No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember Danno power fighting my uncle in the stadium when i was young,also remember him fighting Mick Reid who was a policeman

Comment

• I remember Mick Reid he was a policeman went around with Lugs Branigan. My Dad would attend the fights every Friday in the Stadium and I went along with him, I remember so many like John Sweeney Frank Teidt or maybe Fred Teidt Danno Power and others, I can't say I enjoyed watching But I loved being with my Dad and there was always the fish and chips going home

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
        I remember Mick Reid he was a policeman went around with Lugs Branigan. My Dad would attend the fights every Friday in the Stadium and I went along with him, I remember so many like John Sweeney Frank Teidt or maybe Fred Teidt Danno Power and others, I can't say I enjoyed watching But I loved being with my Dad and there was always the fish and chips going home
        Fred Tiedt lived down the road from me in Goatstown. He used to exercise and skip on the green. He told me skipping is the best exercise of all. He told me to buy a skipping rope and practice and then talk to him again about the next step. Then he disappeared from the green. I hadn't realised he was taken ill.

His brother lived a few doors away from him. The were the spitting image of each other and one day I bumped into the brother and started to chat. I could not understand why he was not friendly until it was explained to me that it was the brother.

Comment

I remember Mick Reid he was a policeman went around with Lugs Branigan. My Dad would attend the fights every Friday in the Stadium and I went along with him, I remember so many like John Sweeney Frank Teidt or maybe Fred Teidt Danno Power and others, I can't say I enjoyed watching But I loved being with my Dad and there was always the fish and chips going home
          Lucky he didn’t try to bring you to Doyle’s pub witch was up the road from the stadium as they wouldn’t serve women in that pub. I was there one night and a woman came in and the barman jumped over the counter and ushered her out, she didn’t even get a chance to ask for a drink.It was said that the owner had a brother who was a priest.Thats the Ireland we lived in,you wouldn’t do it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
            Fred Tiedt lived down the road from me in Goatstown. He used to exercise and skip on the green. He told me skipping is the best exercise of all. He told me to buy a skipping rope and practice and then talk to him again about the next step. Then he disappeared from the green. I hadn't realised he was taken ill.

His brother lived a few doors away from him. The were the spitting image of each other and one day I bumped into the brother and started to chat. I could not understand why he was not friendly until it was explained to me that it was the brother.
            Fred had a brother called Pat he worked for Ronnie Turner who had a clinic in Stillorgan he was a chiropractor.Pat fixed my back a few times he was very good at his job.The last I heard of him was that he moved to Cork

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
              Fred had a brother called Pat he worked for Ronnie Turner who had a clinic in Stillorgan he was a chiropractor.Pat fixed my back a few times he was very good at his job.The last I heard of him was that he moved to Cork
              I am eleven years out of Goatstown and don't keep in touch with anybody there, so have no idea what he is at or where.

Was Doyle's pub the one at Leonard's Corner. I remember there was a pub there and have a feeling it was Doyles, but not sure.

Comment

I am eleven years out of Goatstown and don't keep in touch with anybody there, so have no idea what he is at or where.

Was Doyle's pub the one at Leonard's Corner. I remember there was a pub there and have a feeling it was Doyles, but not sure.
                That’s the one

Comment

That’s the one
                  Thanks Rasher

Comment

• Leonard's Corner the place where a lot of Crumliners could be seen on Monday Morning, The Pawn office was very much part of life in Crumlin then. A Family close to us would go with about four men;s suits and get what they could for them.

Friday would find the woman of the house running down to relieve them for the weekend, Many of the men were unaware their suits were used as such and it was absolutely necessary to get them back in the wardrobe before they were missed.

A spilled drink a vomit would mean no suit to be pawned the following week that was indeed a calamity, My Late father hated pawnoffices and swore we would never know the inside of one,

One day a neighbour asked my friend and I to bring some stuff down to be pawned. I was enthralled at the goings on of the woman as they exclaimed "Ah gowan Paddy you gave me more on it last week" Like an idiot I came home and told my Dad at lunchtime. He was so angry. My Mam had to stop him going over to the neighbour and I could not imagine what was making him so mad,

I well remember a row between neighbours when one shouted at another, "Your never out of the pawn". The other one shouted back, "At Least I have stuff to pawn you have nothing worth pawning" Yes Leonards Corner meant only one thing to Crumliner's

Comment

Leonard's Corner the place where a lot of Crumliners could be seen on Monday Morning, The Pawn office was very much part of life in Crumlin then. A Family close to us would go with about four men;s suits and get what they could for them.

