No announcement yet.

The Tenements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent my childhood in a tenement in Blackhall Place.While it was a bad way to live,I have some very happy memories of those days.We played games,we didn't need money,except of course for the pictures,my heros were Gene Autry,Roy Rogers,Durango Kid etc.I spent many a Sunday watching my heros in my locals,the feeno and the broadway.When not at the pics we played cowboys and indians,chasing,relieveio and even joined in the girls games,skipping and piggy.I never said 'Im bored' when I was a kid,there was too much to do.If the weather was bad we played on the landing,cards[for buttons] snakes and ladders,ludo,draughs,lots more I cant think of at the minute.The pawn office played a part in our lives too.In our case it was Kearns in Queen St,believe it or not its still there.The Broadway closed in 1956,the Phoenix made it to 1960 but we left in '57.For some years after I kept going back and thats a practice I follow today,I was up there only yesterday,so I must have happy memories to keep going back.The house has disappeared without a trace but the oul yard attached to it is still there,all railed off now and locked up.The 'chipper' was there up to a few years back but that has gone too.Loved Fridays,thank God for no meat on Fridays,it meant fish and chips,yum,they [the church] were doing us a favour with the no meat rule.That the way I remember the tenement life and I am glad to have been part of it,makes me appreciate what I have today.

Comment

I love this thread ...My Parents were lucky in that they were a little better off then some whilst growing up My Mam's parent's owned a little sweetshop on the North Strand but lost everything when the area was bombed and My Dad's Mam lost her husband during the 1st world war he was a soldier in The British army who never returned but she was granted a widow's pension she lived in Erne terrace Westland Row I still remember all the story's told to us by my friend's in Cabra West re how their parents had such hard times

Comment

i was born in alinham buildings just off cork st,think we move out to crumlin when i was about six years old, my father allways talked about the place,even in later life,about the great people that live there,it was only years later he was telling us that his grand mother had a shop at the end of cork st,and his mother use to sell fruit and vegs , my brothers and myself over the years use to push her cart up and down cork st every sat morning,does anybody remember paddy whelan bike shop in cork st.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
          Anyone watching 'The Tenements' currently being shown on TV3.

I lived in a tenement until about age 12 and so far the program leaves me wondering what others think of it.

If you've been watching it perhaps you'd share your thoughts.
          hi rashers, i seen one of the shows when i was back home,how many shows did they make,,and can you buy it on dvd.

Comment

Great stories,please keep them coming!

Comment

great memories guys.....of a time when i think children were far more innocent...but then the fact that ireland at the time would have been regarded as a 3rd world country by todays standards...i was raised in this time too...and we are probably the last generation of dubliners that will remember it..

i remember monday and friday being pawn days...mondays the stuff went in...friday it came out..thats just how it was and we never questioned it....our mothers seemed to have eyes in their bums they saw everything and knew everything.....so ya had to go to a lota trouble to get up to mischief...nothing got wasted....and nothing got bought unless it was needed...small things gave great pleasure..i remember running home at 5 every day to sit under the table and listen to a kids show on the RADIO....something about a potato lol..me ma would be cooking dinner and setting the table i remember feeling so happy..

swing on to 2011.......today little 4 year old drama queen runs in from school....going ..nana nana wheres the ipad i want to find a special website on it i can make pokemon cards on....and will granddad move off his computer so i can print them..???? and im going..jazus when did 4 year olds get this smart.....but its a different time.....we didnt have tv till i was 12, my mother never used her fridge she didnt believe in them lol.....and she never had a washing machine she swore up and down they wore clothes out......

but the burning question is.....who was happier....the kids then or the kids now...id say its about the same lol...kids are kids.. what do you think

Comment

can anyone tell me where charles street west is/was. thank you.
                in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                  Down Wintavern St over the bridge turn right on to Ormond Quay take the first left and you are on Charles St W or used to be in my day.
                  Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

thanks boxy...i had an idea thats where it was [i have it on an old map ,but just says charles st] ...but was getting confused when someone mentioned north great charles st.

Comment

Hi Cosmo , if its Nth Grt Charles St that you are after ...its near Summerhill , if you walk along the Nth Circular Road from Dorset St its about 1/4 mile down on the left I believe

Comment

thanks deirdre, just crossed posts. no ,its the one boxy mentioned, just doesn`t say 'west' on the old map i looked at. [its my grandparents old address]. should know the area better myself, it was a local haunt for me.

Comment

thanks deirdre, just crossed posts. no ,its the one boxy mentioned, just doesn`t say 'west' on the old map i looked at. [its my grandparents old address]. should know the area better myself, it was a local haunt for me.
                          Cheer's Cosmo , are you meeting up with any off the forumers when your'e over ...Hope that you have a great time ...

Comment

thanks deirdre,

i havn`t made any arraingements at the minute, i put up notice quite a while ago when the wife made the bookings ,in jan would you beleive, nobody responded [fair enough] and then kevin put his name forward just after, so i didn`t want to push people into two meets in a coupla weeks, i have loose arraingements with dtw and tommy for an afternoon drink and chat as i`ll be in london for a few days visiting my three sisters[also a few days in gay paris]. i did intend to get in touch with a few forumers who will drink at the drop of a hat. ..no names ha ha.

Comment

thanks deirdre,

i havn`t made any arraingements at the minute, i put up notice quite a while ago when the wife made the bookings ,in jan would you beleive, nobody responded [fair enough] and then kevin put his name forward just after, so i didn`t want to push people into two meets in a coupla weeks, i have loose arraingements with dtw and tommy for an afternoon drink and chat as i`ll be in london for a few days visiting my three sisters[also a few days in gay paris]. i did intend to get in touch with a few forumers who will drink at the drop of a hat. ..no names ha ha.
                              I will try to get along if yer meetin up with Dtw and Tommie ..ye should mention it on the udder side again I know that Fitzy and some off the others will try to see you Bigby and Womble Pammy and one eye would deffo try to get a chance to meet up with you as well ...also Suzieq they are all very welcoming why not start a thread on here and on dub.ie or just pm Fitzy ..

Comment

thanks deirdre,

would love to meet cosmo, what are your dates for Dublin?

I am not one of them forumers that would drink at the drop of a hat though rofl

Comment

Working...
                                X