• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    THE LIBERTIES

The Smells

Keeffe's the knackers brewing up at same time as

Guinness brewing up.

The slop man's pig bins on his cart......

Fresh baked bread.....

Doyle's dairy and pig farm over our back wall.......

New sawn timber from the log yard next door.

Cow, sheeps and pig shioyte on the road outside our tenement.

The Sights

Poverty, and smoke filled pubs full of people.

Women selling fish from prams on Lombard St corner on a Friday.

Rabi's with long long grey beards, and long black coats, going to and fro from kosher shop to Synagogues and home.

Cattle and sheep being driven through the streets.......

Waste land and crumbling houses everywhere.

The Sounds

Horse's clip clopping up and down the street.....

Bang Bang shouting from the open bus platform.

The Jewish people of Little Jerusalem singing their daily prayers in their shops while they worked.

Oh Mein Papa being played by Fluter for collection money on his trumpet every night at 6PM dead on, outside Fitzgerald's (Bunch of Grapes) Clanbrassil St corner with Donovan's Lane ...set yer watch.

Fog horns from ships in the bay on cold winter nights.

The rag man shouting for rags, jam-jars n bottles.

What's Yours ?
    Don't forget de chipper in Clanbrassel st best Ray an Chips,after a few pints in De Bunch a Grapes,,,den stagger home to the posh suburb of Rotmines
    I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• Originally posted by tommie View Post
      Don't forget de chipper in Clanbrassel st best Ray an Chips,after a few pints in De Bunch a Grapes,,,den stagger home to the posh suburb of Rotmines
      Ahhh yes 'Le Chippere' ......oh the taste of that Ray...long or wing.....and real chips.. te die for.
      Attached Files
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Was the Pub called this in the 50/60s, or was it just the "Castle". I remember when I would bring a girlfriend of the time home to Dublin for the Holliers, They use to be impressed with the paper umbrella's in the Cocktails, ha ha,
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by archangel View Post
          Was the Pub called this in the 50/60s, or was it just the "Castle". I remember when I would bring a girlfriend of the time home to Dublin for the Holliers, They use to be impressed with the paper umbrella's in the Cocktails, ha ha,
          Just The Castle..... I think it got the 'Bull' bit added when it was taken over by 'F X Buckley" the Moore Street butchers....they added the 'meat' element..... Never in it in me loife.

Interesting to name all the Dub pubs one has been in ones lifetime....I wonder ????

Comment

• Thank you DTW, Always wondered if it was still there, I liked My Dads Pub, The Lord Edward. Great exterior dingy inside

Comment

• Lots of men lying on broken glass performing for pennies on that piece of ground in the 40s

Comment

• Originally posted by archangel View Post
                Thank you DTW, Always wondered if it was still there, I liked My Dads Pub, The Lord Edward. Great exterior dingy inside
                The restaurant upstairs there closed quite recently....great loss to the regulars.

Lord Edward Seafood Restaurant is no longer trading.

We apologise for any inconvenience

http://www.lordedward.ie/

Comment

Just The Castle..... I think it got the 'Bull' bit added when it was taken over by 'F X Buckley" the Moore Street butchers....they added the 'meat' element..... Never in it in me loife.

Interesting to name all the Dub pubs one has been in ones lifetime....I wonder ????
                  I had a meal there last Tuesday. I was meant to be in Berlin but Ryanair had other ideas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
                    I had a meal there last Tuesday. I was meant to be in Berlin but Ryanair had other ideas.
                    Lol....quite a difference there Nems.....What was the pub interior like.....what ye have to eat and how was that. ...?.
                    Ryanair....htf could they let that happen ffs.

Comment

Lol....quite a difference there Nems.....What was the pub interior like.....what ye have to eat and how was that. ...?.
                      Ryanair....htf could they let that happen ffs.
                      The pub is totally different and has been greatly increased in size but is really a restaurant/pub. The food was fine and they were very helpful on the Coeliac issue. It was always called The Castle Inn and the Lord Edward was Cunniams as far as I remember. I went on a guided tour of Dublin Castle for old times sake as I worked there when it was being totally renovated in the sixties.

Comment

The pub is totally different and has been greatly increased in size but is really a restaurant/pub. The food was fine and they were very helpful on the Coeliac issue. It was always called The Castle Inn and the Lord Edward was Cunniams as far as I remember. I went on a guided tour of Dublin Castle for old times sake as I worked there when it was being totally renovated in the sixties.
                        Yes I can see why it's a food pub right there by XChurch and the Dub Castle not far.....as long as ye werent ripped off for tourists prices....game ball. Never been around the Castle myself....though did the walking tour that meets outside it last time 'home'.

I wonder how many Dubs have never been inside ....I mean ...right inside the interior of Dublin Castle ?????

I bet we'd be surprised.

PS; What did ye do workwise in the castle.......

Comment

Yes I can see why it's a food pub right there by XChurch and the Dub Castle not far.....as long as ye werent ripped off for tourists prices....game ball. Never been around the Castle myself....though did the walking tour that meets outside it last time 'home'.

I wonder how many Dubs have never been inside ....I mean ...right inside the interior of Dublin Castle ?????

I bet we'd be surprised.

Apprentice Bricklayer. I gave it up due to illness & fatigue...............
                          My father got sick and tired of me.

Comment

Apprentice Bricklayer. I gave it up due to illness & fatigue...............
                            My father got sick and tired of me.
                            lmao.....well BoJ is our resident brickie here....but he never quite got the silver trowel.....a mate of mine did over here in the sunny south.....could knock ye up a three bed abode fore ye could say Jack Robinson......lol
                            I wonder who the real Jack Robinson really was? .

Comment

I bet we'd be surprised.

I have been inside, outside, on the roof, and in the cellars.....
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                                I have been inside, outside, on the roof, and in the cellars.....
                                So have I. When I was in my teens a friend and myself used to go to mass there on Sunday. We got to know the clerk of the church very well.

I went on a tour again a few years ago, a number of things have been moved. The the little round room there used to be a wood carving of the last supper. This was made from the wreck of the Spanish Armada. It is not there any more. In the throne room there used to be a beautiful with several different kinds of wood in it. It was made by a prisoner on the castle, it took him eleven years to make it. When it was finished he gave it as a present to the King, the King was so impressed with it, that the man was given his freedom in return.

Comment

Working...
                                X