The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    Ah Vico you have a great recall of Tallaght I to visit there as I have two sisters and a brother there. I have to pass through Crumlin to get there. I remember when my Sisters and my Brother first moved in in the seventies it was a very different place,

Kiltipper where my brother lives had not been built so he started out in Millbrook Lawns. Parties including my Dads funeral was held in Ahernes, After the Square was built I was a weekly visitor and my sisters and I would shop a lot, I went to the cinemas there and I still visit there, Its built up a lot but you can still see the Mountains and often when I visit there is snow where we don't have it on the Northside.

I look at the houses were there once was fields that I once picked blackberries in many years ago,

I remember the blackberry picking well Joan. Where would you even find a bush now, except deliberately cultivated in a private garden.

When I was in my teens there was a group of us who used to walk a lot during the school holidays. We would get the 77 bus to Tallaght and walk from there over the Military Road to Enniskerry. Other times, we would go in the other direction, and get the 44 to Enniskerry and walk back to Tallaght. We used to sing as we walked, it was great craic.

Once when we were walking through Powerscourt we were singing when suddenly other voices joined in. Then we saw a scout troupe from the UK. They were camping there. So we went over and had a long sing song with the boys and the scout master. The delay meant we were still walking through powerscourt in the dark. Still we got back to Enniskerry for the 44 bus home.

Comment

• Sonny Knowles’ final gig was a sell-out performance.

And, just like at countless cabaret evenings, he left the stage to the strains of his signature number, I’ll Take Care of Your Cares, with most of the audience singing along gently, as his coffin moved down the aisle of St Agnes’s Church in Crumlin, Dublin.

Throughout a long and successful musical career, Knowles, who died last Thursday aged 86, had the knack of making everyone feel great and sending them home happy, said the chief celebrant Fr Brian D’Arcy.

He did it again on Wednesday – with a little help from family and the many friends who loved him and who paid tribute to him in music and words, spoken often with deep affection and emotion.

None more so than Fr D’Arcy.

The priest said he knew Sonny and Sheila, his wife of 62 years, for five decades, adding that the friends he had in the entertainment world were “the only friends I’ve had in life”.

He quoted GK Chesterton on the sadness of people dying with their music still inside them. That could never be said of Sonny, he noted. “His entire life was happiness and music and sing-along,” said Fr D’Arcy.

His funeral was evidence of that.

His plain wooden coffin arrived in the church, filled by at least 1,000 people, to Red Hurley singing Nearer My God to Thee in a strong, clear sonorous voice.

Related
      Sonny Knowles, popular entertainer for 60 years, dies
      Sonny Knowles funeral to take place in Crumlin next Wednesday
      Later, accompanied by vocalists Karen Black and Aileen Pringle, with Eugene McCarthy on keyboard, Hurley sang Be Not Afraid and How Great Thou Art to equal perfection.

Tony Kenny gave a beautiful rendition of Ave Maria, accompanied by Seamus Brett on piano keyboard, as did soloist Helen Jordan, singing When I Leave the World Behind.

Saxophone
      But the stand-out musical contribution came from Doc O’Connor, whose tenor saxophone rendition of the song Smile, played both loudly and lightly and with occasional detours into jazziness, managed to fill the great church with a sense of sadness and, at the same time, a feeling of pure, laid-back joy.

Comment

• R.I.P Sonny The Church was packed the best show in town and a mixtures of tears and laughter, I went to school with Sonny's wife's sister, she was a twin. They lived on Clonard Road Crumlin,

I remember Sonny singing in St Agnes Church at Tommy Orr's funeral, Tommy was a host in Molly Malone's and he put the name the window cleaner on Sonny

Tommy was a neigbour on Downpatrick Road

Comment

R.I.P Sonny The Church was packed the best show in town and a mixtures of tears and laughter, I went to school with Sonny's wife's sister, she was a twin. They lived on Clonard Road Crumlin,

I remember Sonny singing in St Agnes Church at Tommy Orr's funeral, Tommy was a host in Molly Malone's and he put the name the window cleaner on Sonny

Tommy was a neigbour on Downpatrick Road

He will be sadly missed Joan, he was incredibly popular, loved by everybody who ever heard or met him.

I think quite a few show people came from Crumlin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
            I remember the blackberry picking well Joan. Where would you even find a bush now, except deliberately cultivated in a private garden.

When I was in my teens there was a group of us who used to walk a lot during the school holidays. We would get the 77 bus to Tallaght and walk from there over the Military Road to Enniskerry. Other times, we would go in the other direction, and get the 44 to Enniskerry and walk back to Tallaght. We used to sing as we walked, it was great craic.

