No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have replied to your posts in Pms Butz I hope you found the information helpful

I will post a photo of my Uncle and Aunts Pipe Band I have been told it was the New Eire Band and I think you would have been to young to have been in it

Comment

• Crumlin
      Attached Files

Comment

• In the late forties and early fifties the nuns would make a killing with their St Patrick Day Badges. They usually comprised of a small medal and a colourful holy picture and they would cost about three pence a goodly sum at that time.

Now if your friends had them you pestered your parents until they gave not only you but your brothers and sisters the money for them., So the busy nuns were churning them out as fast as they could.

If they ran out they still took the money promising to have them next day,

Never see St Patrick Badges any more its all flags and scarfs. The nuns hated the people who put them somewhere until the following year and there were a few. Mine never lasted a day
        Attached Files

Comment

• nurse 1963.
          Attached Files
          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• The Old Bangor Road shopping corner, many times I had to go buy my dad's paper my comics and my Mam's message list for Hanleys, Who gave Tick. You paid him Saturday and started to shop again for next week, It Meant he was the only one you could go to as after paying him for the week you had no money to go elsewhere. Mr Hanley was a very nice Man
            Attached Files

Comment

• Palm Sunday, How different the palm is now. Little yellow crosses made from Rushes. They say these were the original palm of that time. At Choir last night the readings by the three people were readout. I know its been read out for the last few years but I never remember it as a child.

Just remember it was a very long gospel. It certainly has not got any shorter with the priest and two readers telling the long story of the days leading up to Easter.

Last night the priest said anyone who felt unwell could sit down. Everyone stood until one lady sat down and then like a set of Dominos the whole Church collapsed on their seats lol! Today we lost an hour but OH tonight we have that lovely bright evening. Eggs are so cheap now.

I only ever remember getting very small ones when we were young in Crumlin. One spoiled brat who was the youngest in the family got so many from her older siblings. She would bring them out to the road to taunt us with them, Never remember her sharing any and rumour had it that she still had them in late summer ,

I have to say she was very unpopular lol!

At this time years ago in Crumlin the Nuns were busy selling their Easter cards with little medals lol! We always got the money for those. You were made to feel embarrassed if you did not buy one
              Last edited by joan mack; 25-03-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                Palm Sunday, How different the palm is now. Little yellow crosses made from Rushes. They say these were the original palm of that time. At Choir last night the readings by the three people were readout. I know its been read out for the last few years but I never remember it as a child.

Just remember it was a very long gospel. It certainly has not got any shorter with the priest and two readers telling the long story of the days leading up to Easter.

Last night the priest said anyone who felt unwell could sit down. Everyone stood until one lady sat down and then like a set of Dominos the whole Church collapsed on their seats lol! Today we lost an hour but OPH tonight we have that lovely bright evening. Eggs are so cheap now.

I only ever remember getting very small ones when we were young in Crumlin. One spoiled brat who was the youngest in the family got so many from her older siblings. She would bring them out to the road to taunt us with them, Never remember her sharing any and rumour had it that she still had them in late summer ,

I have to say she was very unpopular lol!

At this time years ago in Crumlin the Nuns were busy selling their Easter cards with little medals lol! We always got the money for those. You were made to feel embarrassed if you did not buy one

Joan I hope you are not suggesting that all those holy nunnie bunnies were doing business through blackmail. Oh my - they were far too holy for that - brides of Christ don't you know

Comment

• Hi Vico The nuns were great business women When my late father died aged almost eighty seven in his pocket was a card with a medal, Given to him by me.

It was a Fathers day card, The Nuns must have had a medal machine the medal's for every occasion where the same

This Father's day card just stated, Dear Dad for Father's Day I will offer up Mass and Communion for your intentions, Your Loving Daughter Joan

He must have been pleased with it to keep it from then on. It was very dog eared but the childish writing was still very visible, Poor Man he most likely gave me the money for his own card lol!

Tonight after eight pm its still bright and after a day full of sunshine its quite a cheerful thought to know my grandkids are off school for two whole weeks. So I can finally lie in.

We never got two weeks off at Easter Vico we just got Wednesday Holy Thursday and Good Friday and a few days after Easter. My Grandkids won't be getting Easter Eggs from me. But I will give them money and they much prefer that.

Don't you just wish you could go back again to your youth with the knowledge you have now. I bet it would be much more enjoyable

Comment

Hi Vico The nuns were great business women When my late father died aged almost eighty seven in his pocket was a card with a medal, Given to him by me.

It was a Fathers day card, The Nuns must have had a medal machine the medal's for every occasion where the same

This Father's day card just stated, Dear Dad for Father's Day I will offer up Mass and Communion for your intentions, Your Loving Daughter Joan

He must have been pleased with it to keep it from then on. It was very dog eared but the childish writing was still very visible, Poor Man he most likely gave me the money for his own card lol!

Tonight after eight pm its still bright and after a day full of sunshine its quite a cheerful thought to know my grandkids are off school for two whole weeks. So I can finally lie in.

We never got two weeks off at Easter Vico we just got Wednesday Holy Thursday and Good Friday and a few days after Easter. My Grandkids won't be getting Easter Eggs from me. But I will give them money and they much prefer that.

Don't you just wish you could go back again to your youth with the knowledge you have now. I bet it would be much more enjoyable

Not sure about that idea Joan. Maybe if we could go back, there would be a lot less obedience in school and a few nuns could end up injured.

Comment

• I often wish I had gone back to the school when I was a teenager and had a good confrontation with my teacher who I had from the time I was seven until I left,

She knocked any confidence I had out of me, She was an unmarried spinster and she was never fit to teach. I could read from the time I was five, taught by my Dad and I was very good at Maths.

Whenever we had a tempory teacher because our real teacher was ill I bloomed and going to school was a pleasure. They loved my english Essays and often copied them for other schools. That made me feel ten feet tall, Then one morning Your wan would come back and school became my prison once more.

Its my regret I never did confront her and ask her why I was so disliked. But as a teenager I had a lot of more pleasant things to do. lol! I could have injured two nuns in particular but some others I adored

Comment

• Confirmation day St Agnes Church 1957
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Tuesday for the girls and Thursday for the boys

Comment

Confirmation day St Agnes Church 1957
                            Don't see any father's there
                            The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Fathers were very seldom involved in their kids social functions. Very few had cars and I remember being brought around by bus to visit my aunts and uncles,

It must have been a very tiring time for my mam and it usually took two days to visit them all. I remember plenty of cups of tea and cake and sandwiches whilst being absolutely starving just for a dinner.

Dad was at work and Confirmation was always a weekday. Once home my Dad and I suppose others were delighted to share details of the day, Very few got photos only ones in the school

Now its hotels and house parties. I remember being warned when I went out on the road to show off my new clothes "Don't you dare go to any neighbours house unless they call you. Lots of them called me.

It was believed at that time that anyone who received a sacrament and walked across your floor brought you a blessing and neighbours paid for that priviledge

Comment

• St Agnes Gaa Club back in the day
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X