Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old IRA pension archives.

Originally posted by cogito View Post
    I had another look at some of the Witness Statements in more depth again... including Charlie Dalton's, Joe Dolan's, Ben Byrne's, Pat McCrae's and Frank Saurin's.

Firstly, for the majority of The Squad's operations they were accompanied by an Intelligence Officer from GHQ Intelligence section - their job was to confirm the targeted person for the Squad members having tracked and studied the persons movements for weeks and months before. They were similarly armed too and frequently got involved in the action. The IOs and Squad members were also familiar to each other.

In the case of Charlie Dalton - he appears to have been involved with both. In his own words he was 'associated' with The Squad initially before he joined the GHQ Intelligence Section full time in February 1920 at Dick McKee's request. His description in the header of his Witness Statement as being a member of the 'Intelligence Squad' during 1920-21 is probably what leads most of us to call him a Squad member - in reality he was an IO for the majority of the events he's associated with.

Incidentally, looking again through the records Charlie Byrne's name has come up a number of times as an intelligence staff member based out of Crow Street.

Bottom line is who did the individuals report to... Dalton identifies GHQ Intelligence staff as follows;

Director of Intelligence ... Michael Collins
    Deputy D.I. .................... Liam Tobin
    Assistant D.I. ................. Tom Cullen

Staff...

Frank Thornton
    Joe Dolan
    Frank Saurin
    Charlie Dalton
    Charlie Byrne
    Peter McGee
    Dan McDonnell
    Ned Kellegher
    James Hughes
    Con O'Neill
    Bob O'Neill
    Jack Walsh
    Paddy Kennedy
    Joe Guilfoyle
    Paddy Caldwell

Don't think we're finished yet...
    Above posted in April 2013...

Came across this tonight from the A Company 1st Battalion, Dublin Brigade IRA pensions records in 1935 - I'm guessing Dan McDonald is the McDonnell listed above ?

ACoy-1st battalion.jpg

Note Charlie Byrne and Joe Dolan on the list... at least we know they got their pensions.
    Last edited by cogito; 18-01-2016, 01:37 AM.
    Everything is self-evident.

Above posted in April 2013...

Came across this tonight from the A Company 1st Battalion, Dublin Brigade IRA pensions records in 1935 - I'm guessing Dan McDonald is the McDonnell listed above ?

[ATTACH]63491[/ATTACH]

Note Charlie Byrne and Joe Dolan on the list... at least we know they got their pensions.
    Indeed....and not forgetting The Count and Joe Dolan....
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

?????

Comment

?????
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          Indeed... and from the same post...

Comment

Indeed... and from the same post...
            Ahh ye wor hidin dat down de bottom te catch me ouh eh..... Well oul Joe got more than his pensh and should have been ashamed of himself taking a pensh if he ever did.........

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
              Ahh ye wor hidin dat down de bottom te catch me ouh eh.....
              Yep... it worked.

The pension records are a mine of information... but hard going.

Comment

Yep... it worked.The pension records are a mine of information... but hard going.
                lol. Yes I'd imagine there's all sorts of info inc some very interesting letters of support from the big hitters, I must admit I haven'e as much as looked in thus far.

Comment

How can I find out if my granddad got his pension ?
                  his name was Laurence Nugent, Lieutenant 'K' Company, 3rd Battalion,
                  Dublin Brigade.
                  During that time he lived at 22 Upper Mount Street.where the bulletin was
                  printed, I know it was moved around a lot.
                  I've read his witness Statement a couple of times but I can only come to the conclusion he was in Intelligence, does this mean he was part of the Squad ?
                  I hope it's ok to post this here ? if not sorry.
                  If anyone can help in some way I would be very grateful.
                  You got to have a twinkle in your wrinkle.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret Nugent Newman View Post
                    Dublin Brigade.
                    I've read his witness Statement a couple of times but I can only come to the conclusion he was in Intelligence, does this mean he was part of the Squad ?
                    Just did a search, but although there are Nugent's listed....no Laurence. Open this link to see yourself M =

Comment

WOW, Thanks Noel, I will have a look in a min, you are a star...
                      This granddad is driving me mad....
                      M.
                      You got to have a twinkle in your wrinkle.

Comment

How many you think got pensions and didnt deserve or were not entitled to them them?

Comment

Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                          How many you think got pensions and didnt deserve or were not entitled to them them?
                          Well now yer talkin....none of the anti treaty eejitz should have got a penny till they paid back for the wanton destruction they caused all over the country.....and for what....that feckin eejit Dev followed Collins ideas in the end.....what a gobshite he was.

Comment

Dublin Brigade.
                            His name was submitted to the Pensions Board in 1934 - listed as Assistant Quartermaster in 3rd Battalion Staff in the roll call made in at the time of the Truce in July 1921 - though curiously he gets no mention from any source in the second roll made in June 1922 at the outset of the Civil War - even though his Witness Statement says he held the same position then.

nugent.jpg

It took me three hours to read his Witness Statement - and though he met Collins on numerous occasions - I didn't come cross anything to suggest he was part of the Squad or ever took part in any of their operations.

Comment

WOW, Thanks Noel, I will have a look in a min, you are a star...This granddad is driving me mad....M.
                              I noted on Teresa's (Laurence's wife) application for pensh it says Husbands Claims, for some reason.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X