No announcement yet.

1960's Ballymun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as rashers sez......were all 38 here lol..the fact that some of us were born in 1949/1950 is totally immaterial...

do you remember when the flats were built in ballymun??
    i remember being in the lift in the taller building....on one of the good days the lift was actually working....and standing there beside me was a guy taking his Bubble car up to his mammys on the 6th floor cos he figured if he left it in the parking it would either be robbed or demolished....i was very impressed at the sight of a CAR in the lift.......i was also impressed at the bubble car lol..

Comment

mkm

Hi MKM.
      How are you , they started to build the flats during the year 1966.
      Joe

Comment

The little hall behind the priests house later became an FCA (now Reserve Defence Force) training centre, with th efield between the school and Santry Lane being used for fieldcraft training, the Santry forest as it was called was used for that purpose too.... and believe it or not live ammo was carried with each private soldier armed with a Lee Enfield No4 rifle that took .303 rounds.... and the NCOs carrying a loaded and ready Gustav SMG. This was at the beginning of the 'Troubles'.

I was involved locally with the Youth Action Project, an organisation that started life in my flat. We were liasing with kids that were taking drugs, and trying to help them quit. But the drug situation was getting out of hand and we asked the priest to let us have a room in the house to use as a drop in centre, with strict rules, no drink or drugs, but we had a supplier for soft drinks, coffee, tea etc.

The priest refused, saying he didn't want 'junkies' "hanging over the wall outside".

I told him this had to be a community effort with his involvement too.

He adamantly refused.

The whole house is now a drug users centre... no priests live there anymore. How different things might have been if he had co-operated.

My boys started school in the one you mention before being moved to the Virgin Mary. I think at that time Mina Bean uiCribben was a teacher there at that time.

I used to love taking a walk up the 'back road' to the airport, and on the way buying ice cream, sweeths etc in Mr Rogers shop, the little shop at Ballymun Cross that had a water pump out near the edge of the road.

I could keep on writing here but I'll give your eyes a rest for now anyway.
        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Nice piece there rashers,
          I was gone before people moved in there but as I said before I worked on them as did a buddy of mine George r.i.p .
          I do remember the back Rd as many a time we took it up north and on out to knocksedan as kids running away lol untill dinner or tea time.
          Can well believe you about the priest as many ,not all ,were arrogant and thought they ruled the place.

Comment

Working...
          X