Once when we were walking through Powerscourt we were singing when suddenly other voices joined in. Then we saw a scout troupe from the UK. They were camping there. So we went over and had a long sing song with the boys and the scout master. The delay meant we were still walking through powerscourt in the dark. Still we got back to Enniskerry for the 44 bus home.
            I also remember a similar teenage time Vico when we would call for each other and walk for miles, But we tended to walk to town and as at that time there were no Iron shutters on windows we could look at all the style, There was a shop called Egans right were Roches stores was and they had a wonderful display of teenage clothes

We Had chemist clubs dockets we paid into and we would look to see what we would be able to afford., We also had dockets for Bolgers, (do you remember Bolgers) it was a great way to buy clothes and when you had a new jumper to wear at the Saturday dance life was great,

We also would sing as we walked along and we never felt tired even walking from Crumlin to town and back, We sang all the latest songs of the time and as we also had record dockets we would swap our records until they were almost wore out.

Sunday Mass was a must and your Mam would try to catch you out by asking you what the priest said so no escape.

On Sunday Morning at a quarter past Twelve Mass you would meet all the crowd from the dances, The Olympic the Four Provinces, The ballerina etc.

Great comparing the nights and arranging to meet for the Rialto or the Leinster at the afternoon matinee the weekend flew. But in the summer the nights were long and wonderful,

Comment

I also remember a similar teenage time Vico when we would call for each other and walk for miles, But we tended to walk to town and as at that time there were no Iron shutters on windows we could look at all the style, There was a shop called Egans right were Roches stores was and they had a wonderful display of teenage clothes

We Had chemist clubs dockets we paid into and we would look to see what we would be able to afford., We also had dockets for Bolgers, (do you remember Bolgers) it was a great way to buy clothes and when you had a new jumper to wear at the Saturday dance life was great,

We also would sing as we walked along and we never felt tired even walking from Crumlin to town and back, We sang all the latest songs of the time and as we also had record dockets we would swap our records until they were almost wore out.

Sunday Mass was a must and your Mam would try to catch you out by asking you what the priest said so no escape.

On Sunday Morning at a quarter past Twelve Mass you would meet all the crowd from the dances, The Olympic the Four Provinces, The ballerina etc.

Great comparing the nights and arranging to meet for the Rialto or the Leinster at the afternoon matinee the weekend flew. But in the summer the nights were long and wonderful,
              I remember Egans well Joan. My mother bought me my first suit there. I also remember Bolgers, they only closed a few years ago.

I also recall a fashion competition which used to be in the Sunday Press. The pictures were in black and white in those days. The clothes would be on view in some shop window in town. My mother and myself used to go into town at night to see the clothes. Then she would enter the competition. She never won, but she always enjoyed seeing the items in the window and entering the competition anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                I remember Egans well Joan. My mother bought me my first suit there. I also remember Bolgers, they only closed a few years ago.

I also recall a fashion competition which used to be in the Sunday Press. The pictures were in black and white in those days. The clothes would be on view in some shop window in town. My mother and myself used to go into town at night to see the clothes. Then she would enter the competition. She never won, but she always enjoyed seeing the items in the window and entering the competition anyway
                Joan you set me thinking about Crumlin as I knew a number of people who lived there.

I realised that over the years Crumlin as an area, expanded but DB stayed the same. When I was growing up DB going upwards, ended at Sundrive corner. After that it was Crumlin. The other end was a few yards down Cork Street. Then on the SCR it went just past Bailey Gibsons and roughly to Players Wills. The other side went as far as the Rialto cinema. It was a very compact area and didn't increase its size at all. It was always a village.

Comment

Yes Vico there was a Cinema called the Bower on Sundrive Road. Along side of it it was the stone boat a sort of rocky stream shaped like a boat. We paddled in the small amount of water and thought we were in a proper Stream.

Later There was a pub called the Stone Boat I am not sure if that was a name change for the Submarine Bar that was quite close to the Bower Cinema.

It was there I first heard the old saying, You go in a cripple and come out walking lol!

