Homeless figures reach over 7,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeless figures reach over 7,000

Over 7,000 people are now homeless in Ireland.

More...

"2,500 children are homeless"

Comment

And you have some highbrow worrying about refugees.Look after Irish people first.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
          "2,500 children are homeless"
          Won't be getting better anytime shortly .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
            Won't be getting better anytime shortly .
            Very sad.....I believe the figures for the UK are already rising and I can foresee a massive jump in the future.......

The recent cap on benefits which includes housing benefit will cause a lot of hardship...

Max twenty thousand a year and I think twenty three thousand in London.....

A hell of a shock to those that were on forty to fifty thousand a year, they now have to find cheaper accommodation.....
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

There's over 180,000 empty and vacant houses in Ireland - notwithstanding the fact that over half them are probably in places that no one wants to live, even a small proportion of them would go a long way towards towards alleviating the homeless crisis at relatively low cost.

Seems to be a lack of joint up thinking...
              Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                There's over 180,000 empty and vacant houses in Ireland - notwithstanding the fact that over half them are probably in places that no one wants to live, even a small proportion of them would go a long way towards towards alleviating the homeless crisis at relatively low cost.

Seems to be a lack of joint up thinking...
                I would say much the same proportionally over here....Some social housing has been announced where I live but new private housing localally certainly dwarfs that number.......

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  I would say much the same proportionally over here....Some social housing has been announced where I live but new private housing localally certainly dwarfs that number.......
                  There's been no social housing building here for about 20 years... successive governments relied on private development to cover social housing needs through the imposition of quotas for social housing in new private schemes - the widespread failure of this policy was masked during the boom years by cheap borrowing.

The problem we have now is that there's a critical shortage of new private and social housing leading to inevitable property price hikes. Plus, the threshold for borrowing by young first time buyers has been raised by the government and Central Bank - a belated response to the crash, the sins of the fathers etc. Young people - middle class and working class - have been left with the option of private renting - or staying at home with their parents.

For social housing alone, the estimate is that we need 15,000 new houses built per annum - starting immediately.

We've another problem - to meet that target along with new private housing plus industrial and commercial needs etc. the building industry estimates we need 135,000 new construction workers in the next twelve months... we don't have them. They've all fecked off to Australia, Dubai, London, Boston and so forth - and there's no surplus of idle construction workers sitting here waiting for the call. We'll probably be down to 5% unemployment by the end of this year - which is 100% employment in reality. At another time that would be good news - but people need somewhere to live at a reasonable cost.
                  Everything is self-evident.

Comment

There's been no social housing building here for about 20 years... successive governments relied on private development to cover social housing needs through the imposition of quotas for social housing in new private schemes - the widespread failure of this policy was masked during the boom years by cheap borrowing.

The problem we have now is that there's a critical shortage of new private and social housing leading to inevitable property price hikes. Plus, the threshold for borrowing by young first time buyers has been raised by the government and Central Bank - a belated response to the crash, the sins of the fathers etc. Young people - middle class and working class - have been left with the option of private renting - or staying at home with their parents.

For social housing alone, the estimate is that we need 15,000 new houses built per annum - starting immediately.

We've another problem - to meet that target along with new private housing plus industrial and commercial needs etc. the building industry estimates we need 135,000 new construction workers in the next twelve months... we don't have them. They've all fecked off to Australia, Dubai, London, Boston and so forth - and there's no surplus of idle construction workers sitting here waiting for the call. We'll probably be down to 5% unemployment by the end of this year - which is 100% employment in reality. At another time that would be good news - but people need somewhere to live at a reasonable cost.
                    An absolute nightmare for a lot of people starting out , weather buying / renting ......there's times i'm glad the age I am .

Comment

The top part I'd say virtually mirrors what is and what has happened here....

My mate retired recently from the construction industry.....His words were at the time....My company is not taking on any more work because they cannot get the labour....

I believe the latest figures for houses needed here per year is two hundred thousand....

It is a shame that so many have left Ireland as I believe most would have left reluctantly.....

It is hard to comment on the UK as there is a great difference in areas....But round here it is boom-time and around East Anglia is the same as my son keeps me informed about himself....

I personally was shocked that thirteen years of a labour government and a booming time at that, they built so little Social Housing....

When Thatcher gave the big discount to council tenants for buying their own homes it was stipulated that the money that was raised must only be used to upgrade existing stock....I think that still applies....
                      Then the labour government gave housing benefit so private housing could be rented.....There was no limit on that benefit so it caused prices to rise and a rise in the buy to let.....

Something has to change......But I am not hopeful in the short-term....

Comment

Working...
                      X