Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spongebob View Post
    Stanleys and Lees in Rathmines too
    Barefoot was a regular shopper in Lees....
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
      Did almost everything you mentioned here DTW....The barbers is Doran's Castlewood Ave....across from the Swan Centre...it's still open and does great business....I usually went there or Salmon's on Harolds Cross Bridge...or if I was short of money I would go to the butcher "Paddy Fay"...Danced to the disco in Ranelagh boxing club.....was in the boxing club joined with Patsy Reilly you may remember him from the area.....

The Dorans were brothers as far as I remember, and one of them told a friend of mine who used to go there for a haircut, that his father used to cut Padraig Pearse's hair

Comment

Barefoot was a regular shopper in Lees....
        They did the canadian winter coats, got many in there with mam while dad wandered around Lenehans or the ESB shop .

Comment

They did the canadian winter coats, got many in there with mam while dad wandered around Lenehans or the ESB shop .
          Do you remember Levis's the tv & radio shop......also Wendys sweetshop ...& Yvonnes beside the Stella.......Kennedys shop just up from Lees...

Comment

• Yvonnes , yes because one of the girls that worked there moved to Rathfarnham too and her son was in my sons year in school, the others no ,

Comment

Did almost everything you mentioned here DTW....The barbers is Doran's Castlewood Ave....across from the Swan Centre...it's still open and does great business....I usually went there or Salmon's on Harolds Cross Bridge...or if I was short of money I would go to the butcher "Paddy Fay"...Danced to the disco in Ranelagh boxing club.....was in the boxing club joined with Patsy Reilly you may remember him from the area.....
              Ahhh Din those were the innocent days eh...The Traynor brothers ran the Boxing Club Bert and can't remember other one, but we paid them a percentage of the door for use of the hall, and it was popular every Sat Sun so we started a midweek dance on Wednesdays and they brought in a good crowd too...out divy of the 60% we took after paying the rent was substantial for the seven of us that ran it and we lived like mini kings with good food and the latest in gear...as in clothes I hasten to add....not the 'gear' they're interested today....Louis Copeland Capel Street was a regular haunt for sharp suits and a bang up to date place in O'Connell St ...I joined the boxing club too aged ten after the oul man plagued me to do.....trained like stink for weeks punching hell out of the bag and ball....then my first friendly fight....got plastered and left soon after that End of boxing career
              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Do you remember Levis's the tv & radio shop......also Wendys sweetshop ...& Yvonnes beside the Stella.......Kennedys shop just up from Lees...
                And Deveney's next door... And I remember one scene from the movie Never Put It In Writing was shot at RMines Post Office...with Pat Boone, Milo O'Shea, Fidelma Murphy, Reginald Beckwith. I was there for that one along with most the population of the Mines....

Comment

Lenehans for all yer hardware and come in handy stuff.

Comment

• I think a lot of the film Rooney with John Gregson in it was shot in Rathmines.
                    I remember a scene when the bin lorry was going down Rathmines Road and Skinner Mc Ghee who lived in Crumlin was cycling up the road on his messenger bike and the word went around that Skinner was in the movies we all went to see it and when Skinner came on the screen we all gave a big cheer.We all thought that Skinner was the star of the film but he didn’t get an Oscar LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                      Ahhh Din those were the innocent days eh...The Traynor brothers ran the Boxing Club Bert and can't remember other one, but we paid them a percentage of the door for use of the hall, and it was popular every Sat Sun so we started a midweek dance on Wednesdays and they brought in a good crowd too...out divy of the 60% we took after paying the rent was substantial for the seven of us that ran it and we lived like mini kings with good food and the latest in gear...as in clothes I hasten to add....not the 'gear' they're interested today....Louis Copeland Capel Street was a regular haunt for sharp suits and a bang up to date place in O'Connell St ...I joined the boxing club too aged ten after the oul man plagued me to do.....trained like stink for weeks punching hell out of the bag and ball....then my first friendly fight....got plastered and left soon after that End of boxing career

Louis Copeland...DTW was for squares....we always went to "Even Stevens" it was groovy baby.....lol

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                        I think a lot of the film Rooney with John Gregson in it was shot in Rathmines.
                        I remember a scene when the bin lorry was going down Rathmines Road and Skinner Mc Ghee who lived in Crumlin was cycling up the road on his messenger bike and the word went around that Skinner was in the movies we all went to see it and when Skinner came on the screen we all gave a big cheer.We all thought that Skinner was the star of the film but he didn’t get an Oscar LOL
                        That is correct Rasher, it was indeed shot in Rathmines. I well remember the scene you are talking about, although I didn't know skinner

Comment

• Does anybody remember the Leinster Cricket Club, up Observatory Lane beside the town hall. We used to go dancing there on a Saturday night

Comment

• My uncle Hal played bowls up there

Comment

My uncle Hal played bowls up there
                              I think there are apartments there now

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                                Lenehans for all yer hardware and come in handy stuff.
                                My late father decided instead of getting the chimney sweep , he would do it himself, we had six chimneys so you can imagine he was saving a few bob. Instead of buying all the rods in one go . In his infinate wisdom he bought one rod per week, because he knew my mother would not let him into lenehans again!!

Comment

Working...
                                X