The first ten rows in the Bower were called the woodeners and its there us kids were put. Close to the toilets which stank to high heaven and of course many small kids peed on the floor. It was cheaper there then the Leinster Rialto or Star but very few times I went there, I preferred the Luxury of a proper Cinema. But the name was funny for such a stinky place to be called the Bower
                  Come to the Bower
                  Jump on the queue
                  Pay in your tanner
                  To see the review
                  Up comes Ned Marshel
                  Please stay quiet
                  Out jumps a hopper
                  And gives him a bite
                  This is the song we used to sing when when we went to the Sundrive cinema
                  Also known as the Bower.Ned Marshel was a self appointed usher who used
                  To walk around with a sixpenny torch telling us to keep quiet.
                  Ned was a legend around Crumlin,he was a grown man with the mind of a child.
                  In Ireland years ago a bower was the name given to a battlefield so maybe that’s where the Sundrive got its nickname from

Comment

• lol! Rasher also a name given to sweet smelling flowers. Lovely poem like so many other Crumlin Poems. Don't you feel sorry for Vico she never had the pleasure of a trip to the Bower. It certainly was a flea pit

Some people from Cashel Avenue
                    Attached Files

Comment

• That's ok Joan, as regards fleapits, I am very willing to die wondering.

I knew two sisters who lived on Sundrive Road, the Edderys and I always had the impression it was a quite kind of place.

Comment

• I forget most of the people I knew from Sundrive Road but I do remember Foxes, They taught music and I was sent there at the great cost of a shilling a lesson, I had to stop because really you needed to have a piano at home to practise and we had no room or money for a piano

Do you remember Vico if you had this picture in your home, Ours stood at the top of the stairs and it frightened the shite out of me when I came home late from a dance and I had to run up the stairs, lol! One night soon after my Mam died it fell down and went down the stairs, my father a very practical man said the twine had rusted but we all wondered
                        Attached Files

Comment

I forget most of the people I knew from Sundrive Road but I do remember Foxes, They taught music and I was sent there at the great cost of a shilling a lesson, I had to stop because really you needed to have a piano at home to practise and we had no room or money for a piano

Do you remember Vico if you had this picture in your home, Ours stood at the top of the stairs and it frightened the shite out of me when I came home late from a dance and I had to run up the stairs, lol! One night soon after my Mam died it fell down and went down the stairs, my father a very practical man said the twine had rusted but we all wondered
                          No Joan We didn't have one of those at all. But you are bringing back memory names to me now. I do remember the name Fox. I never knew of them but I recall there was Mr Fox who taught music there. Maybe some of the my neighbours were learning from him.

There was also Dinah Copeman who taught music on SCR just opposite the church. Her brother was the local Dentist. My mother took me there once. Their father was a lovely man, he came into the surgery with us and told me not to be afraid. It didn't work, but he tried.

Then there was Mrs Gerraghety who was further along SCR near Fatima Church. She taught most of the people in Rialto.

There was also Mrs. Allen who lived near Herberton bridge. She had been a music teacher before she married, but I am not sure how long she continued to teach. Certainly by the time I was about eight, she was not teaching any more

These were all names I knew well, but not the people. We all went to the Municipal School in Chatham Row.

Comment

• In Crumlin Vico we were more into tap dancing classes and as my mother could not afford Piano and tap dancing tap, dancing won out, I went to Drimnagh Castle to Laurie Moran and her Fiancee where I learned to kick my height and do the splits and sing and dance,

Some of my Neighbours kids went also, I enjoyed the shows we did on the Mourne Road Stage and later I went to the Royal Ulans the training ground for the Royalettes and also to May Fielding,

Further down Sundrive Road I new the Morriseys Money lenders and drapers, Also I knew Mr O Keefe who had an eye for the women, Sundrive Road was at the top of Downpatrick Road but somehow the twain did not mix

Do you remember the Alpha bargains on the Crumlin Road, It must have took them ages to put the stuff up and then take it down, They sold an needle to an anchor
                            Attached Files

Comment

In Crumlin Vico we were more into tap dancing classes and as my mother could not afford Piano and tap dancing tap, dancing won out, I went to Drimnagh Castle to Laurie Moran and her Fiancee where I learned to kick my height and do the splits and sing and dance,

Some of my Neighbours kids went also, I enjoyed the shows we did on the Mourne Road Stage and later I went to the Royal Ulans the training ground for the Royalettes and also to May Fielding,

Further down Sundrive Road I new the Morriseys Money lenders and drapers, Also I knew Mr O Keefe who had an eye for the women, Sundrive Road was at the top of Downpatrick Road but somehow the twain did not mix

Do you remember the Alpha bargains on the Crumlin Road, It must have took them ages to put the stuff up and then take it down, They sold an needle to an anchor

I don't remember Alpha Bargains Joan. Where was it, was it near Iveagh Grounds?

Comment

• Many ironmongers and shoe shops use to hang out their ware on long hooked poles every morning, Our Fowl and Fishmonger in Huddersfield sold so many Christmas birds, he employed a Watchman to guard the fare at night as he had no space in his coolers to store them, Picture that happening today with all the Snatch thieves about.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X