Dublinforum.net - Forum  

Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Topic Boards > Transport

Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 PM

It is another trip back to 1997 this week, but this time to Dun Laoghaire. ME 43 is seen at the 59 terminus beside the railway station on Crofton Road. The route connected Dun Laoghaire and Killiney via Dalkey, providing local connections. Although the bus is in City Imp colours the route was not part of the brand - these smaller buses were just more suited to the route. In the early 2000s the route was extended to Mackintosh Park but this was undone in November 2016 when the route was cut back to Killiney once more.
It should be noted that the bus has an interesting destination blind with both ends of the route shown, saving the driver the effort of having to change it. It does mean there is no Irish on it though. Dun Laoghaire, 30/11/1997

Throwback Thursday (99) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr
Old 07-12-2017, 09:03 PM

On the 8th December 1988 Dublin Bus introduced the Nipper into the heart of Dublin. The idea was to run a number of minibuses around the City Centre, connecting the main shopping districts. It was hoped that this would encourage people to leave their cars behind and thus reduce traffic in a congested city. The route was to run for just over two weeks up until the 24th December, but due to popularity it ran into January, covering the January Sales. Starting in O'Connell Street, the route served D'Olier Street, Dame Street, South William Street, St. Stephen's Green, Westmoreland Street and back to O'Connell Street. It was operated by 6 members of the MB Class (MB 6-11) which had recently been delivered to Dublin Bus and would then enter normal service in Donnybrook Garage in 1989. The route's success saw it return in 1989, 1990 and 1991. For a more detailedhistory check out DublinBus Stuff: <a href="http://www.dublinbusstuff.com/Nipper.html" rel="nofollow">www.dublinbusstuff.com/Nipper.html</a>

MB 6 is seen crossing onto O'Connell Bridge from O'Connell Street on the second day of operation with a good load on board. 09/12/1988

On a side note this is my 100th Throwback Thursday and I just want to thank everyone for sticking with me each week. Even I didn't think it would last this long!

Throwback Thursday (100) by Cathal O&#x27;Brien, on Flickr

Last edited by Csalem; Yesterday at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook