Repealing the Eighth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repealing the Eighth...

Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin's announcement on Thursday that he supports the repeal of the eight amendment has caught many in own party on the hop - it also leaves Leo Varadkar as the only party leader not to have done so.

Most expect Varadkar to back the findings of the all party committee... curious that he's allowed the opposition leader to steal a march on him.
    Last edited by cogito; 10-04-2018, 04:19 PM.
    Everything is self-evident.

Originally posted by cogito View Post
    Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin's announcement on Thursday that he supports the repeal of the eight amendment has caught many in own party on the hop - it also leaves Leo Varadkar as the only party leader not to have done so.

Most expect Varadkar to back the findings of the all party committee... curious that he's allowed the opposition leader to steal a march on him.
    It's such a divisive issue , some ask is Me-hall appealing to the younger voters , sad if true .....only he knows . Should not be a political football .

I wouldn't attempt to get into the pro's and con's of it as this is one issue that truly has 2 sides to it .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
      It's such a divisive issue , some ask is Me-hall appealing to the younger voters , sad if true .....only he knows . Should not be a political football .

I wouldn't attempt to get into the pro's and con's of it as this is one issue that truly has 2 sides to it .
      Absolutely - and it's a very difficult one to debate rationally because both sides of the argument are based on the question of human rights - the rights of the unborn on the one hand and women on the other. And it is such an emotive issue that it's very difficult to thrash it out on a calm and rational basis.....people really need to put their emotions to one side on this one........

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post

Me neither... I'm looking at the political maneuverings going on around the referendum.

It's a free vote for the main parties - so TDs in their constituencies can't hide behind the party whip - each TD will be indicating where they stand on the abortion issue - that will be difficult for some FF and FG politicians in rural areas.

Comment

Killing and carving up the unborn is a right I certainly would never wish to have.....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

That's a horrible thing to write Joe.....even though it's true.....it's hard enough for a woman to have it done in the first place and it's not done on a whim a lot of thought would have to go into it and we don't know the circumstance of the pregnancy .....even some of our women posters many have had it done and are living with the pain or guilt of it......and your post would be the last thing they would want to read
            The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
              That's a horrible thing to write Joe.....even though it's true.....it's hard enough for a woman to have it done in the first place and it's not done on a whim a lot of thought would have to go into it and we don't know the circumstance of the pregnancy .....even some of our women posters many have had it done and are living with the pain or guilt of it......and your post would be the last thing they would want to read
              Well said Dinny....

Comment

dinny...My post refers only to me personally......

If I lived in Ireland I would not use my vote in the referendum.......

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  dinny...My post refers only to me personally......

If I lived in Ireland I would not use my vote in the referendum.......
                  No need to be so graphic Joe.......Just say to don't agree with it
                  The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

No need to be so graphic Joe.......Just say to don't agree with it

What I posted is information available to all........I have no special info regarding procedures....
                    I would never interfere with the individuals choice.......Many others will....

Comment

I have no interest whatsoever in what the politicians have to say on this.

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                        I have no interest whatsoever in what the politicians have to say on this.
                        The people will decide on the outcome of the referendum - but, assuming the vote is to repeal, then it will be politicians who decide and create the legislation which will replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                          Well said Dinny....
                          agreed - Quinner's post is an example of the kind of emotive language used - by both sides if the divide - that makes it so difficult to debate this issue sensibly.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                            Killing and carving up the unborn is a right I certainly would never wish to have.....
                            Quinner , you are not allowed to say it like it is in this debate . You are to cloak the abortion procedure in more acceptable terms like womens healthcare , first trimesters, surgical ,vacuum etc, and never refer to the unborn as a baby , its a fetus , a clump of cells or an embryo .
                            On the dilemma facing Varadkar re , which way for him to support , heres a novel idea . Its pretty crowded on the so called liberal side what with M Martin coming out in favour of unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks ,and joining FF with all the other parties position on this . Could he not maybe stay where he previously said he was on the issue , ie abortion only for rape and fatal fetal abnormality . I believe they may lose the referendum if they go with what the Peoples Assembly recommended 12 weeks etc , and he would look to be the statesman unlike MM who flip flopped big time on the issue recently .

Comment

I can see where you're coming from Bo but my point is that people get so emotional and indignant about this issue that they fail to actually listen to what the other side has to say and it just becomes a slanging match with no room for compromise.

Comment

Working...
                              X