No announcement yet.

OBLATE school INCHICORE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agrees with fitzy and bigby, one of my brothers married a local girl there, her house can be seen in photo too. The grotto there used to give me the creeps as a kid. Fabulous photo of the area. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Priests grave yard,top right, where i dug 3 graves in the 80's

Comment

Originally posted by steevo View Post
        I can see ye hidin in the priests garden Fitzy , "Get to class" !
        looking at the pic its hard to belive we got away with going on the hop in the grounds ,lol

Comment

C.I.E workers on Tyrconnell road Nov 1953
          Attached Files
          Last edited by steevo; 16-06-2012, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Steevo
            I hear there are only about 30 tradesmen in the works now some difference to your photo

Comment

C.I.E workers on Tyrconnell road Nov 1953
              Originally posted by athcliath View Post
              Steevo
              I hear there are only about 30 tradesmen in the works now some difference to your photo
              the Grotto house , many a fond memory ,nicking the comics from there lol

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
                the Grotto house , many a fond memory ,nicking the comics from there lol
                Not if macker was lookin at ye...

Comment

Not if macker was lookin at ye...
                  never got caught ,got the jackie for me sister, the hornet for me brother and the benno for meself , all paid for but I'd nick the Dandy ,lol , macker never knew , ah those where the days

Comment

History

The history of our school is very much linked with the history of the locality and particularly with that of the Inchicore Railway. The establishment of the school was a direct response to the needs of the area at the time. It was built on the site of what was the Cow and Calf Inn. Let’s journey back a little in time!
                    The year is 1729. An Act of Parliament in this year established Ireland’s first turnpike or toll road. It went from James’ Street through Kilmainham and Inchicore, past the Cow and Calf Inn to Kilcullen, County Kildare. The Kilcullen Road Company – a Turnpike Trust – maintained this road. In turn the Trust charged toll fees at various gates along this road. Sample fees for 1787 were as follows:
                    A coach with 4 horses was charged 1 shilling (5 pence) per horse
                    A horse and cart was charged 1 old penny
                    A horse only was charged 1 old penny
                    Droves of domestic animals were charged various amounts per score (20)
                    In fact the Cow and Calf Inn was situated at a very important road junction. A second Turnpike road, operated by The Mullingar Road Company between 1786 and 1854, went along Inchicore Road, also passing by the Cow and Calf Inn, through lower Ballyfermot and Palmerstown.
                    In the early 1800’s Inchicore was an area of fields and pastures. The Cow and Calf Inn was on land owned by Lord Cloncurry. Nearby was the Cow and Calf farm, which stretched along Grattan Crescent and lower Tyrconnell Road. An Act of Parliament to establish a railway was passed in 1844. Thus began the Great Southern and Western Railway Company, later C.I.E. at Inchicore. The newly formed Railroad Company acquired a seventy-three acre site locally. Here the Railroad began, but due to the Great Famine it was not completed until October 1849.
                    The expansion of the railway works created a need for houses in the area. The Railroad Company built houses for their workers, beginning with North and South Terrace and Inchicore Square. Later other terraces were built. A school was also a necessity and with the construction of the Inchicore National Schools or Model Schools came the demise of the Cow and Calf Inn, as it was on this very site, on land belonging to the Railroad Company, and with their financial assistance, that the school was built in 1853.
                    While the National School System was established in 1831, and schools were open to pupils of all denominations, many Catholics viewed the schools at the time as another attempt to proselytise, and continued, when they could afford it, to use “Hedge Schools” to educate their children.
                    Initially when the schools opened in October 1854, there were three separate schools here, an infant school, a girl’s school and a boy’s school. The schools were always referred to as the “Model School”. The building was a model or example of the then current vision of what should constitute a school, hence the name. It was built to a definite plan, had a very precise furniture layout. Pupils’ desks were fixed to the floor to ensure that the pupils always sat in the same regimented way. All aspects of daily life in school were highly regimented, the pupils marched about and the lesson in hand had to be clearly on display. Where heating was provided, it was from the fireplaces in each classroom, the fuel often provided by the pupils. The Irish language was not taught, and any Irish history had to be suspect. Parents had to certify in a special “Religious Instruction Certificates” book the kind of religious instruction they wanted for their child, where the pupil’s religion differed from that of the teacher. The Inspector also was obliged to sign this certificate. The daily routine was strictly timetabled, with frequent inspections. In some Model Schools students were coached and instructed as future teachers.
