inches. By the help of a plank, and some stepping stones, which I procured to the purpose (for the inhabitants, without any concern, waded through it), I reached the staircase. It had rained violently, and, from the shattered state of the roof, a torrent of water made its way through every floor, from the garret to the ground. The shallow looks, and filth of the wretches, who crowded round me, indicated their situation, though they seemed insensible to the stench, which I could scarce sustain for a few minutes.
              " Listen to Whitelaw's commentary below.
              Eliza Somers, mother of the bushranger Ben Hall was born into the slums of Dublin Ireland and was transported to Australia in 1830. Rev Whitelaw describes those such as Eliza who lived in a condition
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Forgotten where this one was...had it and lost it. Any ideas (JD?). Or is it Joseph's Lane in Whitelaw's report ?.

https://soundcloud.com/user-71872657...of-dublin-1798
                It's Nerney's Court, off Temple Street, 1908.

Comment

Forgotten where this one was...had it and lost it. Any ideas (JD?). Or is it Joseph's Lane in Whitelaw's report ?.

https://soundcloud.com/user-71872657...of-dublin-1798
                  Nerneys Court off Gardiner Place and Temple Street
                  The chimney in the background is the laundry/ boiler house of the Childrens hospital

Comment

• Where we had fun hanging or bath towels...some bigger hooks than others
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
                      Nerneys Court off Gardiner Place and Temple Street
                      The chimney in the background is the laundry/ boiler house of the Children's hospital
                      Cheers JD...found it in meantime....hospital good pointer ta.
                      The original thread has been split due to its size. Super sized threads can cause database issues. 10,000 posts is the practical limit for a thread so we have split off and closed the original thread at that point. Please continue posting your photographs and comments on this thread. The original thread will remain viewable

Comment

• Nash Street Inchicore...where the Da grew up after leaving Phoenix Street The Ranch Inchicore.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dub tenements....the ironwork is distinctive...but where is/was it ?.
                          Railway Street
                          or
                          Tyrone Street lower
                          or
                          Mecklenburgh Street lower
                          -------
                          All above apply as it was first named

changed to
                          Tyrone Street lower

changed to
                          Railway Street

This street was the heart of Monto
                          Most of the brothels were lower down the street
                          The name changes were to disasociate the area from Monto

Comment

Dub tenements....the ironwork is distinctive...but where is/was it ?.
                            Thanks JD I did wonder where it was. I guessed it might be north side, but was not sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                              Thanks JD I did wonder where it was. I guessed it might be north side, but was not sure
                              Vico
                              Here is a photo of the same street
                              The photographer would have been standing near the middle hall doorway in DTW's photo
                              ( on the footpath)
                              The cobblestones bottom left are the entrance to the archway in DTW's photo

The windows facing you in the four storied buildings are in Lr. Gardiner street
                              also
                              the background street straight ahead was Waterford Street
                              ( this led to Marlborough St.)

This too was due to a change of name
                              from
                              Upper Mecklenburgh and Upper Tyrone street to Waterford St.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
                                Railway Street
                                or
                                Tyrone Street lower
                                or
                                -------
                                All above apply as it was first named

changed to
                                Tyrone Street lower

changed to
                                Railway Street

This street was the heart of Monto
                                Most of the brothels were lower down the street
                                The name changes were to dissociate the area from Monto
                                Well done dat man

Comment

Working...
                                X