What Are You Reading ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post
    Just finished this about Tara Browne , a Guinness heir who was the inspiration behind the John Lennon song on Sgt Peppers album . Died at 21 in a traffic accident but crammed an awful lot into that short life . Worth a read .
    [ATTACH]67054[/ATTACH]

Read it over Christmas Bo.....Loved it....well worth a read....recommended
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
      Read it over Christmas Bo.....Loved it....well worth a read....recommended
      Glad to hear that Dinny .

Comment

• nazis.jpeg

I read this on holiday last week .A great insight into the Teutonic mentality in the early part of the 20th Century .
        The Freikorp were apparently the inspiration for the creation of the Black and Tans .
        A great read , if you are interested in that sort of thing .

Comment

[ATTACH]67599[/ATTACH]

I read this on holiday last week .A great insight into the Teutonic mentality in the early part of the 20th Century .
          The Freikorp were apparently the inspiration for the creation of the Black and Tans .

Great imagination...Methinks....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

[ATTACH]67599[/ATTACH]

They'd plenty in common... demobbed veterans, internal revolts to be suppressed... and both groups existed at the same time.
            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Great read....even though I know most of it there are a few little gems of info I didn't know at all. One is that Collins didn't have a direct bounty of 10 grand on his head.....there was a bounty right nuff, but they didn't know who it was on.....it stated the instigator....but never mentioned Collins by name as generally believed.
              Attached Files
              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                Great read....even though I know most of it there are a few little gems of info I didn't know at all. One is that Collins didn't have a direct bounty of 10 grand on his head.....there was a bounty right nuff, but they didn't know who it was on.....it stated the instigator....but never mentioned Collins by name as generally believed.
                Enjoy.

Just finished reading this... largely forgotten period from of the War Of Independence.

OutrageseBook9781856358064 (1).jpg

Mercier Press blurb here...

The Outrages gives an account of the major incidents, now slipping from local memory, as the War of Independence escalated from attacks on RIC barracks into internecine atrocities. The many lives lost in each northern county are chronicled with factual accounts of attacks and reprisals, the impact these events had in Westminster and how Churchill, Craig and Collins reacted.

Included are the events leading to the creation of the Ulster Special Constabulary and an in-depth account of the shooting of A Specials at Clones railway station, the slaughter of eight unionists in a single night in south Armagh, the cover-up after B Specials left three innocent nationalists dead and two wounded in Cushendall, and the litany of reprisal killings from Camlough to Desertmartin. Details of attacks on the Great Northern Railway and other networks, not previously published, provide a unique insight into the problems faced by railwaymen and by the government during the period.

A must read for anyone interested in this period of Irish history and a treasury for genealogists.
                Last edited by cogito; 02-09-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
                  Enjoy.

Just finished reading this... largely forgotten period from of the War Of Independence.

[ATTACH]69385[/ATTACH]

Mercier Press blurb here...
                  Looks interesting....never gave it much thought...have to say....One for later.

Comment

• readin the dandy at the moment...all out of readin material!!....hopefully today as its fathers day today!! ...I gave a few hints about the empty book shelf!!
                    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                      readin the dandy at the moment...all out of readin material!!....hopefully today as its fathers day today!! ...I gave a few hints about the empty book shelf!!
                      bingo!!...two bookstore vouchers!! all I have to do is cash them in..last week I only made it by a coupla days with a voucher from last years fathers day!!..new pair 'runners' for me upcoming trip in dec.

Comment

bingo!!...two bookstore vouchers!! all I have to do is cash them in..last week I only made it by a coupla days with a voucher from last years fathers day!!..new pair 'runners' for me upcoming trip in dec.
                        Cool... Adidas or Nike, Cos ? Maybe Converse or Vans if you're getting down with the kids...

Comment

• December Trip

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                          Keep me abreast of that December trip Cos.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                            Keep me abreast of that December trip Cos.
                            its not overseas dt, its a trip on the "ghan", its a railway journey from Adelaide in the south to Darwin in the far north stopping at alice springs,its a bit like a cruise on rails.. the ghan is short for the old camel caravan trail [afghan camels] that were the only way of going through the desert and outback before the railway, as a result there are more camels in oz than in arabia!!

Comment

its not overseas dt, its a trip on the "ghan", its a railway journey from Adelaide in the south to Darwin in the far north stopping at alice springs,its a bit like a cruise on rails.. the ghan is short for the old camel caravan trail [afghan camels] that were the only way of going through the desert and outback before the railway, as a result there are more camels in oz than in arabia!!
                              camels. ? never knew tha....Managed to get to Darwin once in the Yacht....it was something else....Got blown away once.

Comment

great trip cos....I believe the train gets broken into three sections to stop at three platforms because it is so long......
                                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X