Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cogito View Post
    The habits of 800 years...
    LOL.....The ''english'' called those the French for a few hundred years......

They certainly took more land of the English than they did off the Irish....The last big land grab was in the middle 1800's when they acquired much of the ''Common land'....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      LOL.....The ''english'' called those the French for a few hundred years......

They certainly took more land of the English than they did off the Irish....The last big land grab was in the middle 1800's when they acquired much of the ''Common land'....
      Are 'those' the Normans ? Henry II, King of England, took Dublin and a few other towns on the east coast - his successors took the rest over succeeding centuries.

We speak English on this forum and all over this island - not Gaelic or French.

There's your proof...
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Are 'those' the Normans ? Henry II, King of England, took Dublin and a few other towns on the east coast - his successors took the rest over succeeding centuries.

We speak English on this forum and all over this island - not Gaelic or French.

There's your proof...
        The English called those wallahs French.....Wrongly of course as they were not French, they just spoke the language.....They were Normans.....

Just as the Ulster Scots were not and are not English....

Comment

I'm a bit Norman, my paternal grandmother was called Burke which is from the Norman de Burgha which means "of the hill." There was a de Burgha who I think was married to William the Conqueror's daughter or something like that. I like to think he was my ancestor but then again there were probably a lot of hills in Normandy......could have been just a common or garden Burke.......

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
            I'm a bit Norman, my paternal grandmother was called Burke which is from the Norman de Burgha which means "of the hill." There was a de Burgha who I think was married to William the Conqueror's daughter or something like that. I like to think he was my ancestor but then again there were probably a lot of hills in Normandy......could have been just a common or garden Burke.......
            Jimmy Hill was there once....

Comment

Jimmy Hill was there once....
              i don't think he's a relative

Comment

i don't think he's a relative
                I don't think he was a Beaumont.....

Comment

got that wrong, William de Burgh married the King of Thomond's daughter.

Comment

got that wrong, William de Burgh married the King of Thomond's daughter.
                    Were you invited to the wedding...?

Comment

Were you invited to the wedding...?
                      I was, top table 'n' all......had a great time feasting and merry-making, probably drank a bit too much Norman plonk. Minstrels were jolly good, though.

Comment

I was, top table 'n' all......had a great time feasting and merry-making, probably drank a bit too much Norman plonk. Minstrels were jolly good, though.
                        Great, was the bodysnatcher there with his mate...

Comment

Great, was the bodysnatcher there with his mate...
                          He's the black sheep of the family, wasn't invited.

Comment

He's the black sheep of the family, wasn't invited.
                            Now what about all these English who are supposed to have invaded Ireland 800 years ago and are supposed to have took over the whole of Ireland....

Then what about all the Irish there who were supposed to have been ruled for 800 years by those very English.....

Don't mention the Irish invasion of England in the tenth century....

Comment

Now what about all these English who are supposed to have invaded Ireland 800 years ago and are supposed to have took over the whole of Ireland....

Then what about all the Irish there who were supposed to have been ruled for 800 years by those very English.....

Don't mention the Irish invasion of England in the tenth century....
                              we've gone way off-topic here......but I think early Irish history definitely deserves a thread in its own right.......all about the Chiefdoms, the raids on England you mention, the Viking invasions and then Strongbow and the Normans etc., all interesting stuff. I'm busy with my thread but maybe you could start one?

Comment

we've gone way off-topic here......but I think early Irish history definitely deserves a thread in its own right.......all about the Chiefdoms, the raids on England you mention, the Viking invasions and then Strongbow and the Normans etc., all interesting stuff.
                                I don't need a thread as I have studied the History....Though maybe as it was in the 60's I may need a few refreshers for certain times......

''The raids''....lol what I referred to was more than a raid.....

Don't forget though that the UK is not entirely inhabited by the ''English''.....That may help some people.....

It is the truth as far as we know it that matters......None of those useless historical guesses or whodunnits..

Comment

Working...
                                X