No announcement yet.

Phibsborough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that know Phibsborough, a little quiz. Below are photos of four old Streets/Avenues etc. in Phibsboro. Can you name them. If not guessed answers in a day or so.

Comment

Is the first one on the way up to Shandon Gardens.....Leinster st I think......
      It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
        My Grandfather was from Great Western Sq, his father was an engine driver. I've been tracking them down online from census data etc. I just found the other day that my wife's Grandmother grew up a few hundred metres away, as the crow flies, in O'Connell Ave.
        Boxy I went to school with a girl from Gt Western Square.....but cant think of the name.....and one of my out-laws lived on O'Connell Ave.....Hyland..
        It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
          For those that know Phibsborough, a little quiz. Below are photos of four old Streets/Avenues etc. in Phibsboro. Can you name them. If not guessed answers in a day or so.

here is one to go with one of these
          Last edited by bigby; 23-09-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

You are on target with that photo 'bigby'.

Comment

You are on target with that photo 'bigby'.
              I will not take part in this one as I walk around all these streets on a regualar basis
              great thread, loving the photos

Comment

Answers to the above. First photo is Cabra Park, close to St. Peters Church on the Cabra Road side. Up the lane behind 'The Elmo' shop or first left off St.Peters Road.

Second is Avondale Avenue, close to St.Peters Church on the N.C.Rd. side. Left before Great Western Square.

Third is Phibsboro Avenue off the main shopping area (N.C.Rd) go left up an alley way before the Post Office. (Bigby showed a great photo of this lane) hundreds of people pass it by every day and never go into the original Phibsboro Village.

The fourth photo is of Munster Street off the Phibsboro Road going towards the Cross Guns Bridge. It joins Phibsboro Road with Ulster Street. 'Pammy' was close with Leinster Street which is the next Street down towards the Canal.

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                  I will not take part in this one as I walk around all these streets on a regualar basis
                  great thread, loving the photos
                  to much info there Bigby lol

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
                    to much info there Bigby lol
                    walk I said lol

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]The Elmo shop was a focal point for kids who lived in Cabra Park/St.Peters Road area we used to congregate in front of it during the 1950's. There was plenty of space in the Courtyard of the shop for that. Here is a repeat of the photo of the shop as it was and now as it is to-day. The courtyard has been eaten up by the shop's expansion. Locals, kids who went to St.Peters School, churchgoers in St.Peters and football fans going to Dalymount all used its facilities.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by pegasus; 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

The Cattle Market was a very big part of life for kids in Phibsboro, particularly on a Wednesday when relays of cattle were herded down the North Circular Road from the market between Prussia Street and Aughrim Street. In the Summer when we were off school we would go down to Peters Church with our small sticks and ask the drovers could we help with the cattle. To make it easy for themselves they said yes and we would help from the Church down to Berkeley Road and then run back to the Church to catch the next herd. These three photos taken many years ago will indicate what took place then. The Market has long been closed but it will always stay fresh in our minds.

PHIBSBORO 5.jpg

PHIBSBORO 3.jpg

PHIBSBORO 22.jpg

Comment

The Royal Canal was a great playground for kids from Phibsboro and indeed Cabra. When we were not playing soccer matches in the 'Middle Lane' in Cabra Park there were two areas of the Canal we used to go to. There was a veritable 'jungle' around the old freight rail line that used to service the Shandon Mills and around that area we used to run wild and free and you might as well have been in a wilderness miles from anywhere. Further down the Canal towards town we also used to play beside the walls of Mountjoy. There was a fast running little stream we used to call 'Mickey Murray's Stream' and we also spent many happy hours there. Here are two photos one of the Shandon Mills end and the other of the Mountjoy end.

Comment

Phibsborough

Answers to the above. First photo is Cabra Park, close to St. Peters Church on the Cabra Road side. Up the lane behind 'The Elmo' shop or first left off St.Peters Road.

Second is Avondale Avenue, close to St.Peters Church on the N.C.Rd. side. Left before Great Western Square.

Third is Phibsboro Avenue off the main shopping area (N.C.Rd) go left up an alley way before the Post Office. (Bigby showed a great photo of this lane) hundreds of people pass it by every day and never go into the original Phibsboro Village.

The fourth photo is of Munster Street off the Phibsboro Road going towards the Cross Guns Bridge. It joins Phibsboro Road with Ulster Street. 'Pammy' was close with Leinster Street which is the next Street down towards the Canal.
                            I spent 7 years as a postman in the 'Boro in the late sixties early seventies. I delivered the mail to all those streets. They look so different now - but I have been living in Clondalkin now for over 30 years.

Comment

Hi Spud, I lived in St.Peters Road and then Cabra Park from 1943 to 1977 so you probably delivered letters to me over the years. In the 60's particularly there were very few parked cars just look at the amount of cars in those photos which were taken very recently.

Comment

Hi Pegagus - I would have delivered those areas you mentioned in the afternoon when the post was lighter and you covered a bigger area. I walked up and down Munster St. for 7 years morning and afternoon and yet I did not recognise it til you pointed it out. I also delivered up around the Shandons. Happy days!

Comment

Working...
                                X