Wow!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    They`re right to argue about the Irish Language imo.....And its not the `mainland`
    I think Joe was referring to the European Mainland .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
      Thanks bo.....I was referring to the UK mainland......as it is often referred to in the ''North''.....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I have travelled and worked all over the UK ''Mainland'' for most of my life.......

I have stayed in hotels, guesthouses, and all sorts of digs on occasions.......I have worked with and talked to allsorts of people throughout my long and happy life.........

I have not found any evidence of a mandate for the UK to keep control over any part of Ireland....

What I have found is evidence that says 'They are stuck with it''......just as ''they have been stuck'' with the remnants of the Empire over the years......

If Northern Ireland was made part of the Republic of Ireland tomorrow.....It would not make one little bit of conversation between the ordinary people on the ''mainland of the UK''......Except maybe a curt ''Good riddance'' from the very few people who would be interested enough to make a comment....

Comment

I dined with a Dutchman a few evenings in 1990...he made regular trips to the North to inspect the iconic cranes in Belfast.....

his words were.....
          Nobody needs all them flags etc to prove who they are unless they are not confident they are who they claim to be.....

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            I have travelled and worked all over the UK ''Mainland'' for most of my life.......

I have stayed in hotels, guesthouses, and all sorts of digs on occasions.......I have worked with and talked to allsorts of people throughout my long and happy life.........

I have not found any evidence of a mandate for the UK to keep control over any part of Ireland....

What I have found is evidence that says 'They are stuck with it''......just as ''they have been stuck'' with the remnants of the Empire over the years......

If Northern Ireland was made part of the Republic of Ireland tomorrow.....It would not make one little bit of conversation between the ordinary people on the ''mainland of the UK''......Except maybe a curt ''Good riddance'' from the very few people who would be interested enough to make a comment....
            Joe , Irish people North and South never refer to Britain as The Mainland , the "Ulster Scots "might because of their parochialism . Anyway , the fact that ordinary English people would be glad to see the back of NI is irrelevant . Their ancestors decided in their wisdom nearly 100 years ago to allow the Loyalist to retain their Britishness , so what they sow they reap . The UK is paying more to support NI than they ever did to the EU .NI is like the black sheep of the family , good for nothing but shoveling money into . I think you lot are stuck with them whether you like it or not .

Comment

I was having a drink in a hotel in Belfast (1989 I believe)........along comes this rant Billy and lets loose a tirade about I would never get the Ulster back......Changing to my best posh English accent I replied......We are having a quiet drink here would mind very much if you did your shouting elsewhere please.....
              Off he went but I think it was more to do with the high-ranking policeman who I sat next to and always kept his hand on the gun in his pocket ...though I like to think it was my very posh accent....

Comment

Joe , Irish people North and South never refer to Britain as The Mainland , the "Ulster Scots "might because of their parochialism . Anyway , the fact that ordinary English people would be glad to see the back of NI is irrelevant . Their ancestors decided in their wisdom nearly 100 years ago to allow the Loyalist to retain their Britishness , so what they sow they reap . The UK is paying more to support NI than they ever did to the EU .NI is like the black sheep of the family , good for nothing but shoveling money into . I think you lot are stuck with them whether you like it or not .
                Wrong bo......Westminster Parliament is the Parliament of the UK that includes Northern Ireland......

The ''people'' did not have a choice in the matter......

I have heard it referred to the mainland by two people I worked with from Ardoyne......I never felt by their conversations in general that they were anything but ''Nationalists''......I never asked if they were....

Conversation with one of them when I first arrived on the Job''''
                Me...do I need a code to ring home in England....
                Him.....No, it is the same codes to ring the mainland.....

Yes, everybody reaps what they sow........That happened in 1922 to both sides in the treaty negotiations.......

England subsidises Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.....I have never met anybody who had a problem with that as they are part of the same Country.....
                The EU is not part of the UK........

Comment

The power that the Ulster Scots have in northern Ireland was agreed to at the Treaty and then the GFA..,.,..

Next time they must get it right..........

Comment

The power that the Ulster Scots have in northern Ireland was agreed to at the Treaty and then the GFA..,.,..

Next time they must get it right..........
                    The GFA was voted on in referenda by the people of the island north and south - about 80% voted in favour. Those who opposed it were die hard loyalists and dissident republicans.

You think the extremists 'got it right' ?
                    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

So you are saying there was a Border in 1918.......Amazing.....
                      I said nothing of the sort. Invent your version of history if you will... but don't start inventing quotes by other posters.

Thanks bo.....I was referring to the UK mainland......as it is often referred to in the ''North''.....
                      Only by some unionists... and yourself.

The Irish 'mainland'... is Ireland.
                      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                        I said nothing of the sort. Invent your version of history if you will... but don't start inventing quotes by other posters.

Only by some unionists... and yourself.

The Irish 'mainland'... is Ireland.

The UK Mainland is England, Scotland and Wales whether you like it or not....

History has gone...You or nobody else will change the fact that in the 1918 general election there was an all Ireland mandate ..Ireland voted to be ruled by themselves......One Ireland....

Two Irelands were created in 1922......Whether you like it or not....

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                          The GFA was voted on in referenda by the people of the island north and south - about 80% voted in favour. Those who opposed it were die hard loyalists and dissident republicans.

You think the extremists 'got it right' ?

I don't think about extremists........They are for the law to deal with.....

How many people are happy with the GFA I have no idea....Some people are not...maybe they also did not vote for the GFA......

Maybe for the second time in less than a hundred years one section of the 'Irish'' population of Ireland has voted for their own selfish reasons...time will tell.......

Comment

The tax-payers of Northern Ireland have been subsidising the Republic through their EU contributions for years and years......

Comment

The tax-payers of Northern Ireland have been subsidising the Republic through their EU contributions for years and years......
                              Joe , I don't believe in reincarnation , but can you clarify if you and Lord Haw Haw lived for any period at the same time ?. I appreciate it could be close but would you mind checking .

Comment

Joe , I don't believe in reincarnation , but can you clarify if you and Lord Haw Haw lived for any period at the same time ?. I appreciate it could be close but would you mind checking .

The truth should always be told........never mind who it upsets....

I take it you are denying the facts......?

The Northern Ireland tax-payers have also being subsidising the Moselle Valley wine growers according to one our members.....

Comment

Working...
                                X