Friday would find the woman of the house running down to relieve them for the weekend, Many of the men were unaware their suits were used as such and it was absolutely necessary to get them back in the wardrobe before they were missed.

A spilled drink a vomit would mean no suit to be pawned the following week that was indeed a calamity, My Late father hated pawnoffices and swore we would never know the inside of one,

One day a neighbour asked my friend and I to bring some stuff down to be pawned. I was enthralled at the goings on of the woman as they exclaimed "Ah gowan Paddy you gave me more on it last week" Like an idiot I came home and told my Dad at lunchtime. He was so angry. My Mam had to stop him going over to the neighbour and I could not imagine what was making him so mad,

I well remember a row between neighbours when one shouted at another, "Your never out of the pawn". The other one shouted back, "At Least I have stuff to pawn you have nothing worth pawning" Yes Leonards Corner meant only one thing to Crumliner's
                      The worst fear was if the husband had to go to a union meeting or a workmate died during the week and he went looking for his suit,all hell would break loose

Comment

• Joan can you tell me is there a difference between Leonard’s corner and Kelly’s corner.That one always confused me

Comment

• Yes Rasher very sad time. I know people who bought cooking pots from Sloans. They paid for them by the week. They were very expensive and they were pawned shortly after they were purchased them for a fraction of the cost never to be redeemed .

That is how many people got into dreadful debt which sometimes lead to evictions. Some people even got their engagement rings from sloans or Bedding which was also pawned.

Dockets cheques and Diddly Clubs were rife, Thank God for Credit Unions.

There were also many Money lenders in Crumlin they also made a good profit from the poverty of people living in the same estates as they were.

These people had to pass the door of the money lender whilst going to the shops so they had to pay even if they were stoney broke

Comment

Joan can you tell me is there a difference between Leonard’s corner and Kelly’s corner.That one always confused me
                            If oi may bein a local to Clanbrassil St.

The Headline Bar on SCR at top of Clanbrassil St Lower has a ghost sign on the upper wall of the pub which says Thos Keogh Family Grocer Tea Wine & Spirit Merchant....Prior to Keogh it was owned by Mr Leonard hence Leonard's Corner.

Kelly's Corner on the other hand took the name of Kelly's Cigar Shop...and the shop is still there preserved as listed...which is good to see... That corner is at junction Richmond....Harcourt.....Camden and Harrington if memory serves right.

Kelly's shop connected to Irish history W of I...was where the mad Brit officer Bowen-Colthurst and his posse destroyed the shop and took Sheehy-Skeffington away and had him shot at Portobello Barracks.
                            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Doyle's at Phibsborough V2.... hence Doyle's Corner
                              Doyle's Corner, Dublin, Ireland. 302 likes
                              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                                If oi may bein a local to Clanbrassil St.

The Headline Bar on SCR at top of Clanbrassil St Lower has a ghost sign on the upper wall of the pub which says Thos Keogh Family Grocer Tea Wine & Spirit Merchant....Prior to Keogh it was owned by Mr Leonard hence Leonard's Corner.

Kelly's Corner on the other hand took the name of Kelly's Cigar Shop...and the shop is still there preserved as listed...which is good to see... That corner is at junction Richmond....Harcourt.....Camden and Harrington if memory serves right.

Kelly's shop connected to Irish history W of I...was where the mad Brit officer Bowen-Colthurst and his posse destroyed the shop and took Sheehy-Skeffington away and had him shot at Portobello Barracks.

Dead on DT. Kelly's corner is at the end of Harrington Street, and the South Circular Road. There used to be a bank on the right hand side as you came along from Leonard's corner. On the left was the Carmel Hotel and then Brady's chemist on the corner. I think Bradys is still there but modernised.

If you turned right you were in Richmond Street going towards Rathmines bridge. If you turned left you were in Camden Street. If you went straight ahead you were in Harcourt Road.If you kept going straight you would have ended up in Adelaide Road at the Eye and Ear Hospital.

Stein's Opticians were in Harcourt Road. They had a window the shape of an eye. I remember Mr Stein, he was very nice. Harcourt Street was a turning to the left off Harcourt Road.

I can't remember which bank was on the right hand side of Kelly's corner. Can you DT. I do recall that the Northern bank was at Leonard's corner.

Comment

Working...
                                X