No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to read your posts Joan. They are interesting, even to a foreigner like me from North of the Liffey.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Hi Jim, I have lived on the Northside over forty years most of my life, But In Crumlin I had my base and I felt loved and cherished there as most kids do,

Its a beautiful Sunny day in Dublin and it looks like summer has finally come so history later but just now I am remembering summer in Crumlin,

We would be allowed out in our knickers on a day like this. Yes the knickers with the elastic in the legs, no money for sunsuits then But we all had mammies at home our mams didn't work,

Shopping was done everyday because we had no fridges and it was called going for the messages, One Child was allotted to do the messages one to make the beds and one to mind the youngest child,

Boys escaped everything,

On Saturday morning my Mam would say Okay lets start at the top of the house girls. You would think we lived in a mansion in Dalkey instead of a two roomed house in Crumlin lol!.

The beds were changed the lino was swept, Comics were removed from under the mattress, Then the stairs were swept, We had carpet on the stairs lol! it was donated to us by an uncle who worked for as a gardener and had found it thrown out.

My Dad insisted on putting tea leafs on this to keep down the dust.

When we reached the hall there was the main room and the scullery, Floor was polished and younger kids had a slide on them to bring up the shine,

Mam was bleaching the delph no Brown marks in her cups that was dreadful sloppy lol! I hope she is not looking down on mine,

My Mam was obsessively tidy my Dad was dead sloppy, If he asked did you want tea you would say NO because he would take a cup off the table that someone had finished and pour you out a cup,

Mammy always washed a cup before she poured your tea. They were great parents completely opposites but they loved each other,

Once on a sunny day I went to the Iveagh Grounds were Baily Gibson were doing a tug O War My friends and I were all in knickers it being a glorious day,

After the Tug O War I ran to my dad who was horrified I had gone to the Iveagh Grounds in just my Knickers lol!

Comment

The Family which took its cognomen from the place was known outside the manor, and one of its members Adam De Crumlin, served as sheriff of the metropolitan country.

During the Thirteenth century, as stated in the history of Templeogue, The old city water course which flows by Crumlin Parish, was constructed, From it the townland of Tonguefield derives its name. After leaving Templeogue the course joined at a point near Kimmage the river Poodle and their waters flowed together in the bed of the Poodle until they reached a point which has become knows as the Tongue in Crumlin Parish. Here they divided again, portion following the original line of the Poodle through Harold's Cross and the remainder being diverted in an artificial course to Dolphins Barn and thence to to james Street in Dublin

Comment

Nice to see you back posting again Joan, keep it up, nice bit of history there.

Comment

Loving the stories Joan, I used to live with my aunt Josie up on Stannaway avenue, and I remember Cannon Hickey well, he was dreaded, lol, one day he came to Josie's house, he says, mrs Richards come with me now! So she pulls off her apron and follows him to St. Agnes's church, when they went inside it was lit up like a Christmas tree, every candle was alight, Josie says, oh cannon it's really beautiful! Yes it is, sez he, your son Christy did it , and never put a penny piece in the box, christy was 8 at the time, poor Josie was mortified! Lol. Can I ask how Crumlin was often called Kimmage, I know there's Kimmage road, but I wondered why some people call it Crumlin, and others call it Kimmage!

Comment

Great info Joan, thanks.
              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Well Marie I laughed at your story, Most candles today are electric you put money in and press a button. Its amazing churches did not go up in flames with the number of candles lit. in them days and people put their last pennies in thinking a candle would help them. I do believe in Prayer but I think candles a waste of time. I seen so much money spent of candles in Lourdes Fatima Medigorje etc, I still like a scented candle in the house or bathroom

Howya Paudge nice to see your still here

Well everyone by the time we reach the present century you may all be asleep.

Today once again is a lovely day, I wonder was it my imagination but summer when I was growing was always lovely, We would have concerts in our back gardens with anything we could get our hands on for props.

The people hosting the party always got to do the most song and dances no matter how bad they were. One penny or twopence was needed to attend and that was spent on sweets etc.

Tap dancing sounded great on the cement outside the back door in fact sparks would fly.

We also had a game were we would but coloured cellophane in a shoe box with images behind and we would say "A pin or a button to see the show"
                Last edited by joan mack; 20-08-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Now back to history

Crumlin then was known as Crum or Trum, and the similarity of the latter name to that of Trim gave rise in the early part of the fourteenth century
                  to a dispute between the Archbishop of Dublin and the Bishop of Meath as to the right of of presentation to the church of Trim.

