This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    Many thanks, appreciate your quick reply especially as you gave up your work break.

I'm a bit confused about this 'book' we are talking about, because I was working on what you said here =

I wasn't aware that Charlie Dalton had written two books ? What is the 1929 book you have called ?

Sure....I guess procured would have been a better term......incidentally, any idea where was it nicked from ?.

That's very interesting.....apart from personal stuff that family might want to keep private ....is there much more material, ie pix and documents out there that we haven't seen yet.... I mean 'a whole lot' 'a lot' 'a fair bit' or 'a bit' ? That you might be aware of ?.

That's very interesting, I know from what you told us so far who you are related to....but can you tell us waht other Squad relations you are in touch with ?.

That's special right enough, I'm sure there's a fair bit of personal stuff in the hands of descendents out there... I have only ever seen the personal stuff of Vin Byrne online to date.

Sorry if my request offended....I would use it to further educate myself seeing as you say.....it's material I have not seen before. And add it to my collection....nothing sinister.

Ooooops....just my luck to be a associated with one of the lesser deserving media platforms....Oil ask Box if he'll consider paying a few more bob up front to make us more high profile.....in order that we might be first to benefit from one of our members hitherto unseen information.lol.

What ME or everyone else ?....I know....quinner hates it too so yer not the only one....BUT the quote tags are available on every forum....their purpose being that each individual subject that might be jumbled up in a post can be highlighted and answered properly as a separate item.....thereby avoiding any confusion in reply....

In other words ...in order to make the reply crystal clear....thereby eliminating any confusion....

Like the old adage ....how do ye eat an elephant ? = Bit by Bit.. lol.

Mind you I am confused about that hardcover Charlie Dalton book you mentioned....but I'm sure you'll put me straight.
    Often cited as one of the major 'innacuracies' on Neil Jordan's movie... not a huge departure from the truth in my opinion. Dublin, January 1920... The movie account... 92J_HUtRYpk Reality... '...In Dublin, the intelligence war continued. Police authorities sent veteran RIC Detective W.C. Forbes Redmond from Belfast at

Sorry you don't like the 'quote tags' in my replies...but if they weren't there for the purpose intended... I wouldn't be able to use them, and that would be a bit of a shame....

Anyway always nice to talk to one related to an ex squad man....I'm learning.
    LOL..I hate nothing, I just ignore what you say as it is a childish way to use the written language.......

I love it when you are ignorant enough to use that childish method...I know then I have won my arguments......completely.....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Well yeah, it was released 2014.

What book is being referenced here ? 'With The Dublin Brigade' by Charles Dalton was originally published in 1929.
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
        What book is being referenced here ? 'With The Dublin Brigade' by Charles Dalton was originally published in 1929.
        Ah cheers Coggers....I see it now in the foreword (Page 9 Line 2)....but not where one would usually find it.

I was a bit baffled that there were two books by Charlie, when I only knew of the one which we discussed when the 2014 reprint was launched. Thanks for that.
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Many thanks, appreciate your quick reply especially as you gave up your work break.

I'm a bit confused about this 'book' we are talking about, because I was working on what you said here =

I wasn't aware that Charlie Dalton had written two books ? What is the 1929 book you have called ?

Sure....I guess procured would have been a better term......incidentally, any idea where was it nicked from ?.

That's very interesting.....apart from personal stuff that family might want to keep private ....is there much more material, ie pix and documents out there that we haven't seen yet.... I mean 'a whole lot' 'a lot' 'a fair bit' or 'a bit' ? That you might be aware of ?.

That's very interesting, I know from what you told us so far who you are related to....but can you tell us waht other Squad relations you are in touch with ?.

That's special right enough, I'm sure there's a fair bit of personal stuff in the hands of descendents out there... I have only ever seen the personal stuff of Vin Byrne online to date.

Sorry if my request offended....I would use it to further educate myself seeing as you say.....it's material I have not seen before. And add it to my collection....nothing sinister.

Ooooops....just my luck to be a associated with one of the lesser deserving media platforms....Oil ask Box if he'll consider paying a few more bob up front to make us more high profile.....in order that we might be first to benefit from one of our members hitherto unseen information.lol.

What ME or everyone else ?....I know....quinner hates it too so yer not the only one....BUT the quote tags are available on every forum....their purpose being that each individual subject that might be jumbled up in a post can be highlighted and answered properly as a separate item.....thereby avoiding any confusion in reply....

In other words ...in order to make the reply crystal clear....thereby eliminating any confusion....

Like the old adage ....how do ye eat an elephant ? = Bit by Bit.. lol.

Mind you I am confused about that hardcover Charlie Dalton book you mentioned....but I'm sure you'll put me straight.
          Often cited as one of the major 'innacuracies' on Neil Jordan's movie... not a huge departure from the truth in my opinion. Dublin, January 1920... The movie account... 92J_HUtRYpk Reality... '...In Dublin, the intelligence war continued. Police authorities sent veteran RIC Detective W.C. Forbes Redmond from Belfast at

Sorry you don't like the 'quote tags' in my replies...but if they weren't there for the purpose intended... I wouldn't be able to use them, and that would be a bit of a shame....

