Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe

Rathmines is getting another shop very soon with the opening of another

branch of this British "multiple " Actually I think it's a franchise type of store.

Mr.Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe is opening shortly beside the old fire station.

Mr.Simms say they bring back childhood memories (At today's prices I bet )

Kavanagh's in Aungier Street have been selling these type of sweets forever.

I'm sure their hard boiled sweets & gob stoppers are cheaper than Mr.Simms.

Have not been there for many years so maybe I'm not correct about that ?

It must be where Shanahans shop used to be?
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

You may be correct about Shanahans.What did they sell,was it Bicycles and

Prams ? Can't remember back then but the most recent business operating

there was Postnet which was beside Porta-Via.I do remember Yvonnes Sweet

Shop near The Stella selling a great variety of hard boiled sweets.I seem to

recall they also sold Jewellery and Watches. Very strange mix of merchandise

in the same store.Rathmines has changed quite a lot over the recent years.

Comment

There used to be a shop in the mid 50's to late 60's next to the Fire Station which sold sweets, cigs, stationary, ornaments etc. It was called Keegans. Does anyone remember it?

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
          You may be correct about Shanahans.What did they sell,was it Bicycles and

Prams ? Can't remember back then but the most recent business operating

there was Postnet which was beside Porta-Via.I do remember Yvonnes Sweet

Shop near The Stella selling a great variety of hard boiled sweets.I seem to

recall they also sold Jewellery and Watches. Very strange mix of merchandise

in the same store.Rathmines has changed quite a lot over the recent years.
          Shanahans sold electrical material....Radio's / Record Players / Toasters ..etc
          I was never out of Yvonnes....it also sold....toy soldiers & model airplanes
          The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
            There used to be a shop in the mid 50's to late 60's next to the Fire Station which sold sweets, cigs, stationary, ornaments etc. It was called Keegans. Does anyone remember it?
            I think that shop called Keegans you mentioned was the other side of the

Fire Station and is now a coffee shop called Cafe Moda.Then to the right of

this cafe is Toast Cafe Bar which was originally a pub called O'Dwyers.

Comment

I think that shop called Keegans you mentioned was the other side of the

Fire Station and is now a coffee shop called Cafe Moda.Then to the right of

this cafe is Toast Cafe Bar which was originally a pub called O'Dwyers.
              If you facing the Fire station the shop was to the left of it

Comment

On mature recollection if there's such a thing I may have got this all wrong.

I'll start again.Looking at The Fire Station from Rathmines Library on the left

is Mr. Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe.Perhaps this could have been Keegan's ?

On the right is Cafe Moda.I think this may have been Shanahan's ?

Over to you guys to figure all this out.I'm still not quite sure of all of this.

Mr.Simms has not opened yet.Actually I did'nt pass today so they could have.

They'll have great competetion from the Euro 2 store recently opened.
                Last edited by camden; 13-04-2012, 01:16 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=camden;164775]On mature recollection if there's such a thing I may have got this all wrong.

I'll start again.Looking at The Fire Station from Rathmines Library on the left

is Mr. Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe.Perhaps this could have been Keegan's ?

QUOTE]

sounds like ye could be right Camden! Tell ya what...will have to take a drive over that way and have a look and maybe we will all meet for a coffee in the place on the right lol????

Comment

Passed through Rathmines yesterday Sat.21st.July 2012 and this shop which is called " Chocolates & Treats " was closed.I stopped there this evening

Sunday 22nd.and the shutters were down and the shelves were empty.Not sure what's happened.Just thinking a lot of their customers (school children ) would

be on summer holidays.I don't think there's much business just selling expensive sweets.I do hope for the sake of the owners I'm wrong and they'll open again.

Comment

Passed through Rathmines yesterday Sat.21st.July 2012 and this shop which is called " Chocolates & Treats " was closed.I stopped there this evening

Sunday 22nd.and the shutters were down and the shelves were empty.Not sure what's happened.Just thinking a lot of their customers (school children ) would

be on summer holidays.I don't think there's much business just selling expensive sweets.I do hope for the sake of the owners I'm wrong and they'll open again.
                      Drove through O'Connell Street tonight 26th.July and the other branch of this store seems to have closed too.They did'nt stay open very long.I'm sure they

were paying very high rents and that and the very high Rates,Insurance etc. really make it very difficult for small traders to survive in these very tough times.
                      Last edited by camden; 26-07-2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X