Dublinforum.net - Forum  

Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Dublin Areas > Crumlin - Kimmage - Walkinstown

Old 30-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Ah Cosmos they look so alike in reality Both resemble their Late Mother I have a photo of her Mother here somewhere and they are so alike. Only slight difference was Eithne had fair hair,

It changed our lives Cosmos in so far that up to then tragedy only affected other people and we quite happily saw sons and fathers go off with the rolled up towels and never worried about them.

James could swim on that day nobody will ever know what happened the fact that they clung to each other certainly stopped them of having any hope of saving themselves.

When we heard the sad news we all made our way to the home all uncles aunts cousins there were no words that could dispel the gloom.

Then seeing him buried with my Grandmother my grandfather was still alive at the time was dreadful. The Graveyard was completely overgrown and eerie and the last place you would like to visit.

It certainly affected us all and we did learn that life cannot be taken for granted,

It was great for Eithne to come home and make an appointment to see the grave and she was so amazed at the wonderful changes It was hard to imagine the dreary graveyard that once frightened the shite out of us.

Even though it was not the canal Cosmos they had to use gavelling irons to find the bodies. Thankfully we do not see kids swimming in canals or pools any more they all tend to use organized swimming pools
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 30-08-2017, 12:36 PM

Photo of my aunt at a Crumlin wedding Cosmos she is first to your left of the screen. Now look at the photo of James and you will see the resemblence

This wedding was in the late thirties his mam would have been about eighteen here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19575332_730017167177855_3160962553537843409_oanne.jpg (178.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 30-08-2017, 01:38 PM

another crumlin wedding, my wifes parents on their wedding day in monasterboyce rd [spell] don`t know the date maybe late 30s early 40s, her maiden name was mahon........ I had another look at the picture of the boys last night and I could see eithine in the lads face .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4497.jpg (186.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 30-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Lovely photo Cosmos Great to look back on. I knew so many from Monsterboice when I was at school I knew Flynns and Delmars etc but many names have escaped from my brain

Weddings were so different then, Usually in the house and starting early in the morning and ending up in a great hooley I loved to go to those weddings but I missed them because I was too young, I did at seventeen attend one and it was great, A young Ronnie Drew turned up for it He was just beginning to become known I still remember the great fun it was

Last edited by joan mack; 02-09-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:23 PM

My Brother and his friend sitting on the railings on Downpatrick road my brother is to the right of your screen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment1I7NGK20.jpg (73.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by joan mack; 10-09-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam View Post
hi anybody know the Byrnes of Monsterboice road .they were boxers ,Ollie and Peter and sister Lillie
I remember Ollie but I didn't know that Lillie boxed
Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasher View Post
I remember Ollie but I didn't know that Lillie boxed
"So tell me champ, did you ever fight a broad. On second thoughts, don't answer that". Anyone remember that recording?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=joan mack;452445]My Brother and his friend sitting on the railings on Downpatrick road my brother is to the right of your screen[/QUOTE

He is taking a awkward stance on that railings, Joan, ha ha
Old 13-09-2017, 12:12 AM

Yes Raphael all six foot two of him looked so funny. I bet he did not stay there for long. Not a lot of photos taken in them times very few cameras around.

Now they are everywhere.

Like you Raphael my brother is a keen hiker and mountain walker here is now much older and I hope wiser, This was taken recently
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rope bridge.jpg (199.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 18-10-2017, 12:42 PM

Lovely photo of CBS Crumlin some of the members here are in it but for the sake of their privacy I will not name them. But I have to Thank Nemmy for the photo lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (99.2 KB, 0 views)