Anyway always nice to talk to one related to an ex squad man....I'm learning.
          Bloody hell there`s a list of questions ! Ok Squad men`s families I am in touch with? Off the top of my head Tom Keogh, Sean Doyle, Jim Slattery, Ned Breslin,Johnny Wilson, Paddy Griffin, Bill Stapleton & I have meet Paddy Lawson`s daughter & grandson ! I won`t even try & list the ASU men whose families I know a member of !
          Last edited by The Dublin Guard; 08-02-2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dublin Guard View Post
            Bloody hell there`s a list of questions ! Ok Squad men`s families I am in touch with? Off the top of my head Tom Keogh, Sean Doyle, Jim Slattery, Ned Breslin,Johnny Wilson, Paddy Griffin, Bill Stapleton & I have meet Paddy Lawson`s daughter & grandson ! I won`t even try & list the ASU men whose families I know a member of !
            Great stuff....see if you can find out if young Dalton and Joe leonard were holed up anywhere after the Dispensary Dalton mentions in his book....Ta.

Comment

• Jim Conroy, looking every inch the returned Yank, is on the right.
              Next to him is Vinny Byrne and then Jim Slattery.
              Extreme left may be Pat McCrea?
              (Courtesy Dan Moore via Gary Deering)
              Attached Files

Comment

• Didn't Conroy leave Ireland under a bit of a cloud ?

Comment

Didn't Conroy leave Ireland under a bit of a cloud ?
                  He did yeah...think he shot the jew khan in Stamer St.

Comment

Didn't Conroy leave Ireland under a bit of a cloud ?
                    Thats def Pat McCrea..... the way these guys were treated ultimately.....after all they did for the country......very sad really.
                    Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 03-03-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• I think this one earns a place in this thread.

Although originally earmarked as a Squad job....disagreement and requests from the Mac Curtain's own Cork Brigade saw Mick relent, and Mac Curtain's own gun was delivered from Cork northward for the job....

Detective Inspector Oswald Ross Swanzy was a bully boy tyrant....believed to have been part of the disguised RIC gang who killed Tomás Mac Curtain in his bed in front of his wife.

22 August 1920 walking along the street between two others.....he got his just deserts....

It was agreed Mc Corley would use the Lord Mayor's gun and get the first shot....which was duly done to the head....another to the body by Dick Murphy....then all riddled him with bullets....job done they got back into their commandeered taxi and took off.

The decision to kill him was taken by Michael Collins himself who believed the officer had been the leader of the party of unidentified men who killed McCurtain....and with some inside help from RIC Sergeant Matt McCarthy who had provided Collins with information in the past, DI Swanzy was traced to Lisburn and gunned down like the dog he was, by Sean Culhane and a Belfast member of the IRA called Roger McCorley. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Tomas Mac Curtain was Elected Sinn Féin councillor for Cork North-West in the January 1920 local government elections, Mac Curtáin, the commander of the IRA's Cork No 1 Brigade, became the first republican Mayor of Cork at the end of the month.

Two months later, at 1.12am on the morning of Saturday 20 March, his 36th birthday, he was assassinated in his bed in front of his wife by a gang of masked raiders – members of the Royal Irish Constabulary in semi-disguise.

At the inquest into his death the following month, the jury found that he had been murdered by the RIC and brought in a verdict of murder against the British Government and its agents – the Viceroy Lord French, District Inspector Swanzy – and other members of the RIC.

French, in an attempt to blacken Mac Curtain's name, maintained that he had been killed by "extreme" republicans because he was too moderate, but most people realised that the Lord Mayor of Cork had been the victim of a deliberate RIC reprisal.
                      has to be noted....Mac Curtain's successor Terence Joseph MacSwiney fared no better and died on hunger strike while in an English jail.

Interesting to note....on the same date exactly two years later Michael Collins would also be dead.......
                      Attached Files

Comment

...The decision to kill him was taken by Michael Collins himself who believed the officer had been the leader of the party of unidentified men who killed McCurtain....and with some inside help from RIC Sergeant Matt McCarthy who had provided Collins with information in the past, DI Swanzy was traced to Lisburn and gunned down like the dog he was, by Sean Culhane and a Belfast member of the IRA called Roger McCorley. Good riddance to bad rubbish....
                        McCorley was great-grandson of Roddy McCorley the 1798 rebel immortalised in the famous ballad...

Comment

McCorley was great-grandson of Roddy McCorley the 1798 rebel immortalised in the famous ballad...
                          Ahh yes....noted the name but never tied the too together....Ouuu dem bad rebel families... oim tellin ya.

Comment

Ahh yes....noted the name but never tied the too together....Ouuu dem bad rebel families... oim tellin ya.
                            They always played Roddy McCorley on the Waltons programme on Saturday afternoon on RTE radio....

Comment

• Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                              They always played Roddy McCorley on the Waltons programme on Saturday afternoon on RTE radio....
                              jaze yeah...ye just reminded me....and we might have said before Brendan O'Dowda...who lived in the next borough to me for years and I never knew...when I did find out I'd intended to write to him for a meet and hello chat....but he was gone before I got around to it... I am pally with his wife Alice Boyle of AB Irish Danc School over this way and see he on and off....a lovely person indeed.

Comment

• funeral of captain fitzgerald, who was shot at earlsfort tce, by the squad.

newspaper reports.

looks like his bracelet i.d. [denoting religion ??]

this picture was along with the other three, was he in it?? , he was nearly 22 yrs of age when shot , not many young faces. think this is known as the 'cairo' gang ???
                                Attached Files
                                in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Working...
                                X