Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Dublin Areas > Inchicore

Old 26-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Past pupil here anybody got any photos of the teachers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Cahill View Post
Past pupil here anybody got any photos of the teachers
have some of Joey ,mr Sweeny and mr Garry somewhere , there's a reunion next thursday and I will try dig them out by then , hope to see some ex-class mates there
Old 04-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Silent Poster

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
History

The history of our school is very much linked with the history of the locality and particularly with that of the Inchicore Railway. The establishment of the school was a direct response to the needs of the area at the time. It was built on the site of what was the Cow and Calf Inn. Let’s journey back a little in time!
Great info there Fitzer....very informative indee

Quote:
The year is 1729. An Act of Parliament in this year established Ireland’s first turnpike or toll road. It went from James’ Street through Kilmainham and Inchicore, past the Cow and Calf Inn to Kilcullen, County Kildare.
Perhaps the most famous pupil, from Phoenix Street, was the poet Thomas Kinsella, born in 1928, who received his Primary Education at “The Model” from 1932 until 1940. Mr. Kinsella is especially noted for his translation of the Irish epic, the “TŠin”, or “Cattle Raid of Cooley”, the oldest Epic Tale in Western Europe.
Often wondered why me Great Great Granda made his way from Kilcullen to Dublin....it was obviously for work....but never knew about the road.....I suppose get on it and keep walkin....eventually yer there.

The folks from Kilcullen lived at a place called Air Mount near the Jail, and later in Abercorn Tcr...where Peadar Doyle (future Lord Mayor 1941–43 and from 1945–46, lodged with them and met his future wife my Grand aunt Kathleen.......later one of the sons (me Granda) met a girl from Phoenix Street (The Ranch) they married and moved into a house in the Ranch, not far from her parents place where she grew up, and were neighbours of Kinsella......my Da grew up in the Ranch until they moved to two address in turn in Ring Street, then to Nash Street and finally to No 2 Ring Terrace....where the last was to leave in the mid 70's.

All had worked in the CIE Works. All had attended the Model School.....all have sung in the church choir, with one being head organist for over 26 years. All played football, with my Da, playing for Inchicore, St Pat's and the Nugget Boot Polish Company. They played down by the liffey, in the Ranch, and the da told me they always had a lad on standby in swimming togs to go get the ball when it went into the River.

Another was in F Coy Irish Volunteers with Peadar, Con and Michael M....On one Tan raid they hid down a sewer and the metal cover was replaced, until the coast was clear. They trained in the Brickworks.

Con Colberts bayonet was given to the Granda as a keepsake before he went to the firing squad, it's still in the family to this day.

Quote:
Inchicore Kilmainham and District by Seosamh ” Broin
A lifetimes work and a must have for any Inchicoreite interested in the history of. The book is now out of print but copies can be fornd on Amazon Books for around £50 as it's now a collectors item. Seosamh is a gentleman indeed, well into his eighties now, we talk regularly on the phone, and I am proud to be able to call him a friend. He is currently though slowly working on Part 2, which will be a photo history of Inchicore when completed.

Pic 2. Thomas Kinsella (True) Poet, Phoenix Street The Ranch Inchicore.
Pic 3. Alderman Peadar Doyle Lord mayor X 2.
Pic 4. Granda and Granny, Phoenix Street The Ranch, Inchicore, Wedding Day
Pic 5. Kathleen Coleman Doyle, my Granda's sister and my Grand Aunt....Ald Peadar Doyle's first wife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inchicore Kilmainham and District by Seosamh O'Broin.JPG (179.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Thomas Kinsella Inchicore Poet.jpg (81.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ald Peadar Doyle TD.jpg (95.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3656 (1).jpg (100.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Kathleen Doyle.jpg (77.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 04-05-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 16-05-2014, 02:14 PM

thanks DTW Seosamh ” Broin lives a few doors down from my sister , they speak most days and with my sister and her family been Irish speakers they converse in Irish , his book is a must have for anyone interested in Inchicore / Kilmainham , I got mine in Bols chemist a few years ago may dropped into Seosamh ” Broin one day and he signed it for me , hope he brings out his second book soon
Old 27-08-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
took an old photo album down frommy attic and found this picture of most of the class's 1968/69ish ,
reggies brother, tigers brother , LAGREF AND STEEVO and a few other posters from here and .ie should be in it
Some of the front row is the 1st class, 1969. I should be in it but can't quite be sure if I'm there! Some of the names are; Mark Daly (dickie bow), Pat Kinsella, Christy (Git) O Toole. Robbie Burns, David (Chicken) Stewart, Jerome Hurley, Dickie O Donoghue, Alan Fagan and Lar Duffy.

Last edited by Scriobh; 27-08-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 27-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Silent Poster

Quote:
thanks DTW Seosamh ” Broin lives a few doors down from my sister , they speak most days and with my sister and her family been Irish speakers they converse in Irish , his book is a must have for anyone interested in Inchicore / Kilmainham , I got mine in Bols chemist a few years ago may dropped into Seosamh ” Broin one day and he signed it for me , hope he brings out his second book soon
Just saw this post Fitzer....last time I was home, met up with Seosamh and we took a history walk around Inchicore, at the end of it I dropped into Boles and asked if I could take a pic of the shop.....Mr B said OK but didn't stay to be in the pic.... but someone else got him in the past....the shop is like a timewharp inside, not a lot has changed since the 30's at least.

S signed the copy of the book I have for a cousin of mine a long time ago, he gave it to my Da who passed it onto me before he died....a great read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boles 3.jpg (33.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Boles2.jpg (88.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
Just saw this post Fitzer....last time I was home, met up with Seosamh and we took a history walk around Inchicore, at the end of it I dropped into Boles and asked if I could take a pic of the shop.....Mr B said OK but didn't stay to be in the pic.... but someone else got him in the past....the shop is like a timewharp inside, not a lot has changed since the 30's at least.

S signed the copy of the book I have for a cousin of mine a long time ago, he gave it to my Da who passed it onto me before he died....a great read.
If I remember correctly,there used to be a A C Boles Chemist in Dolphins Barn Opposite the old Leinster movie house.Was this the same family?
Old 05-03-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
have some of Joey ,mr Sweeny and mr Garry somewhere , there's a reunion next thursday and I will try dig them out by then , hope to see some ex-class mates there
Think I started in the Oblates 1959 and left in 1967 or 68. I had Mr McKnight most of my time there. Had Joey sometimes always had me singing a tune called Sweet Afton.
Old 27-08-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Cahill View Post
Think I started in the Oblates 1959 and left in 1967 or 68. I had Mr McKnight most of my time there. Had Joey sometimes always had me singing a tune called Sweet Afton.
I had Joey in 75/6. Sweet Afton was a song I remember well from class. He used to send us to the factories behind Jamestown Rd looking for round wooden wheels for an invention he was working on.