Pubs opposite and adjacent Honey pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pubs opposite and adjacent Honey pot

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this was raised before.
    I lived in North Cumberland st from 1957 to '69 before my Dad moved us out to Coolock. He's 86 now and constantly challenging himself to remember the old days. His local boozer was Scanlons (formally Hennessy's) but he can't remember the pubs on the corner of Gardiner st/Parnell st/Summerhill.
    He remembers the Honey Pot and I found the Rose bowl mentioned in another thread. Does anyone know what the other one was? I think that there was three in total. I'm not sure if there was one beside Top in Pops.

Originally posted by Thomas Leavey View Post
    I lived in North Cumberland st from 1957 to '69 before my Dad moved us out to Coolock. He's 86 now and constantly challenging himself to remember the old days. His local boozer was Scanlons (formally Hennessy's) but he can't remember the pubs on the corner of Gardiner st/Parnell st/Summerhill.
    He remembers the Honey Pot and I found the Rose bowl mentioned in another thread. Does anyone know what the other one was? I think that there was three in total. I'm not sure if there was one beside Top in Pops.
    Hello Thomas, and welcome.

I was born, bred and buttered in Summerill, lived in Lr Gardiner St and the Diamond before moving to Coolock/Harmonstown around 1960.

In your Dad's time The pubs on the corners you mention were The Rose Bowl on the corner of Summerhill and Mid Gardiner St. Facing that at the corner of Summerhill and Lr Gardiner St was the Green Kilt. Facing the Kilt at the corner of Lr Gardiner St and Parnell St was Killanes (aka the Glasgow Inn because the glass went in every Saturday night!)

Across the road on the corner beside the vegetable shop and Farrelly's the barber there used to be a milk bar in the 50s. Many will argue that there was a pub on each corner, there wasn't. But a few doors down towards Kennedy's Bakery, facing Corchoran's show shop and Kearns pork butchers there was a pub with the name in Irish, and I hope I get the spelling right, An Cruisceen Lán.

Anything else just ask, he might also remember the fire alarm that stood at the corner of Lr Gardiner St and Summerhill. It had a pane of glass on each side and if you needed the brigade you broke the glass, and the brigade came from Buckingham St fire depot.

I could go on and on about the area, I loved it.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Evening Thomas , were these pubs on the corners at that junction ??? .

Comment

Thanks Rashers. I remember Kearns butchers and my ma had a tab with the cash and carry next door which she used to pay every Friday.He used to sell cigarettes in 3's if you were short of few bob. I also have great memories of sitting outside Hennessy's on sunny Sundays when Kilkenny were playing in Croke park. Hennessy used to draw the Kilkenny supporters, I think Mick Scanlon who bought the pub from him was from Tipp. He was good friends with my Dad.

Comment

Thanks Rashers. I remember Kearns butchers and my ma had a tab with the cash and carry next door which she used to pay every Friday.He used to sell cigarettes in 3's if you were short of few bob. I also have great memories of sitting outside Hennessy's on sunny Sundays when Kilkenny were playing in Croke park. Hennessy used to draw the Kilkenny supporters, I think Mick Scanlon who bought the pub from him was from Tipp. He was good friends with my Dad.

Two regulars I drank with in that pub, both now dead so its okay to name them, John McLoughlin, 'Sugar' Corbally.

Comment

I'll ask him if he knew them. My wife's uncles occasionally drank there. They were McCanns from Josephs Mansions, Fran and Billa. Sadly both also passed away. i think the one of the barmen was called Bluer as I often heard Dad talk about him.

Comment

I'll ask him if he knew them. My wife's uncles occasionally drank there. They were McCanns from Josephs Mansions, Fran and Billa. Sadly both also passed away. i think the one of the barmen was called Bluer as I often heard Dad talk about him.
              I knew a few from Joseph's Mansions, one of them was a dealer in Parnell Street just down a bit from Corchran's shoe shop.

I wonder if your dad went to Rutland St school.

By the way, your Dad might remember the Green Kilt better by it's old name of Cribban's. He might remember a well loved local that played the piano in the pubs, Dickie Doran from Summerhill.

Comment

No my Dad was from Bangor road in Kimmage. He was working on the buses when he got married and his conductor put him on to a room going in North Cumberland st. It was next door to Hennessys pub. A right kip. One lavatory between 3 floors but everybody was in the same boat back then. I can still smell the paraffin lamps on the landings at nighttime.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                  Hello Thomas, and welcome.

Facing the Kilt at the corner of Lr Gardiner St and Parnell St was Killanes (aka the Glasgow Inn because the glass went in every Saturday night!)
                  ffs
                  We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                    ffs
                    lol, He always said that the summerhill crowd were rough. :-)

Comment

Nah, they were all kindness personified.... they took off their shoes to kick you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                        Nah, they were all kindness personified.... they took off their shoes to kick you.
                        Well dat was nice a dem.....especially when they were all unorthodoxed karate sho dans eh.

Comment

No my Dad was from Bangor road in Kimmage. He was working on the buses when he got married and his conductor put him on to a room going in North Cumberland st. It was next door to Hennessys pub. A right kip. One lavatory between 3 floors but everybody was in the same boat back then. I can still smell the paraffin lamps on the landings at nighttime.
                          Your dad should have stayed in Crumlin where I was from,the pubs did not charge you on the bottles.They got them back through the windows lol

Comment

Here's a rough pic of The Honey Pot for ye.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                              Here's a rough pic of The Honey Pot for ye.
                              Formerly Killanes (the aforementioned Glasgow Inn).

Comment

Working...
                              X