Ken Burns "The Vietnam War"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Burns "The Vietnam War"

Anyone else watching this great documentary series? The stand out for me is the archive recordings of LBJ talking to his various officials and the number of Americans that said they were fighting on the wrong side. BBC 4 started showing the cut down version last Sunday night. My youtube recommendations feed was flooded with Vietnamese subbed episodes so it seems to have generated a considerable amount of interest in Vietnam.

Great sound track too.
    Wiki
    Episode 1 includes Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall", T-Bone Walker's "Mean Old World", and Rosemary Clooney's "Come On-A In My House". The Dylan song is reprised over the closing credits.
    Episode 2 includes Miles Davis' "So What", Bill Doggett's "Honky Tonk (Part 1)", Woody Guthrie's "Dirty Overalls", The Ventures' "Walk, Don't Run", and Ben E. King's "Stand By Me". Sam Cooke's recording of "Mean Old World" (the same song performed by T-Bone Walker in the first episode) plays over the end credits.
    Episode 3 includes Bob Dylan's "With God On Our Side", Buffy Saint-Marie's "Universal Soldier", Johnnie Wright's "Hello Vietnam", Phil Ochs' "I Ain't Marchin' Anymore", The Animals' "It's My Life", The Rolling Stones' "Play With Fire", Donovan's "The War Drags On", Johnny Cash's "Big River", Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction", Burl Ives' "Little Drummer Boy", and over the closing credits, "Turn! Turn! Turn! by The Byrds.
    Episode 4 includes The Staple Singers' "Masters of War", Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally", Doub Wamble's "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", Howlin' Wolf's "Smokestack Lightning", Pete Seeger's "The Willing Conscript", Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence", Donovan's "Sunshine Superman", Bob Dylan's "One Too Many Mornings", Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am A Rock", The Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", Wayne Shorter "Footprints", Bob Dylan's "Talking World War III Blues", The Ventures' "Wild Child", Bob Dylan's "One Too Many Mornings" and Genesis's "Ravine". Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence" played over the closing credits.
    Episode 5 includes Jimi Hendrix's "Are You Experienced?", The Spencer Davis Group's "I'm a Man", Cream's "Strange Brew", Pete Seeger's "Waist Deep In The Big Muddy", and, over the closing credits, the Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black".
    Episode 6 includes Janis Joplin's "Summertime", Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile", Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin' On", The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows", Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit", Eddie Harris's "Live Right Now" and, over the closing credits, Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

it has been said that over two and a half million US servicemen took part in the war in Viet-Nam.......

I wonder how many were asked what side they should have been on......
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
      Anyone else watching this great documentary series? The stand out for me is the archive recordings of LBJ talking to his various officials and the number of Americans that said they were fighting on the wrong side. BBC 4 started showing the cut down version last Sunday night. My youtube recommendations feed was flooded with Vietnamese subbed episodes so it seems to have generated a considerable amount of interest in Vietnam.

Great sound track too.
      Wiki
      I watched the first episode on BBC Four last week and thought it was excellent. The background stuff on Ho Chi Minh was really good - he went well up in my estimation.

Didn't realise it was 'cut-down' though - is there another version knocking about ?

Great soundtrack alright...
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

''Viet-Nam''.....The War we watched on telly..

Day in day out we saw it on our screens....We lived the news Broadcasts......We listened to the Soldiers, Civilians,Generals and Politicians in real time......

We lived the History...Though it was not a good sight.......

Many will still be amazed at the edited version......

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post

Day in day out we saw it on our screens....We lived the news Broadcasts......We listened to the Soldiers, Civilians,Generals and Politicians in real time......

Just as we as kids lived the Korean War but were too young to understand it..

Comment

Just as we as kids lived the Korean War but were too young to understand it..
            We watched a US soldier getting shot and two South-Vietnamese Soldiers run up to the body ands steal his wallet...

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
              I watched the first episode on BBC Four last week and thought it was excellent. The background stuff on Ho Chi Minh was really good - he went well up in my estimation.

Didn't realise it was 'cut-down' though - is there another version knocking about ?

Great soundtrack alright...
              The BBC are showing 10 one hour episodes, the original PBS America version is 18 hours long.

Comment

Yep,we watched the use of 'agent orange' napalm and the claymore mines.
                I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                  Yep,we watched the use of 'agent orange' napalm and the claymore mines.
                  hey... no spoilers please. I'm still on episode one
                  Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                    hey... no spoilers please. I'm still on episode one
                    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

does it have the music background from the era.....rolling stones paint it black etc...
                      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                        does it have the music background from the era.....rolling stones paint it black etc...
                        Yes, full playlist for each episode at the below link

The Vietnam War features a soundtrack with more than 120 popular songs that define the era. Explore a selection of the songs featured in each episode.

Comment

Working...
                        X