                    Here, in the Model School, up to the 1920’s, apprecentices from the local Railroad Company attended evening school.
                    In 1934 part of the boy’s playground was acquired by Dublin Corporation to widen Grattan Crescent. Some of the horse chestnut trees were then lost and the boy’s play area reduced. The lower wall with its railings was built at this time.
                    Through the course of its long and illustrious history, the school had some famous people on its staff and in turn produced many noteworthy pupils. The noted dramatist T.C. Murray was headmaster in the boy’s school until his retirement in 1932. Another headmaster was the acclaimed singer, Elias (“Bunty”) Maguire, who won the gold medal for tenor the year after John Mc McCormack, and whose son Hugh Maguire was the acclaimed violinist. Mr. George Brown, headmaster until 1976, organised a night school for the young people of the area and trained the once-famous Inchicore Hibernian’s GAA football team. The Irish poet Caoimhín Ó Conghaile was also on the staff of the boy’s school.
                    Perhaps the most famous pupil, from Phoenix Street, was the poet Thomas Kinsella, born in 1928, who received his Primary Education at “The Model” from 1932 until 1940. Mr. Kinsella is especially noted for his translation of the Irish epic, the “Táin”, or “Cattle Raid of Cooley”, the oldest Epic Tale in Western Europe.
                    The children of Maurice Walsh of “Quiet Man” fame also attended the Model. Many pupils over the years brought honours to the schools through their efforts at the various “feiseanna”. Much later, Pat David Nolan, who plays “Barry” in the current T.V. soap “Fair City”, attended until fourth class. Recently the schoolyard was used in the filming of “Angela’s Ashes”
                    Over the years, the school belonged to various parishes: St. Jude’s, James’ Street, St. Michael’s Inchicore and from September 1972, to the Oblates of Mary Immaculate Inchicore.
                    Initially the ethos would have been that of the British Establishment and Church of England, despite the official effort to maintain otherwise. It was to counteract the effects of the Model School, that the Oblate Fathers, at the invitation of the Catholic Hierarchy, opened the House of Retreat in Inchicore in 1861. In 1916, at the height of the Easter Rising, the Inspector wrote that work was progressing well, “despite local disturbance”. With the foundation of the State, the ethos of the school became Catholic. The Minister for Education was the school’s manager and the Office of Public Works was responsible for the maintenance of the building. An asbestos-covered diesel burner eventually provided central heating. The Infant School was absorbed into the other two schools in 1970. In 1972 an effort at modernisation was made, through the efforts of Father Joseph Horan O.M.I., whose mother once taught in the school. New toilets were built back to back for boys and girls, in what was once the infant schoolyard. At this time suspended ceilings were installed.
                    In the early hours of December first 1991, as a result of an intrusion, a fire caused serious damage to part of the building. In the course of refurbishment, the timber wainscoting on the walls was removed. Concrete flooring replaced the worn wooden floors and the asbestos-covered diesel burner was replaced with a modern gas burner.
                    In September 2001 the boys and girls schools amalgamated. What were once three schools is now one single school – Inchicore National School, still called “The Model”!
                    We are one of the oldest schools in continuous use in Ireland, with a long and glorious tradition. We strive to educate the pupils entrusted to our care, in keeping with the great tradition of our noble predecessors.
                    Sources of information:
                    Inchicore Kilmainham and District by Seosamh Ó Broin
                    Mr George Brown (RIP) former headmaster
                    The Internet

Comment

the Oblate school and church last week
                      Attached Files

Comment

Past pupil here anybody got any photos of the teachers

Comment

Originally posted by P Cahill View Post
                          Past pupil here anybody got any photos of the teachers
                          have some of Joey ,mr Sweeny and mr Garry somewhere , there's a reunion next thursday and I will try dig them out by then , hope to see some ex-class mates there

