Pubs opposite and adjacent Honey pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
    Formerly Killanes (the aforementioned Glasgow Inn).
    fer feck sake 'Dey Glass Go In" faf lmao.....
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
      I knew a few from Joseph's Mansions, one of them was a dealer in Parnell Street just down a bit from Corchran's shoe shop.

I wonder if your dad went to Rutland St school.

By the way, your Dad might remember the Green Kilt better by it's old name of Cribban's. He might remember a well loved local that played the piano in the pubs, Dickie Doran from Summerhill.

The dealer name was Kathleen Dean

Comment

Wasn't there a pub on the other corner called the Hamlet'.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
          Wasn't there a pub on the other corner called the Hamlet'.
          Yep, formerly (in my drinking years) known as The Rose Bowl, owned by Christy Dooley.

Before that it was known as Cassidy's back through the War of Independence. I have a photo somewhere (may be in the old b&w photos of Dublin) of British soldiers erecting a knife rest (barbed wire) checkpoint on the road outside of that pub, on the corner of Summerhill and Mid Gardiner Street.

Facing the Rose Bowl used to be another pub, the Green Kilt, formerly Cribbins.
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Ah the oul Scanlons pub Mick Scanlon and his Brother used to own it and there was another barman there called Bluer...Remember it well I Worked in Kearns Butchers next door and it was a great spot for nipping in and gettin a curer..If i remember right Mick scanlon brother was checking in the kegs in the cellar and one of them hit him on the head nearly killing him he was lucky to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Leavey View Post
              I'll ask him if he knew them. My wife's uncles occasionally drank there. They were McCanns from Josephs Mansions, Fran and Billa. Sadly both also passed away. i think the one of the barmen was called Bluer as I often heard Dad talk about him.
              One of the barmen was indeed called Bluer. Mick Scanlon (the owner) used to drop my Mam and Dad home at the end of the night as well

Comment

Working...
              X