Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxman View Post
    Reading Lugs Branigan by Kevin C Kearns
    Didn't know about it....just checked it out...will get later.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
      just finished reading 'blitz kids' , its about the german blitz on britan during ww2, its a series of stories about the kids and teenagers living during the bombings and evacuations to the countryside for safety.also it deals with the youngsters who were in the armed forces ,like ww1 most were underage [specially the royal navy] its one of those books you can`t put down, strangely, I offered it to a bloke I shoot with this morning and he declined, he said he was nine years old when that happened and he got a little quiet talking to me about the time, he was form London.....great read of a dreadful time. 605 pages, not bad for 50p pick up.
      Cos, I have worked with Londoners all my life......Heard many great stories of about those times......

One of the old ladies that kath spends a morning with every week.....was sent to Somerset as a ten year old in 1940.....Both of her parents who lived in Poplar East London were killed in an air-raid.......Her only brother was killed serving in the Navy......After the war she stayed on in Somerset....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

that would be heavy reading hagar wasnt he the quantum guy

Comment

He was and it would be make heavy reading.

Comment

Ok i just spent an hour looking thro amazon.....cant find anything that id fancy reading..anyone any ideas? i dont do romance lol

Comment

In the middle of "Gallipoli"by Nigel Steel. Full of pictures and drama about the landings A must read for military buffs.
              I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
              Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                In the middle of "Gallipoli"by Nigel Steel. Full of pictures and drama about the landings A must read for military buffs.
                Read it many years ago......great history..

Comment

I just downloaded it jembo...i read the somme a while back but i think he wrote it with someone else.....cant remember...

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                    I just downloaded it jembo...i read the somme a while back but i think he wrote it with someone else.....cant remember...
                    Read a few about the Somme....and also read ''the Somme''......

All that blood to take the pressure off the French at Verdun........

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                      He wrote this one own his own and its a revised version of his previous book "The Battlefields of Gallipoli" Its a more graphic account of the campaign with many old pictures. One very interesting quote in the introduction by Nigel Cave is one that I have always believed in.
                      Quote:-
                      History can become a plaything of societies and propagandists,so that we have come to a situation in which most people think this was an Australian campaign. Most certainly it was vitally important to that nation's development and it helped to bring it out on to the world stage. But this has overshadowed the contribution of others. Notable the Newfoundlanders,the New Zealanders and Britrish (and indeed ,the Irish) and perhaps,above all the French. Quote ends.

In my opinion the part played by the Irish is the most unrecognized part of the whole campaign.
                      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                        He wrote this one own his own and its a revised version of his previous book "The Battlefields of Gallipoli" Its a more graphic account of the campaign with many old pictures. One very interesting quote in the introduction by Nigel Cave is one that I have always believed in.
                        Quote:-
                        History can become a plaything of societies and propagandists,so that we have come to a situation in which most people think this was an Australian campaign. Most certainly it was vitally important to that nation's development and it helped to bring it out on to the world stage. But this has overshadowed the contribution of others. Notable the Newfoundlanders,the New Zealanders and Britrish (and indeed ,the Irish) and perhaps,above all the French. Quote ends.

In my opinion the part played by the Irish is the most unrecognized part of the whole campaign.
                        Jembo......I think most people are not aware of the three distinct areas of the campaign.....Though there is no doubt that it was a great help to the Russians......

Comment

Emmet Dalton....Somme Soldier, Irish General, Film Pioneer. by Sean Boyne.

Pic; Emmet 1970's.
                          Attached Files
                          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

I'm reading a buke.

Comment

I'm currently reading "the secret speech" by Tom Rob Smith

Last edited by Sharkface; 17-12-2014, 01:10 AM.
                              Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

sharkie,

sorry for off topic, I think you said your g/father was in e comp 2nd batt , this a pic at tom cullens /burial/commeration, excuse me if I`m all wrong .
                                Attached Files
                                in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Working...
                                X