Comment

[QUOTE]
                            History

The history of our school is very much linked with the history of the locality and particularly with that of the Inchicore Railway. The establishment of the school was a direct response to the needs of the area at the time. It was built on the site of what was the Cow and Calf Inn. Let’s journey back a little in time!
                            Great info there Fitzer....very informative indee

The year is 1729. An Act of Parliament in this year established Ireland’s first turnpike or toll road. It went from James’ Street through Kilmainham and Inchicore, past the Cow and Calf Inn to Kilcullen, County Kildare.
                            Perhaps the most famous pupil, from Phoenix Street, was the poet Thomas Kinsella, born in 1928, who received his Primary Education at “The Model” from 1932 until 1940. Mr. Kinsella is especially noted for his translation of the Irish epic, the “Táin”, or “Cattle Raid of Cooley”, the oldest Epic Tale in Western Europe.
                            Often wondered why me Great Great Granda made his way from Kilcullen to Dublin....it was obviously for work....but never knew about the road.....I suppose get on it and keep walkin....eventually yer there.

The folks from Kilcullen lived at a place called Air Mount near the Jail, and later in Abercorn Tcr...where Peadar Doyle (future Lord Mayor 1941–43 and from 1945–46, lodged with them and met his future wife my Grand aunt Kathleen.......later one of the sons (me Granda) met a girl from Phoenix Street (The Ranch) they married and moved into a house in the Ranch, not far from her parents place where she grew up, and were neighbours of Kinsella......my Da grew up in the Ranch until they moved to two address in turn in Ring Street, then to Nash Street and finally to No 2 Ring Terrace....where the last was to leave in the mid 70's.

All had worked in the CIE Works. All had attended the Model School.....all have sung in the church choir, with one being head organist for over 26 years. All played football, with my Da, playing for Inchicore, St Pat's and the Nugget Boot Polish Company. They played down by the liffey, in the Ranch, and the da told me they always had a lad on standby in swimming togs to go get the ball when it went into the River.

Another was in F Coy Irish Volunteers with Peadar, Con and Michael M....On one Tan raid they hid down a sewer and the metal cover was replaced, until the coast was clear. They trained in the Brickworks.

Con Colberts bayonet was given to the Granda as a keepsake before he went to the firing squad, it's still in the family to this day.

Inchicore Kilmainham and District by Seosamh Ó Broin
                            A lifetimes work and a must have for any Inchicoreite interested in the history of. The book is now out of print but copies can be fornd on Amazon Books for around £50 as it's now a collectors item. Seosamh is a gentleman indeed, well into his eighties now, we talk regularly on the phone, and I am proud to be able to call him a friend. He is currently though slowly working on Part 2, which will be a photo history of Inchicore when completed.

Pic 2. Thomas Kinsella (True) Poet, Phoenix Street The Ranch Inchicore.
                            Pic 3. Alderman Peadar Doyle Lord mayor X 2.
                            Pic 4. Granda and Granny, Phoenix Street The Ranch, Inchicore, Wedding Day
                            Pic 5. Kathleen Coleman Doyle, my Granda's sister and my Grand Aunt....Ald Peadar Doyle's first wife.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 04-05-2014, 05:10 PM.
                            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

thanks DTW Seosamh Ó Broin lives a few doors down from my sister , they speak most days and with my sister and her family been Irish speakers they converse in Irish , his book is a must have for anyone interested in Inchicore / Kilmainham , I got mine in Bols chemist a few years ago may dropped into Seosamh Ó Broin one day and he signed it for me , hope he brings out his second book soon

Comment

took an old photo album down frommy attic and found this picture of most of the class's 1968/69ish ,
                                reggies brother, tigers brother , LAGREF AND STEEVO and a few other posters from here and .ie should be in it
                                Some of the front row is the 1st class, 1969. I should be in it but can't quite be sure if I'm there! Some of the names are; Mark Daly (dickie bow), Pat Kinsella, Christy (Git) O Toole. Robbie Burns, David (Chicken) Stewart, Jerome Hurley, Dickie O Donoghue, Alan Fagan and Lar Duffy.
                                Last edited by Scriobh; 27-08-2014, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X