It has also caused a mistake in regard to a terrible tragedy, which was enacted at the time near Crumlin, but which has erroneously supposed to have happened near Trim. This tragedy was the slaughter of the O'Tooles after a raid on Tallaght in 133`, of a number of the leading inhabitants of the neighbourhood, including one of the Brets of Rathfarnham and two of the Barnewalls of Drimnagh, who had followed them and were led into an ambuscade at a place knows as the Culiagh not far from Crumlin
                  Last edited by joan mack; 20-08-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                    Now back to history

Crumlin then was known as Crum or Trum, and the similarity of the latter name to that of Trim gave rise in the early part of the fourteenth century
                    to a dispute between the Archbishop of Dublin and the Bishop of Meath as to the right of of presentation to the church of Trim.

It has also caused a mistake in regard to a terrible tragedy, which was enacted at the time near Crumlin, but which has erroneously supposed to have happened near Trim. This tragedy was the slaughter of the O'Tooles after a raid on Tallaght in 133`, of a number of the leading inhabitants of the neighbourhood, including one of the Brets of Rathfarnham and two of the Barnewalls of Drimnagh, who had followed them and were led into an ambuscade at a place knows as the Culiagh not far from Crumlin
                    I've been caught in the odd ambuscade in Drimnagh myself

Great info Joan, keep it coming!
                    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                      I've been caught in the odd ambuscade in Drimnagh myself

Great info Joan, keep it coming!
                      lol! I know there are old english words I can't make sense of, Glad their not in everyday use

More History

Some years before that time steps had been taken by the Crown to erect a Castle at Crumlin for the protection of the inhabitants. These appear to be largely Ango-Norman settlers, and from them the Crumlin lands had obtained extremely curious and place names, Amongst them may be mentioned the grene, the croseynde, the pobel, the moredych the knocweyin the sledan the quilagh grene, the fryth or coppice wood, the langlye, the conyngere the youghlyhegeswey,

During the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries the Abbey of St Thomas the Priory of the Holy Trinity and the Guild of St Anne in St Audeons Church, and appear as owners of property in Crumlin and amongst the local families there occur the names of Stephens, Whitbred, Gallane, Stafford, Hay Arthur and Says
                      Last edited by joan mack; 30-08-2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

During the latte part of the fifteenth Century an important local person is mentioned in Robert Account of Crumlin. His death took place and was attributed by Archbishop King to a chill contracted during a total eclipse of the sun. This eclipse was attended with great cold and dew, and the Chief Baron was returning on Horseback at the time from the circuit,and was then thus much exposed to the weather.

The Chief Baron's wife was a grand daughter of the First Earl of Orrery and a sister of Speaker Henry Boyle who was raised to the peerage as the Earl of Shannon

Comment

Are Yis still awake, Gosh this is heavy stuff and we are still in the Fourteenth Century, Bet your saying get to the point lol!

Comment

Their only son who was born after the Chief Baron's death died when an infant and the Chief Baron's property descended to his five daughters, They made great marriages, and amongst Chief Baron's son in laws were The Earl of Mayo, The Lord Doneraile. The Lord Lisle and the lord Dungannon of that time.

About ten years after the Chief Baron's death his house at Crumlin was advertised for sale, It was described as handsome new fashioned residence, and was surrounded by wall gardens in which there were fish ponds,

Apparently it was not disposed of at the time and was subsequently occupied under the Chief Baron's representatives by the Hon, Richard Allen, the third son of the first Viscount Allen of Stillorgan and father of the third and fourth Peers of that Title.

The Honourable Richard Allen who was a Captain in the army, inherited his father's Kildare Estate and represented that county in the Irish Parliment of which he and his brothers were well known members.

Comment

Where in Crumlin was the Baron ' s residence Joan?
                              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Will yeh have patience Boxman I have yet to tell about the highway men in the Greenhills and how nobody went there lol! I wonder how much has changed, The feckin traffic is dreadful there now.

Reading this history reminds me of a friend I have who starts to tell me a story and then she goes off like "You know peter Ryan Ah you know him hes married to Jenny that works in the cleaners now her brother is married to Tom Riley"

Now see what I mean My mind can't keep up with her and soon I am quite Dizzy well this History is like that, Trying to fit in the Chiefs the Lords the Visconts etc.

It could well be Lisle House but the next few pages may cast some light on the matter, There is a lot of horseback riding coming up lol! bet there were other kinds as well, Boring life in Crumlin then

Comment

Working...
                                X