The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    Catholic and a Protestant could not be buried together ancient times One had to be buried outside the graveyard lol!
    We really were so christian in our approach wern't we

Comment

• Our past was so cruel Vico Bashings in schools, Young boys stuck up chimneys to clean them. many going to work in harsh conditions and them only children,

My Brothers got up at four am to do milk rounds, A time when most were asleep, I recall one boy who slept on the street on our avenue waiting for his parents to return from the pub,

Many nights when it was bitterly cold my Dad brought him in to sleep on our sofa, He turned out very well coming from such a deprived childhood.
      I think we are more christian now especially when it concerns kids
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

There is certainly more awareness of children and their rights and as life changed especially with TV people became more aware of their own rights. That is when people started standing up to the bishops. I was in the hairdressers last week and one of the staff was telling us all that the ceremony of churching women after they had babies, only took place in Ireland. This woman's parents were Irish but went to England to find work and met and married there. So she was brought up in the UK. She had never heard of churching until she came over here, and was quite horrified when she did.

Comment

• Yes it was supposedly a blessing, But in my Mam's time you were not allowed to even cut bread until you had been churched, It was almost like been forgiven for having sex that produced a child. Of course the men were alright as usual

I remember my Mam urging me to go to Marlbourough Street and be churched. I stood with others holding a lighted candle and prayed,

Later I asked my local Priest and he obviously was embarrassed at the need to be Churched. By the time I had my second child the need to be Churched had stopped,

Just as indulgences and Limbo also went, So Now I am a Christian who likes to attend Mass to break the bread and drink the wine, My faith is between me and my God

Comment

Yes it was supposedly a blessing, But in my Mam's time you were not allowed to even cut bread until you had been churched, It was almost like been forgiven for having sex that produced a child. Of course the men were alright as usual

I remember my Mam urging me to go to Marlbourough Street and be churched. I stood with others holding a lighted candle and prayed,

Later I asked my local Priest and he obviously was embarrassed at the need to be Churched. By the time I had my second child the need to be Churched had stopped,

Just as indulgences and Limbo also went, So Now I am a Christian who likes to attend Mass to break the bread and drink the wine, My faith is between me and my God

Is purgatory gone Joan or just Limbo

Comment

• lol! I should think this life is purgatory, Not mentioned now though its either Hell or Heaven

Comment

• Armagh Road movies 1970
                  Attached Files

Comment

• What makes me wonder is what happened to all those poor sinners,Who went to Hell for eating meat on a friday, never went to mass,
                    Fornicated before marriage all guilty of mortal sins, Did they get out, when these sins were abolished, and what compo was offered, lol

Comment

• Great win for Dublin Crumliners off to the Match
                      Attached Files

Comment

• This time of year in Crumlin was the time for picking blackberries and off we would set up the long mile road with our cans that usually had a handle. We ate so many straight from the tree I cannot believe we never suffered any ill affects

Sometimes we would stumble into ditches and sometimes we would encounter an odd cow which we would persuade others was a bull and we would ran so fast out of that field.

It was a pleasant Sunday afternoon task and we stopped to eat our bread and butter sandwiches, Starting out at about 11am and returning about 5pm we were usually very tired when we returned but we always had a full can of blackberries which we knew would soon be lovely jam

Comment

This time of year in Crumlin was the time for picking blackberries and off we would set up the long mile road with our cans that usually had a handle. We ate so many straight from the tree I cannot believe we never suffered any ill affects

Sometimes we would stumble into ditches and sometimes we would encounter an odd cow which we would persuade others was a bull and we would ran so fast out of that field.

It was a pleasant Sunday afternoon task and we stopped to eat our bread and butter sandwiches, Starting out at about 11am and returning about 5pm we were usually very tired when we returned but we always had a full can of blackberries which we knew would soon be lovely jam
                          We all had different containers to put the blackberries in and there was two brothers from Cashel road and they used to have a white enamel bucket and they would bring the blackberries home in the bucket.If you were in there house at tea time the bread and jam would be put on the table,their mother would make the jam in the bucket and the bucket of jam would be put on the table. I never seemed to be hungry when I was in their house.

Comment

• Yes Rasher kids today miss out on so much lovely exercise climbing over fields and ditches and trying to get the fullest can, Soon the juice of the berries would form a pool and you had to make sure not to stain your good Sunday clothes,

There was no difference in the being a boy or a girl, you still climbed and were just as able as the boys.

We had very big cans with handles Looks like they once held distemper a kind of emulsion paint That were well washed,

I have to say after a week or two I had gone off Blackberry jam as I did in January when my mother made her marmalade jam.

There would be a big hunt for jam jars and greaseproof paper which was cut in rounds to cover the jam and tightened with an elastic band

Comment

• looking back at old photo's of Children playing out, I used to be surprised at all the holes in their "gansey's", but thinking on you have to remember what uses they were put to.
                              From goalposts in football on the street to coverings for stray dogs you kept "finding" for filling the fronts rolled back to hold all the apples we found in orchards using as ropes to pull each other out of canals and least of all to keep warm, Life savers they were, lol

Comment

• I remember my mam darning these holes and also darning heels of socks, Who would bother now when things are thrown out soon after they are bought,

I well remember when most men,s jackets sported darned elbows or leather pieces placed on them to give them a longer life

I well remember black diamonds sewn on coat sleeves when a family member had died another custom long gone and I remember my Mam turned the collars of my Dads shirts when they had become frayed.

To turn the collar meant the frayed part was under the good part,

I also remember when you had separate collars and shirts and you could mix a white collar with a blue shirt lol! And the Cuff lings also a thing of the past

Comment

Working...
                                X